which speakers for me

jmolsberg

which speakers for me
« on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:35 pm »
I admit I have a love affair with great sound and the speakers that have always tickled me are single drivers, just have that special something, which brings me here today.
My lovely wife has agreed that it is time to step up from our B&W Zepp that served us nicely through our college years. I have started the process of building our modest two-channel system and have recently purchased an integrated amp from Rogue Audio (Sphinx). Little background on the amp we live in Fort Worth, TX so I had an opportunity to audition quite a few different amps both tube and ss and I enjoyed them all but having a 17 month old and building a modest stereo we agreed an integrated would suit us best. The reason we chose the Rogue Audio was pretty simple it sounded great out the box, has a tube front end, and the dealer actually came to our house to audition it for us with a pair of NOLA speakers, and knocked nearly $300 off retail! We also purchased a Channel Islands DAC with power supply 70% of our music is iTunes and the rest albums, we will purchase another turntable but its not a priority yet.
Our listening area is 12X20 with ten foot ceilings, pic included. The components will go in the cabinet and speakers off to the side approx where Miss Daisy is standing, seems like we have wiggle room. We listen to jazz, blues, country, bluegrass, classical, classic rock and more, I have been know to jam some Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique and Check your Head with frequency and at some pretty high volumes. I found a video featuring the Super 3xrs and was blown away, check it out 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwm9Mwm-gc
So which Omega or Hoyt do I go with? Can I go with the Super 3s, save my money for the 6xrs or perhaps the Hoyt 1.5. I just don't know since i am unable to audition them with my equipment. In any event i know I will be happy with any of Louis' speakers but would love to hear how you guys would choose  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: which speakers for me
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2013, 06:22 pm »
jmolsberg,

Your room, amp, DAC, and music all call for the Super 3S.  Physically, being a small tower it would be a nice fit, sonically they have a huge sound so would be excellent in your largish room, not to mention they can get down into the 30s as far as bass goes.  At $995 they are a no brainer IMO, especially considering the growing array of finishes at the entry level including this beautiful EKO Olivewood that might be a nice match for your lovely wood floor........

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2013, 08:43 pm »
17 month old?

Ask for bottom weight chamber (sand/shot fillable) or outriggers to avoid tip overs.  Definitely avoid stand mounts.  I had a 5 pound cat knock over 20" x 10" x 10" speakers on 12 inch high stands.  And see if Louis can provide a smaller grill (if you want to use grills) so little one doesn't pull them off every 2 minutes.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm »
JLM makes a very good point.  Try to houseproof the child, but in the meantime you should consider the possibility of accidents by taking protective measures for both children, pets, and stereo.  In the case of the Super 3S I would have Louis make plinths that extend 2" around the base of the speaker and go with 4 spikes instead of 3.  Remember, with ballast, cabinet volume will be lost, and along with it some of the deep bass this speaker is capable of.  A dog and a toddler are definitely major factors to be considered when buying a stereo and I like your choice of gear thus far, but maybe the Super 6 Monitor up on a cabinet might be a better option, then all your gear can be up and out of reach.....and you will still have a killer system.

jmolsberg

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm »
Thank you for the input... We are definitely leaning towards the towers but do not want to sacrifice any of the sound so the plinths are a great idea. I will see what louis recommends, he mentioned he has a young one as well.

-jm

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm »
Hi jmolsberg,

Many thanks and great posts. I do have a 9 month old and he thinks he's Hercules. Very nice setup and system. Thanks for posting a picture. I do think the 3S will sound great and look great in your room too.

I will be happy to make the speakers with plinths that will add a great deal of stability to the speakers and they will look amazing.

The 3S's have the speed that I really like and also the deep bass. The RS5 driver is capable of it even though it's a 4.5" driver.

Thanks for posting the new EKO Olivewood Rob and it looks even better in person. The material has a grain as well.

Thanks again,
Louis

beowulf

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:14 pm »
jmolsberg,

At $995 they are a no brainer IMO, especially considering the growing array of finishes at the entry level including this beautiful EKO Olivewood that might be a nice match for your lovely wood floor........

That Olive is really nice ... from the pciture it's looks almost like a Walnut grain and the brownish tone is very neutral and would mate well with other woods in your home.

jmolsberg

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:36 pm »
well looks like the 3S is in our near future. be talking with you soon Louis (:
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2013, 12:57 am by jmolsberg »

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm »
Hi jmolsberg,

Thanks and great news Looking more at the picture above I really think beowulf is right about the Olivewood. It will look great in your room.

Here is a better picture of it. The speakers are smaller though.

Thanks,
Louis