FINALLY..Found a true reference set of speakers for two channel (ATC)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
AJ,

You asked for data and then you say anything can be made to look good.

It is clear to me you know a lot about ATC such that you are convinced they are at worst a bad design or at best nothing special.

Hopefully you have dissuaded anyone from auditioning ATC.

Since nothing I say you can agree with except that ATC is an old design and things have moved on since then, I feel I have exhausted this topic.

For the sake of civility and in deference to all the expertise here at Audio Circle, I'll refrain from commenting ever again.

Now that's just being silly.  There's been a spirited debate about studio monitors being used as home speakers, the comparative value of ATC monitors vs other home speakers and other professional monitors, the validity of ATC marketing claims, the interpretation of  data, etc. without anyone seriously attacking anyone's character, at least not enough for me to step in.  And now because some people disagree with you, you're going to take your ball and go home.  And you're not even being picked on by the whole gang, you have friends in your corner supporting your argument.    Feighting at being the bigger man is a child's game and not good form.  I encourage you to stay, stand your ground, and don't leave poor Freo the fend for himself.  If you love the speaker, stand proud of your choice, defend your beliefs with honor, civility and dignity. 

JohnR

Sorry for commenting but the whole debacle caused by Shadorne seems rather silly to me. On the one hand, Freo has a speaker that he likes. On another, there's a whole debate raging about claims being put forward for ALL ATC speakers.

It makes no sense at all. ATC make two-ways. Freo has one. The available data says that the two-way doesn't have a very uniform off-axis response. Claiming that it does simply because ALL ATC speakers must meet whatever standard one believes to be true about some ATC 3-way is nonsense. These are completely different designs, they have to be.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Found some data regarding measurements and spl levels:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/87123-atc-sm75-150s-dome-mid-measurement-data.html
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_highend_studio_monitor/
http://studio-hifi.com/images/All%20About%20ATC.pdf

Looks like Shadrone was closer to the truth than .......

Jeez Freo, I thought you would have left it alone after the post previous to this one. I would have.
Why do you need objective "verification" to bolster your purely subjective choice?
Do you feel this has been challenged?
In doing so, you are stepping into an absolute minefield, as has already been shown. The very data you both have presented, shows (as Pete stated earlier) good performance (but without any context) in a single area that matters very little...and rather poor performance in those that do, audibly.
I get that you all like the sound of this brand, but I don't get the need for objective "proof", which is showing quite the opposite of what was intended.
Enjoy your speaker man, but let the "proof" stuff slide.

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
John your comments are always welcome here, and particularly well taken here.  I went back and read the beginning of the thread and it started out very nicely with Freo making a positive post about a speaker he has recently found and purchased, exactly what this circle is about.  He clearly states it might not be for everyone.  Then as the pages go on we get mired in the problems you noted.  And as usual the problems come from one or two people insisting their version of a particular dogma is the correct and only acceptable one.  Since there were no outlandish personal attacks or rules violations, I let it continue, but it's always a thread killer.  Reasonable people lose interest quickly.   

Freo-1

John your comments are always welcome here, and particularly well taken here.  I went back and read the beginning of the thread and it started out very nicely with Freo making a positive post about a speaker he has recently found and purchased, exactly what this circle is about.  He clearly states it might not be for everyone.  Then as the pages go on we get mired in the problems you noted.  And as usual the problems come from one or two people insisting their version of a particular dogma is the correct and only acceptable one.  Since there were no outlandish personal attacks or rules violations, I let it continue, but it's always a thread killer.  Reasonable people lose interest quickly.

Thank you (and John R) for the thoughtful insight.  I'm sorry if anything I posted got this helped get this so off the rails.  The references were to provide additional background data, nothing more.  The information provided is accurate.

My major points about these speakers are:

1) They are able to reproduce music louder (without distortion/break up) than any other similar monitor types I've heard.
2) They provide a near life like presentation for many (but not all) types of music.
3) They are definitely not going to be for everyone.
4) I would encourage all audiophiles to audition ATC speakers (especially ones with the SL Drivers) for themselves, and go with one's own impressions.

Lastly, I hope to have some fellow AC members stop by for a listen, and they can post their own impressions (good, bad, or indifferent).

With that said, hope to keep this thread on track.   :thumb:

« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 07:52 pm by Freo-1 »

Ericus Rex

Lastly, I hope to have some fellow AC members stop by for a listen, and they can post their own impressions (good, bad, or indifferent).

Planning a GTG Freo?    :D

Shadorne

Now that's just being silly.

Thank you for your kind remarks and I appreciate the advice.

While your kindness may have succeeded in drawing a last post from me, your charm has not quite persuaded me to continue a discussion that is going nowhere and has well and truly been exhausted. I have stuck to facts. I have provided technical support for those facts. There is nothing more I can add. People can read the facts I supplied and make up their own minds if massive driver motors (photos supplied), large diameter voice coils, short coil in long gap etc. are true or false and whether any of these facts may have any bearing on the sound characteristics of ATC designs.

Freo-1

Thank you for your kind remarks and I appreciate the advice.

While your kindness may have succeeded in drawing a last post from me, your charm has not quite persuaded me to continue a discussion that is going nowhere and has well and truly been exhausted. I have stuck to facts. I have provided technical support for those facts. There is nothing more I can add. People can read the facts I supplied and make up their own minds if massive driver motors (photos supplied), large diameter voice coils, short coil in long gap etc. are true or false and whether any of these facts may have any bearing on the sound characteristics of ATC designs.

Having listened to a number of them, I certainly need no additional convincing.

As I sit here listening to them, I  continue to be very impressed.  I must also say that the people who are not happy with the information all have some sort of financial interest connected with speakers, and as such, it's difficult to trust the feedback provided is totally objective.

It is your choice, but I encourage you to continue to provide input (some good information is there).  There are many ways to reach audio satisfaction with speakers.  ATC is one method to get there (and a good one at that)!

Eric, yes, hope to have GTG soon.   

Freo-1

Here is a review of the speakers:
http://www.avguide.com/review/atc-scm19-loudspeaker

Not OQE, but informative none the less.