The Last Stand

ajzepp

The Last Stand
« on: 31 May 2013, 04:35 am »
I grew up on 80s stars like Stallone, Arnie, and to a lesser extent guys like Van Damme, Segal, Norris, etc. I love the genre and I have some great memories from those days, such as when I sneaked into my first R rated film by myself - "Cobra". (Hey, for me it was a daring maneuver! lol)  Anyway, loved both the Expendables films, but really wasn't sure about this one. Arnie really was showing his age in the trailers and the film seemed like it was going to be a far cry from the Arnie films of old. Thankfully, I was surprised at how entertained I was. I expected it to be way more over the top than it was, but in some areas they showed respectable restraint. It was paced well and there were some really funny scenes interspersed throughout. Not a great film by any means, but for those of us who are fans of Arnie, it's a nice "welcome back". I also feared they may try to overplay the Knoxville hand, but I think they allowed him just the right amount of screen time.

I definitely recommend it for a rental when you're looking for a fun, action packed film that doesn't insult your intelligence. Welcome back, Arnie!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: The Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 07:43 am »
I agree!  I saw it in the theater; just got off work a bit early one night and was bored.  I thought it would be dumb but hopefully fun.  It turned out to be pretty well done!  Luis Guzman was quite funny, Jaime Alexander was good (and nice to look at!), and the movie hit all the right notes.  They didn't aim to high but they effectively traded upon the action hero cache of Ahnold.  In some movies you see the hero do improbably stuff and you just snort and roll your eyes, but when Arnold/Stallone/Willis etc. do those things you just accept with a sort of "of course they can do that!  They're _________!" :lol:  Honestly it works!  If Paris Hilton can be famous for being famous, why can't Jason Statham defy the laws of physics because he's Jason Statham? :thumb:

While I can't say it was a timeless classic it is a good popcorn film.  If you like Arie it's hard to imagine being disappointed by The Last Stand.