Higher Buck KT88 Tube Types...Worth the Hype and $$$$???

Octadyn

Re: Higher Buck KT88 Tube Types...Worth the Hype and $$$$???
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2013, 05:39 am »
I also have to say there some tubes I have yet to try. I have not heard the EH - Shuguang - JJ's (heard these are super unreliable) - Canadian Fullers (read they are some Chinese tube) in my system. These are just output tubes. Inputs and driver/inverter can make as big as a difference. The tough part is getting the right combinations.  :?

bunky

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2013, 10:56 am »
I'm still breaking my amp in, so no comparos yet. I just am really loving the kt120s so far. I luv the body, weight, and extension that they provide. Far from lean IMO. Basically my main point.

I'm getting some 5881s which I can run and will try to find some TS 6550 black plates, and others and will revisit this thread with comparisons. I'm curious if anyone has tried the creates or psvane treasure 2 kt88s?
[/quote     If you want to try some 5881 the Russian coin base are nice also the Black Treasure KT66 is a great sounding tube.

Octadyn

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2013, 12:15 am »
OK I put the KT120's back in. But I also put in Mullard Cv4024's for driver/inverters with the Rca 5751 triple mica black plate input. Much better  :thumb: Still not my favorite but a very good sound for the money (especially when compared to EAT or TS 6550 solid grey or black plates) which are both are very pricey. They remind me a lot of the SED 6550 but better and more power/control.  Again the KT120's are being used with the higher 620V plate voltage.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2013, 03:43 pm »
"Initially we did not approve KT120 as we had not experienced it. Later on we have experienced for long enough time, that KT120′s behaved well and also the amps used in it could handle them without problems. So the final verdict is that all PrimaLuna and Mystère models can use KT120 tubes without problem."

Is Tung Sol the only maker of KT120s currently. I currently have a Quad of these within my PL5 and one thing I have really noticed an improvement on is that on vocals I can really understand what words are being sung r said

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2013, 04:38 pm »

Is Tung Sol the only maker of KT120s currently. I currently have a Quad of these within my PL5 and one thing I have really noticed an improvement on is that on vocals I can really understand what words are being sung r said

Yep, you've only got one choice for KT120s.

Audioexcels

« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2013, 08:23 am »
TTT

Octadyn