Center channel for X-LS Encore

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Center channel for X-LS Encore
« on: 30 May 2013, 09:36 pm »
Is there an X-CS Encore to match the X-LS Encore as the X-CS Classic matches the X-LS Classic? 

skeeter99

Re: Center channel for X-LS Encore
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2013, 10:20 pm »
There used to be, I bet Danny even has a kit laying around for it ...

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2013, 10:44 pm »
Yep. It's listed here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0

Only $99.  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 11:38 pm »
A pair of them make awesome monitors too. :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2013, 11:41 pm »
Or 5 for a fully matched surround system!

corndog71

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2013, 01:48 am »
Or 5 for a fully matched surround system!

That with a servo sub or 2 could be a total lease-breaker. :icon_twisted:

skeeter99

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2013, 02:15 am »
Forums can be dangerous places! Muahaha!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2013, 04:03 am »
Thanks for the info. Will look into those.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:54 am »
OK I'm rolling. Since there is a matching center channel I'm going to go ahead and build an X-LS Encore set to start with. I ordered a pair of them and picked up the wood for the cabinets today.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2013, 01:14 am »
Cool  :thumb:
I haven't heard the X LS Encores with the matching center but  have heard them on their own and they are great little  speakers.  I didn't even do the upgrades  on the pair I built for my niece and  I was impressed
Have fun with your build  and post  pics pleae  !!

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2013, 01:40 am »
I'm going to take the upgrades that last notch by adding the Erse inductors and point to point wiring the crossovers. I'm not going to use the circuit boards that come with the kit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2013, 02:17 am »
Looking forward to hearing your results , I'm sure they are going to sound  great

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:17 am »
Yep. It's listed here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0

Only $99.  :thumb:

Danny,

What would the X-CS Encore run fully upgraded like I'm doing with the X-LS Encores I ordered today: i.e. SoniCaps, Mills Resistors, Erse XQ inductors (point to point wiring on my own board), Electra tube Connectors and no-Rez? The whole shebang.

Thanks,

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2013, 05:42 am »
Hey Mike,  not sure if  you thought of it at all but  for the cost of it,  you may want to add a couple of the .1 uf  GenII bypass caps for the woofer circuit.  If I remember, they are only about $5 / piece .   Ron used them in his last set of Encores and felt they did make  a difference

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2013, 05:50 am »
Good idea Jay. I hadn't thought about it. I'll ask Danny. He won't ship the kit out until Monday. Even if I miss the kit shipment I will still have plenty of time. It's not like I'll be getting to the crossovers right away anyhow.

Mike

Ron

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm »
Mike,

What Jay said about adding the .1 uf Gen. ii bypass  cap in the woofer circuit is correct. The added bypass caps seems to improve the bass transient response. One additional suggestion is to place 1 to 1-1/2 ounces of Acousti-Stuf in the back part of the cabinet in lieu of Dacron Poly-Fil. Make sure not to block the rear port tube. Also, tease out the material before placing it in the rear of the cabinet.The Acoust- Stuf is available from Parts-Express. Both Jay and I noticed an improvement in the midrange performance using Acousti-Stuf compared to Poly-Fil. Also, the bass sounds deeper and better defined too. The X-LS Encores are great sounding speakers especially with the performance upgrades.  Keep us posted on your speaker construction project.

Ron

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:01 pm »
Danny,

What would the X-CS Encore run fully upgraded like I'm doing with the X-LS Encores I ordered today: i.e. SoniCaps, Mills Resistors, Erse XQ inductors (point to point wiring on my own board), Electra tube Connectors and no-Rez? The whole shebang.

Thanks,

Mike

The kit price is $99. The Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and Erse XQ inductors total $115. One pair of tube connectors is $25. And the No Rez is $39.95

So $278.95 for the whole shebang.

And I'll throw in all the Gen.2 by-pass caps for this one and the X-LS Encore kit for free.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:16 pm »
Danny,

Thanks. Go ahead and add the X-Cs Encore center channel kit with all the upgrades to my X-LS Encore order.

Thanks,

Mike

Ron

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:02 pm »
  I have built a number of X-LS Encores all of which had the Sonicap, Mills, and No-Rez performance upgrades. These upgrades do take the performance  of the X-LS Encore to a whole new level. My question regards hard wiring the crossovers using Erse inductors in lieu of using the standard crossover inductors and circuit boards. Does the hard wired crossover sound noticeably better? If so, in what respect does it sound better compared to the stock inductors and crossover boards?
 Also, has anyone built a pair of X-CS Encores with all the performance upgrades for use as front mains? If so, what is your opinion of their performance ?  I am thinking about building a pair if I can ever sell my existing AV-3 TL's or if someone wanted me to build them a pair.

corndog71

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm »
Also, has anyone built a pair of X-CS Encores with all the performance upgrades for use as front mains? If so, what is your opinion of their performance ?  I am thinking about building a pair if I can ever sell my existing AV-3 TL's or if someone wanted me to build them a pair.

I converted a pair of X-CS into Encore versions and then added upgrades from Skiing Ninja and used them as monitors.  Their performance was excellent and in a few ways better than the X-LS.