First time bike which one?

this_is_vv

First time bike which one?
« on: 30 May 2013, 04:53 pm »
Was in capecod and enjoyed biking it around, thought to  start biking it again. Mostly on road on bike lane...so thought to ask people here which bike is starting....

V

Folsom

Re: First time bike which one?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2013, 06:01 pm »
Depends... Do you want to keep it? Do you want a quality machine? Cheap and good for awhile?

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2013, 06:05 pm »
Do you need fenders? Commuting?

this_is_vv

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 06:48 pm »
Most of time, put it on back of car and go for bike riding with wife....not too costly but decent....

V

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2013, 07:27 pm »
"Costly" is a different meaning to everyone, but I bought these Specialized Cirrus all purpose hybrids for my daughters to use at college and they've been great in the weather and just daily abuse. The oldest one's still going strong 7 years later and minor maintenance, so to me it's been a good value.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirrus

this_is_vv

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2013, 07:45 pm »
I keep a price around 200-250$ ....

V

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2013, 07:56 pm »
Look at your local Craig's List.  There are always good deals from guys with way too many bikes.

For example, this one is in my area for $275.  Of course, you have to look for your frame size.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/3828876066.html

« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 12:43 pm by woodsyi »

srb

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2013, 07:57 pm »
Even at BikesDirect.com the cheapest multispeed road bike is $300.  At $200 - $250 you're probably either buying used or shopping at Kmart/Sears/Target/Walmart.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2013, 08:24 pm »
Yeah, I'd go used only. Even used you'll just barely be getting something decent.

You could buy a Walmart bike, but then you'll hate it. I'd avoid hybrids because if you ever want to pedal up a hill they are miserable.

My fixed gear bike now would cost me close to $2k to make. I only bought the level of quality I needed to maintain a bike that I can use for many years (and have). Just to give you some perspective on what a truly low maintenance, nice bike costs. Even with that my bottom bracket has a minor pit in it from coming loose once ($180 BB now, but now someone else makes one for $113 I'd use, mine was only $100 when I got it). The pedal endcaps have come out so the pedal life is limited, but the bearings remain good (unlike every other pedal I've ever owned besides more expensive clipless) on them and they were $110 I think. Nothing remains perfect, but I settled for what I could afford to build (over time mind you, the crankset was on another bike prior). Still replace a chain every year $25 (I buy ones that last a long time, otherwise replace every 6 months to save your gears life and maybe yours).

A decent bicycle to me is probably going to run you at least $800 new. That would be on sale too. Given that they have more parts than on mine. Even then if the shop doesn't re-tune the wheels then you'll need too at some point. Factory wheels go bad not because of parts but who put it together. I build my own or pay someone that is good at it. The big saver is newer bikes that use certain components that fail, but fail in a tolerable way. For example external bottom bracket bearing setups go bad but you can still pedal around. The internal design if they go bad everything gets wonky and destroys your frame eventually. The good news is these bicycles in this range sell relatively cheap used. That Mongoose is a nice example.

You don't even want to know what fancy constitutes.

Denverhifi

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2013, 08:27 pm »
If you're going to be riding with your wife, you should check out tandems!
 http://www.tandemcycleworks.com/index.html
Yes, a plug for my shop!

Patrick

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2013, 09:33 pm »
Sports Authority is showing a couple of 56 cm road bikes for under $300. I don't know if they are any good. Walmart has a couple of them too.

LadyDog

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2013, 10:13 pm »
Obviously the more you are able/willing to spend, the better the bike.  That said, there are a few right at or just under $300 at Bikesdirect.  Same for Performance, if you have a shop close.  Lastly, check Dicks Sporting Goods.  Again $300 can get you something and it would be a step up from WalMart, ect.

Used is good.  Though the problem with used may be the shipping costs.  $50-$75 may take a good size bite out of the budget.  So you may need to find it somewhat local.

Good luck.  Let us know what you end up with.

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2013, 11:45 pm »
V V. I just went thru this. Please read.

+1 on Craigslist, but it can be a long wait to find what you want. I just bought a mountain bike but I'm now tweaking it to suit my needs on local paved trails to the tune of more dollars. I shit canned the knobby tires, and bought some new slicks so it would roll better on blacktop trails until I get better/stronger at riding, then I'll look at road bikes. I didn't really like the hi-brid bikes and I'm not ready for a road bike so my suggestion is to test ride several bikes and get a feel for them. After you ride a few you'll know what you like. Try it for a year, tweak as needed, upgrade after you have a better understanding of where you are going to ride and how often.

Don't get hooked up on what component/bike is better then the other. Test ride several, then you'll know what you like.
Frame size is important. Find out what frame size fits you good (back to test riding several bikes). Don't go to big or to small.
After you ride a few you'll know when you have found the right one. Even if your a newbie like me, don't be afraid to go to a
local dealer. My dealer has helped me so much. I'm glad I bite the bullet and talked to him. After I got passed being intimidated
in the biking world i realize now that he is the man I need to see. Very knowledgeable local owner in the biking world.

this_is_vv

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2013, 12:21 am »
wow again so much learning....keep it coming...i am going DC tomorrow thinking to ask the guy if he is willing to sell..that...

V

WireNut

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2013, 12:41 am »
I love the looks of that Mongoose. But I can NOW tell, only after a few weeks of riding, that the Mongoose in the pic above is to big for me. My guess is that it is a 21 or taller inch frame, so ask questions if purchasing off Craigslist.

this_is_vv

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2013, 12:59 am »
V V. I just went thru this. Please read.

+1 on Craigslist, but it can be a long wait to find what you want. I just bought a mountain bike but I'm now tweaking it to suit my needs on local paved trails to the tune of more dollars. I shit canned the knobby tires, and bought some new slicks so it would roll better on blacktop trails until I get better/stronger at riding, then I'll look at road bikes. I didn't really like the hi-brid bikes and I'm not ready for a road bike so my suggestion is to test ride several bikes and get a feel for them. After you ride a few you'll know what you like. Try it for a year, tweak as needed, upgrade after you have a better understanding of where you are going to ride and how often.

Don't get hooked up on what component/bike is better then the other. Test ride several, then you'll know what you like.
Frame size is important. Find out what frame size fits you good (back to test riding several bikes). Don't go to big or to small.
After you ride a few you'll know when you have found the right one. Even if your a newbie like me, don't be afraid to go to a
local dealer. My dealer has helped me so much. I'm glad I bite the bullet and talked to him. After I got passed being intimidated
in the biking world i realize now that he is the man I need to see. Very knowledgeable local owner in the biking world.
Actually your this post has made me think of "Wait a minute" of buying any new bike.....better go to some local store and get or talk to guy and see which one you want....

i think i will go to some local store and get the right direction first...

btw where r u located

V

this_is_vv

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2013, 01:25 am »
Yeah, I'd go used only. Even used you'll just barely be getting something decent.

You could buy a Walmart bike, but then you'll hate it. I'd avoid hybrids because if you ever want to pedal up a hill they are miserable.

My fixed gear bike now would cost me close to $2k to make. I only bought the level of quality I needed to maintain a bike that I can use for many years (and have). Just to give you some perspective on what a truly low maintenance, nice bike costs. Even with that my bottom bracket has a minor pit in it from coming loose once ($180 BB now, but now someone else makes one for $113 I'd use, mine was only $100 when I got it). The pedal endcaps have come out so the pedal life is limited, but the bearings remain good (unlike every other pedal I've ever owned besides more expensive clipless) on them and they were $110 I think. Nothing remains perfect, but I settled for what I could afford to build (over time mind you, the crankset was on another bike prior). Still replace a chain every year $25 (I buy ones that last a long time, otherwise replace every 6 months to save your gears life and maybe yours).

A decent bicycle to me is probably going to run you at least $800 new. That would be on sale too. Given that they have more parts than on mine. Even then if the shop doesn't re-tune the wheels then you'll need too at some point. Factory wheels go bad not because of parts but who put it together. I build my own or pay someone that is good at it. The big saver is newer bikes that use certain components that fail, but fail in a tolerable way. For example external bottom bracket bearing setups go bad but you can still pedal around. The internal design if they go bad everything gets wonky and destroys your frame eventually. The good news is these bicycles in this range sell relatively cheap used. That Mongoose is a nice example.

You don't even want to know what fancy constitutes.

thank you, your this post made me think to save some money....made me think of this audio world...first i came to enjoy music and save money and my first DIY were 15 alpha and a 20$ full rang speaker...i thought i saved money...

Now after 10 months i ahve raal,scanspeak and ncore and looking for deqx not sure where saving the money went and the hooby took over, but what i learnt is everyone has a SPECFIC taste and it might come on bikes too

WireNut

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 03:13 am »
Actually your this post has made me think of "Wait a minute" of buying any new bike.....better go to some local store and get or talk to guy and see which one you want....
i think i will go to some local store and get the right direction first...
btw where r u located
V

Hi V V
I'm in West Chester Ohio. My dealer/shop owner is J.B. at West Chester Cyclery.