The Clash: Sandinista! And Then It Hits You...

InfernoSTi

The Clash: Sandinista! And Then It Hits You...
« on: 31 May 2013, 05:46 am »
OK, I bought my first Clash LP "London Calling" in 1980 shortly after it came out...I remember it distinctly, as I also bought AC/DC "Back In Black" LP and The Pretenders "The Pretenders" LP (still have them all).  It was a turning point for me musically...AC/DC to The Clash and The Pretenders.  Wow...

But then Sandinista! came out.  I've read the reviews and tried to like it but never did.  Until tonight. I've got it on (a digital copy in 16/44.1). Suddenly I am comfortable with every song...like it took me thirty years.  Really?  Really....

I guess that is the beauty of music....loving it tonight!

Best,
John

Kim S.

Re: The Clash: Sandinista! And Then It Hits You...
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 09:16 am »
I'm a big Clash fan.  I too thought London Calling was much better than Sandanista.  I have both, but have not listened to Sandanista in years.  Guess I will have to give it a spin today!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2013, 05:47 pm »

That's funny. I bought the same albums at that time, except Sandinista.

That was at the end of the hay day for record stores. Everything was vinyl in the 70s and when compact discs came out it took one year and the vinyl was GONE.  :o

Rocket_Ronny

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2013, 06:33 pm »
Guess I'll dig out Sandinista.

Had always preferred London Calling as well, but.............

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

DavidS

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm »
I'd not heard many of these styles before Sandinista - the Clash's use of reggae was a stretch for me as a 22 year old.  So Sandinista mostly sat on my shelf while London Calling was always spinning (my oldest says he was rocked to sleep nightly listening to London Calling).  Love it today and really the music that Joe Strummer and Mick Jones moved onto post Clash.  Have it spinning now - some great stuff.

Kim S.

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:34 am »
Just a bit of trivia, I read that the song "Train in Vain" at the end of the London Calling second LP is credited as being the first ever "bonus track". It was added after the labels and album covers were printed so is listed on neither.  BTW, I think that last  side is about as perfect a collection of songs that can be.

dwk

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2013, 03:38 pm »
Must be something in the water - I had Sandinista! on vinyl but since I sold my 'table rig a couple years ago after not touching it for about a decade I certainly hadn't listened in 15+ years. Picked it up 2-3 weeks ago after hearing Hitsville UK on XM.  I'm definitely more open to the genre-spanning see-what-sticks character than I was back in my youth when I originally picked it up. I'm not going to go all in and say I appreciate every track, but there is definitely some awfully good stuff here.

But, well, London Calling is very comfortably ensconced in my top-10 all time album list. Sandanista! isn't.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:26 pm »
Spinning Sandinista on vinyl reminds me why I got into this hobby.  'nuff said...

Russ