Has anyone tried Goertz MI speaker cables with AKSA 55 ?

audion

These cables have much higher capacitance compared to other cables.
The MI series range from 0.5nF/ft to 1.5nF/ft. I am wondering if this can cause amplifier instability. My speakers have fairly low sensitivity, 87db and I have to use higher volume settings.

andyr

Re: Has anyone tried Goertz MI speaker cables with AKSA 55 ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2004, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: audion
These cables have much higher capacitance compared to other cables.
The MI series range from 0.5nF/ft to 1.5nF/ft. I am wondering if this can cause amplifier instability. My speakers have fairly low sensitivity, 87db and I have to use higher volume settings.
I think you will have trouble.  No doubt Hugh will confirm this (or not!) later but I understand AKSAs can take up to 2,000pF ... which is 2nF.

Regards,

Andy

Al Garay

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2004, 09:28 pm »
I used the Goertz MI 1 cables with my AKSA 100 monoblocks driving the Ellis 1801s (86db).  There was not stability problem. In fact, they worked very well together.

I replaced all my ICs and speaker cables to Vampire. So, I placed my Goertz speaker cables for sale if you are interested.

Al

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2004, 10:49 pm »
Regardless of others' experiences, I do not recommend the Goetz for the AKSAs.  Many power amplifiers are touchy about highly capacitive cables, and the risk is too great.  If an amp decides to oscillate, the outputs will pop in less than 100 microseconds, and then there are tears.    They are just too high in capacitance.

Cheers,

Hugh

Lost81

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:02 pm »
It will be even worse if you have the Nirvana version, yes?

Just asking for curiosity's sake.
I am not going to change or upgrade my speaker cables.
I am extremely happy with my current speaker cables (Monster Cable Sigma 2000).)
(It made even the cynical, pompous, know-it-all 3rd year EE majors shift uncomfortably in their seats.)

:P
-Lost81

audion

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:06 pm »
Hugh, thanks for the warning. Tears we do not want, they are conductive and cause disruptions. I'll stay on the safe side, and find some other cables.

kyrill

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:23 pm »
if you mono amp your aksa's so your amp is less than 30 or 20 cm from the speaker cable connectors does it really matter how exclusive the speaker cable will/must be?

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:30 pm »
Benny,

No, the Nirvana is about the same;  stability factor is almost identical.

Kyrill,

Yes, you are right.  A couple of feet of speaker cable makes the amp's job uncritical.

Audion,

While Al's experience was good, it's not something I'm happy with because I've done tests on this issue and know the margins.  Al's been lucky, and I'm a bit of a neo-con on this one.....  :evil:  

Cheers,

Hugh