The best linear regulated PS

kinku

The best linear regulated PS
« on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:21 am »
I came across a few. ALWSR,Walt Jung,Tedy Padro,Belleson. I am wondering if anyone has tried these and what would you recommend for digital line level devices?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: The best linear regulated PS
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:26 am »
Judging from your WTB ad if you can diy, why not build a a LPS using Peter Daniel's PCB?  I have one for my Mac Mini and one for my HD's. 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html

BTW-what are you wanting to power?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:39 am »
Another option without knowing your requirements might be Peranders.  He has a few so look around on his site.

http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/index.php/hifi-projects/139-sps01-sjoestroem-power-supply

kinku

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:49 am »
Thanks,I am searching for a ultra low noise regulated supply,better than just using LM 317 type  for supplying a DAC chip. I have not finalised on which one to choose but started from the major source of trouble,power supply. So more than just a regulated power supply I am looking for a super regulator.
I came across Sjostrom audio but that super regulator is double the price of my DAC  (JSR04,JSR06) and I consider that is too much for my project.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:57 am »
Then maybe just diy with one of the PCB's that I linked above and then use a Belleson Reg.  http://www.belleson.com/

kinku

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:13 pm »
I would rather DIY the whole thing,just for fun...They do not offer PCBs. :cry:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:15 pm »
I would rather DIY the whole thing,just for fun...They do not offer PCBs. :cry:
Who doesn't offer PCB's?

kinku

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:33 pm »
Belleson.It is all small smd ASSEMBLED BOARDS

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:51 pm »
Belleson.It is all small smd ASSEMBLED BOARDS
They sell Regs.  Isn't that what you're looking for?  If you look at my first reply, you can buy those PCB's and the Belleson and build your own LPS.  Of course you will need some other parts. 

kinku

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:22 pm »
I am trying to find out which one is better for a DAC supply,each one has its own advantages and issues. Belleson seems like more focused on Hgh current applications and small footprint. For me I may end up assembling the whole PS on ageneral purpose board.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:16 am »
What is your source?

Low noise is more important than voltage regulation if the equipment can tolerate it. However there can be some big benefits to voltage regulation, again depending on the type of the equipment.

I recommend having very good capacitors in the power sections of the DAC, personally.

Habs Fan

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:39 am »
You might check out the excellent Salas shunt regs.There is currently a group buy in progress for PCB's and parts kits.I'm using one in the analog section of my Buffalo III dac. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/188974-gb-thread-salas-sslv1-1-bib-shunt-reg-127.html#post3519997

kinku

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2013, 04:47 pm »
Habs shunt regulators are one way of dealing with issue,but they waste energy by making lot of heat and hence huge heat sinking needed. Moreover any waste of energy is a waste and you are not doing any good to your enviornment.
Walt jung and other topologies are somewhat better in terms of heat and such issues.
Yes Destroyer I am looking for low noise supply to DAC chip which may enhance jitter issues than a regulated to 5V.My OP should have been more clear.I am looking for something that will be clean as  DC battery source and will regulate Voltage close to 5V (+/- 300mV).My source would be transformer PS

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2013, 12:38 am »
Second vote for Salas' shunt regulators.  In my experience, nothing else is as good.  I have used LiFEPO4 batteries for DAC chips, and Salas' shunts are at least as good, if not better.  These regulators require some fine tuning to suit the circuit in question, but it is worth the effort, and Salas is very responsive at diyaudio to any inquiries.
BTW, these work great for line level gain stages as well, especially with film caps on board.
My DAC runs at around 50 watts with 4 Salas shunts, but I save a lot of energy with Ncore for amplification.

sonicboom

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2013, 01:07 pm »
I've been looking at the Salas too and just stumbled on this interesting comparo:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/143693-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-608.html#post3528361

gstew

• Everything Matters!
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:59 am »
Barrows,

I know you try a lot of options... have you ever had the chance to compare Salas against Hynes, Belleson, and the Twisted Pear Tridents? I recently received a report from a friend where these three had been compared powering a DAC and the three had roughly finished even, with some differences in tonal balance. I'm curious how the Salas compare against them... nice to have a DIY design that can be used across a very wide range of voltages and currents, but they DO run HOT!

From the perspective of the regulator, I'd also add the Dexa 3-terminal drop-in replacements and the larger, but more flexible AMB Sigmas as worthy of consideration here. Ric Schultz of EVS described a mod to the Dexa on DIY Audio awhile back... replacing the error amp and filtering around it. That has worked well for me where I've used it.

If you don't want to do the exotics, the LT3080 has worked better for me than the LM317 and various Linear Tech alternatives.

Then there's the raw DC... and I haven't seen anything that looks to be better than the John Swenson power supply, which can be found on Audio Asylum. According to his writeups, he has designed it to minimize the noise fed back into the powerline from the rectification process. While I've not used it myself, several friends have and swear by them. He does use LM317-equivalent monolithic regulators... I'd consider sub'ing the ones discussed here.

Greg in Mississippi

gstew

• Everything Matters!
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2013, 01:17 am »
Habs shunt regulators are one way of dealing with issue,but they waste energy by making lot of heat and hence huge heat sinking needed. Moreover any waste of energy is a waste and you are not doing any good to your enviornment.<SNIP>

Kinku,

In my experience with audio systems, solutions that use a lot of energy and produce a lot of heat TEND to sound better than those that don't. Class-A biased amps or circuits versus AB or other types, tubes versus transistors, high-voltage circuits versus low (especially with transistors), shunt regulators versus series, high voltage drops across regulators versus low, high current settings on shunt regulator current sources, etc.

Yes, some very good designers can design past this. And still you see a lot of these low-energy-efficient / high-heat-producing solutions in good-sounding systems. And since I am not even a bad designer, just a DIY'er who implements other's designs as best as I can, I tend to go with those low-efficiency, high-heat-producing, and good sounding solutions.

See attached for my linear computer music server supply... runs hot, terribly inefficient compared to a typical computer SMPS, but sounded oh-so-much better than the switching supply it replaced!

YMMV!

Greg in Mississippi

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2013, 01:22 am »
 :o Holy rats nest!