Vinyl Composition?

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
Vinyl Composition?
« on: 28 May 2013, 06:45 pm »
While rummaging through my record collection a few days ago, I ran across a couple direct-to-disc LP's pressed on white vinyl. These also were recorded at 45 rpm.
Back in the day, I was busy buying every new d-to-d big band record I could lay hands upon, plus a number of rock albums.
Shortly after I bought the white pressings, I read somewhere that these were quite delicate and did not wear well with repeated playings, so I filed them away and did not subject them to further use.
Supposedly, the black color in most records comes from some compound (carbon?) which is added for strength.
I know there have been a number of records pressed in different colors (particularly 45 rpm singles), plus the ever popular "picture records" and I imagine the same dictum would apply to them.
Any chemistry major out there who can shed light on this subject? Is it for real, or just an old wife's tale?

jimdgoulding

Re: Vinyl Composition?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 09:13 pm »
Would that label be Crystal Clear?

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
Re: Vinyl Composition?
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 10:04 pm »
Would that label be Crystal Clear?

Jim,
I'll get back to you on that. I filed them all away and will need to dig them out again, but first I need to run down to the Safeway and buy a bunch of soups and cottage cheese and other disgusting foods that don't require mastication (am having a bunch of teeth pulled tomorrow a.m.).
Eric