Vista-Audio Phono-1 MkII

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Vista-Audio Phono-1 MkII
« on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:08 am »
So I'm putting together a low(er) cost vinyl setup.  I'm pretty certain this will be my phono stage as it works with MC & MM carts which I really like.  It sure does help that Boris is not only great to deal with but also seems like a fantastic circuit designer.

What's your experience with this phono stage?  What did it replace or what have you tried it against?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Vista-Audio Phono-1 MkII
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:52 am »
I can give comparisons to the MKI.  I have a highly modified Cambridge 640P that is a step up from the standard in detail and bass.  It lacks detail compared to the Vista.  I also have a Dodd with Mundorf silver in oil caps.  The Dodd is slightly more detailed, but is superior in spaciousness and is more musical- it's also 3x or 4x more expensive than the Vista. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:55 am »
Thanks.  From what I understand the MkII is completely different from the MkI. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:59 am »
Thanks.  From what I understand the MkII is completely different from the MkI.
I didn't realize that. Hope you find the info you're looking for.

tomytoons

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:07 am »
Well you absolutely cannot go wrong with the purchase.
It is that good. Very musical with everything I had thrown at it.
You can tweak it to your taste or system. My Nova never sounded this good and on the same system. Not the Jasmine or the Monolithic either, RS or Mini Max.
I have been through quite a few Phono's and I'm still shaking my head, it should be in a bigger box.

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:42 am »
Wonder how it compares to the iPhono?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm »
Wonder how it compares to the iPhono?

There have been a bunch of threads recently on Karma about budget phono stages.  One of them has needle drops and everything.  It compares the Art DJ, iPhono and V-LPS.  The iPhono was said to be harsh and was eliminated by the OP. He has or had access to a Nova which he preferred to all the less expensive ones.  Tomytoons says Vista beats the Nova.

On one of the threads on Vista Circle, someone said it beat his Graham Slee Era Gold.  I'm not sure if I remembered the name exactly right, but I looked it up and it's a $1K phono stage.  Vista looks like a no-brainer.  I could use another phono.  I have a couple of old preamps that have problems and aren't worth fixing, according to my tech.  My AHT isn't convenient to set up in another room/system so I plan on getting a Vista, maybe in black.  The options are awesome, not only for user adjustable gain and loading, but also for basic configuration - default load, capacitance and resistance.  I'm going to place my order soon.  I'll let you know what I think. 
neo

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm »
The options are awesome, not only for user adjustable gain and loading, but also for basic configuration - default load, capacitance and resistance.  I'm going to place my order soon.  I'll let you know what I think. 
neo
Yep.  I'll be buying one too I think.  I'll also send it to a friend who has an insane phono setup and see what he thinks (you know who you are).   :D

raysracing

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:55 pm »
I believe I will try and sell my not very old Cambridge 651p and have the Vista custom built for my MM cart. I like my 651p, but I believe my cart/table set-up may be better than the 651p. Well I am not sure, but there is always more to get out of the grooves to put it simply. 

neo, what settings would you recommend for my frankenstein Signet body/AT155 combo?  Thanks so much.

Ray

tomytoons

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:09 pm »
Well, the original review of the first Vista was very favorably compared to the $1400 Liberty.
That Vista was not user adjustable. What does this vII sound like compared to that Liberty?

Put another way from my listening here, present and past CD/SACD/HDCD I have had although not too shabby never sounded like this.

Another thing I'm am very adamant about is setup. The best by far and easiest Protractor to use is the KWillis Accutrac Protractor. I had one for the Rega and I have one for the Clearaudio.
Look no further. $50 you need not spend more, The difference is no "sight line" between tonearm pivot and spindle, it is already calculated and printed correctly for the particular arm.

You can tell I have been having a blast with thing the last few months.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
I have to say after living with this baby for some time now it is a no brainer. KABOOM for the buck and sonics to match. I can only imagine what a super duper out board power supply would add. BTW guys reverse the wall wart it makes a difference. Try it.
      I have yet to find fault with this device. Set up for a Linn Arkiv at .15mv which is no easy task to get right, well done Boris.

charles

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:00 pm »
I believe I will try and sell my not very old Cambridge 651p and have the Vista custom built for my MM cart. I like my 651p, but I believe my cart/table set-up may be better than the 651p. Well I am not sure, but there is always more to get out of the grooves to put it simply. 

neo, what settings would you recommend for my frankenstein Signet body/AT155 combo?  Thanks so much.

Ray

Hi Ray,
I imagine your cart sounds pretty good at 47K?  It wants to see less than 200pF total, so probably 50pF default capacitance should be good.

For resistance you can order it with no default or 1M ohm so the value you put in the sockets is what you get.  I think you get 4 or 5 pair of load resistors so just order what you think you'll need or try.  Go to Vista web site and you'll see the stock configuration, but you can order it however you want.
For MM I think 47, 42, 32K are most useful, but for dull carts 62, 70K, might liven them up. 
MCs can be anywhere from 20 ohm to 1K, generally.  You can always order resistors from Mouser, Newark or Digikey.  They're not expensive.

The Liberty phono stage that Tommy referred to is now $1750.  Considering the current Vista is said to be better than the original.....
neo

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:54 pm »
The best by far and easiest Protractor to use is the KWillis Accutrac Protractor.

tomytoons,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I just looked at Ken's site and I like what I see. Not sure which one I'll buy for my Technics and Pioneer tables but I kinda like the Megatractor.

BTW, I own the Vista and enjoy it daily. I've only compared it to the DJ Pre and of course it kicks it's butt.

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:03 pm »
Both of mine, purchased in the last four months, came with nine sets of resistors.  Boris is using Visay CMF55 .1% resistors.  If you live in a larger city, you may be able to find them locally.  If all you have is RS then they carry NTE brand, which is o.k. to test with before you place an internet order.

tomytoons

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:01 pm »
Heh, heh, heh.
Charles says "reverse the wall wart".
You want goose bump factor? Gentlemen reverse your warts!  :thumb: :thumb:
Even quieter background, more depth and separation. Oh, I left out SLAM! There was slam before.
Absolutely killer here. I'm over the top and I have never heard a piece if vinyl sound that good.
Oh, the cable is facing up now being reversed.

I think Boris should at least chrome this little thing. Damn!

Dave, I think the Protractor makes more of a difference than VTA, Keep it close to level and you got it.
15 minutes and your good to go, with minimum of futzing every time i have used it.

And Jack's got 2 of them now. I don't have room for another table here.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:25 pm »
Does anyone know what the electrical requirements are?  Does Boris even say if a LPS will make a difference?

WireNut

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:26 pm »
Heh, heh, heh.
Charles says "reverse the wall wart".
You want goose bump factor? Gentlemen reverse your warts!  :thumb: :thumb:
Even quieter background, more depth and separation. Oh, I left out SLAM! There was slam before.
Absolutely killer here. I'm over the top and I have never heard a piece if vinyl sound that good.
Oh, the cable is facing up now being reversed.

Are you kidding me. Dam, never would have thought of doing that unless I had a hum problem. Thanks, I'm off flipping my wart. :oops:
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2013, 09:55 pm by WireNut »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 am »
Does anyone know what the electrical requirements are?  Does Boris even say if a LPS will make a difference?

12V AC, 2 amp (I think).  Check out the circle,  there's a discussion on the first sticky thread.  Boris said a bigger supply might make a small difference, but it's not a commonly used supply.  Lots of DACs and lesser phono stages use 12V DC but higher performance ICs or circuits (not exactly sure) need more like 18V on the rails, + and -.   I don't really know what I'm talking about but it seems to be the way it is.    :thumb:
neo

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:46 am »
12V AC, 2 amp (I think).  Check out the circle,  there's a discussion on the first sticky thread.  Boris said a bigger supply might make a small difference, but it's not a commonly used supply.  Lots of DACs and lesser phono stages use 12V DC but higher performance ICs or circuits (not exactly sure) need more like 18V on the rails, + and -.   I don't really know what I'm talking about but it seems to be the way it is.    :thumb:
neo
Thanks.  I got one of them already.   :green:

JackD

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:25 am »
From my conversations with Boris a while back about a perspective buyer inquiring about running the Vista off of DC batteries, he said he would have to know that in advance.  Made me think the Vista is setup to run only on V AC power as it is currently sold.  If you want to do something different I think you need to talk to him in advance of ordering.  Mine sounds fine the way it is and if it didn't I wouldn't have ordered a second one.  And I already had the wall wart turned upside down as that was the position available in my Tripp-lite when I plugged it in.  Never tried it with the cord facing down.