Add to my confusion - Amp Choices

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Add to my confusion - Amp Choices
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2013, 07:00 am »
I have 1.7s and a lower end Krell (Showcase 7 & 400XI).  I would recommend against a Krell & will be getting rid of mine when I find a better suitable solid state amp. Yeah, it's got loads of current, incredible speed and bass, but it is just too damn hard & dry (some would say brittle). NOTHING I do gets that hardness out. Not even an older tube preamp.

Best solid state brands to me, If you've got the $ :

1) Ayre.  Heard a 150WPC version w/ 1.7's.  Awesome.  Everything you could ask for.
2) Simaudio.  Haven't heard w/ maggies, but everything I have heard to them sounds great.
3) Hegel.  Probably the best value for the money.  The $10K one that Jeff @ Command Performance AV is among the best I've heard as well.  Surely they have something else at lower cost that get's you much of the same for less (e.g. the HD300? integrated amp).

Any of those three are going to be neck in neck.

4) Someone somewhere out there has got to have a great class d amp.  Heard my 1.7's w/ Bel Canto REF500MKII monoblocks.  Better than I expected, but not good enough, particularly not for $4K a pair. 

5) And lastly, I wouldn't be so hasty to move away from AVA.  I'd demo the fetvalve series.  I will tomorrow.

Tube amps? 

1) Conrad Johnson
2) Rogue Audio

Will have to think that one through more.  I'd tend towards Conrad Johnson vs Audio Research.  AR to me is too SS sounding (particularly there newer amps) and doesn't do the magic in the mid range.  CJ doesn't have those problems, is very musical and though the brand is still well respected, I'm starting to see a lot of stuff in the used & demo market go for very attractive prices, particularly for solid state.  CJ does great SS amps as well, but as you seem to be leaning towards more "modern / new" SS, and CJ has no new SS offerings, hadn't put it on the above list.   

I've heard Rogue w/ 1.7's and with other speakers.  Always sounded good at very good prices.

KLH007

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2013, 07:07 pm »
It's too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to Klaus, he can make amps voiced for Maggies, and they have plenty of "drive". You should also consider letting Frank make the amp into a Fet-Valve or Synergy, great results and maybe the most cost effective. The amps from Modwright and Arion sounded great in their systems at the show. Enjoy your new amp, I mean dining room table. LOL
A bit of an update – I have yet to make a purchase because my wife decided that a dining room table was more important.

I happened to have some extra time on a business trip and spent Friday afternoon at the Capital Audio Fest.  I really like these kinds of shows and I meet lots of great people.

On the electronics side of things, what really appealed to me was Modwright and Arion Audio.  It is hard to tell what specific pieces are contributing in these demos, but I think I need to look at these two more closely. 

Also, I didn't get a chance to check out Odyssey Audio because the door was locked – maybe next time.

Brian

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:01 pm »
AVA Fet-valve 600R sounded awesome.  For me fetvalve would be the choice to get more liquidity for 2 channel, but have to recognize that if you don't obsess over that last 5%, the klaus amps have it all over in terms of bang for buck. 

Klaus's amps I could see having synergy w/ maggies as they are a touch darker.  As already noted and per his website, it seems he could voice it to your maggies as well.  He knows maggies as 1.7's are in his home system according to him.  Sort of like the fact that he can customize cosmetics as well if you don't want to go for such a basic aesthetic via the AVA.  Was very tempted for my SS / HT system.........

Anyway - for future consideration. 

avta

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:56 pm »
You may be thinking too much about your present system re the amp. If you are going to change speakers in a year or so you might want to wait to see where that leads you. For example, you might prefer a more efficient speaker ( for example the Devore Orangutan 0/96 ) which would allow for  different types of amplifiers. For example you might enjoy one of the Shindo tube amps with one of their preamps. I recently added a Shindo Aurieges preamp to a pair of Quicksilver Silver mono 88 amps ( KT88 tube monoblocks ). I have Harbeth Compact 7 speakers. I tried DAC derived volume control ( Anedio DAC1 ) and a passive pre ( Creek ) but was not quite satisfied. The addition of the Aurieges has improved the sound significantly along the lines you are looking for. Hope these ideas are of help. I have no connection with any of these companies other than being a customer.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2013, 03:12 pm »
You may be thinking too much about your present system re the amp. If you are going to change speakers in a year or so you might want to wait to see where that leads you.

I think this is good advice. Work on the dining room while you audition more speaker/amp combinations. Try to buy the speaker and amp together, as though they are meant for each other. You will know it when you hear it.

briang

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:53 pm »
I purchased the D-Sonic M3-1200S and just received it today.

I would like to thank jarcher and avta for reminding me that it makes no sense to spend big $s on an amp before I have my speakers sorted.  I guess I become shortsighted when I am in lust mode.  So, I started thinking about sub $2k options more out of curiosity than looking for a long term solution.  Last Monday, I contacted D-Sonic with some questions.  Dennis Deacon was helpful and I ordered the amp.  If I don't like it, I will send it back.  If I do like it, then I will keep it and sell the AVA, which would hopefully result in a $700ish total expenditure.

The initial impressions are positive.  The sturdiness and build quality are better than expected.  I will post my longer term impressions in case anyone is interested.

Brian

briang

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2013, 01:41 am »
Well...it has only been a few days, but the D-Sonic is staying.  I will provide more detailed thoughts in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Brian

wisnon

« Reply #27 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:06 am »
I recently bought that new Job 225 amp for $1500. 6moons gave it a very glowing review including a Blue Moon award. This amp is the best AC powered amp that I have ever had at my place, even better sounding than the Ncores. It has fantastic depth and musicality.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/job/1.html

Tom, I agree again. Great minds think alike. LoL

Having actually been inside the factory recently and seeing final assembly, I can vouch 1000%.

wisnon

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:08 am »
I have heard good things about the Job's, just  not enuff power for 3.7's ....................
210wpc not enuff?

Rocket

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:03 am »
Hi Brian,

It sounds like ultimately you want to upgrade your speakers but can't do so at the moment.  I've always found that major improvements occur when I upgrade speakers compared with electronics. If gain is an issue why not contact Van Alstine and have it reduced for your system which I'm sure will be quite cost effective.

Are you happy with the amplifier that you currently have or are you looking for a different sound?  Its always best if you can have an audition inhouse if at all possible.

Cheers Rod

briang

« Reply #30 on: 2 Oct 2013, 07:31 pm »
Another update:

I have had the D-Sonic amp running almost continuously since its arrival – pushing 400 hours.  The break in process has been noticeable.  The amp sounded a little tight at first and then went through periods of sounding dull then bright, but seems to have settled nicely.  I am very happy with the amp for $1,600 and I would characterize it as very even with tons of easy detail.  My concerns with a class D amp were a lack of musicality and flat or 2 dimensional soundstage.  The musicality is at least equal to what I have been using.  I would not describe the D-Sonic as dripping with emotion.  Rather, the amp has more of a matter of fact personality.  The soundstage, on the other hand, really had me perplexed for a while.  The soundstage was not particularly layered, but background instruments and vocals were appropriately spaced and sized, yet it sounded confusing.  After going back and forth with the AVA amp, I came to some interesting conclusions.  The AVA was also displaying background instruments and vocals in the appropriate space and with the correct size, although fuzzier.  Yet the AVA’s soundstage seemed deeper.  I then realized that the AVA amp was also rounding the leading edge of background instruments creating a greater sense of depth.  The D-Sonic on the other had was not rounding anything, so background instruments had appropriate space and size, but the dynamics seems closer creating my soundstage confusion (I think).  Once I had this hypothesis, the confusion began to subside.  Was that due to additional break-in, learning how to listen to the D-Sonic, unlearning how to listen to the AVA?...I have no idea.  Then my new power cord arrived from Triode Wire Labs.  I am a little skeptical of power cords, but have no problem sending things back.  The power cord made a very noticeable difference.  The sound became richer with more tonal colors and the soundstage gained more layering.  This additional layering completely eliminated any soundstage confusion.

In the end, I am completely happy with the D-Sonic amp for its price.  Earlier in the thread, I mentioned Ayre as an option.  I don't doubt the Ayre is better, but I am happy with the D-Sonic and it is 1/4th the price.