JRiver for Mac Now Seems Stable

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
JRiver for Mac Now Seems Stable
« on: 27 May 2013, 04:32 pm »
I purchase JRiver for the Mac a few months ago and trying an early beta version. It was much too buggy for regular use, so I decided to stick with Pure Music until the software matured. I've now loaded the 18.0.191 release of JRiver, and it seems to be quite stable. JRemote 2.35 is also available for the iPad and makes for a nice complete package.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: JRiver for Mac Now Seems Stable
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2013, 05:40 pm »
Yes, I agree.  At first I thought that JRiver sounded as good as iTunes & PM.  Now I think that iTunes & PM might sound better.   :scratch:

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2013, 06:46 pm »
Using JRiver on my Mac Mini server, recently purchased the license. Haven't looked into JRemote yet. Briefly, here are my impressions:

Pro:

1. DSP studio, all day. Excellent suite of native processing, high sound quality, and expandable via VST pug-ins. I use it for adding psycho-acoustic dip (Fletcher Munson curve compensation), and for 'fixing' shitty or bass shy mixes. But there's a lot you can do.

2. Sounds good.

Con:

1. While stable, still not fully baked throughout the whole application. Some features don't work, or commands are not adapted to Mac OS X (no way to keystroke 'quit' for example, even though 'Alt +F4' is listed in the 'File' menu.) I hope they continue to Mac-ify it and flesh out all the 'promised' features, though I have my doubts they will. Seems like a bit of a 'good enough' porting job.

2. Look and feel of the library not that great. Sort of an extension of con #1.

________

All in all, though, I think it's the more powerful software, especially given the very reasonable price. I have sent them feedback through email detailing what I feel needs to improve. Maybe more voices added could help spur them to really get on it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 12:16 am »
Make sure you have the memory play box checked.  Evidently from all the upgrading I've done with all the alpha versions it got unchecked.  What a difference!

dburna

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2014, 04:28 pm »
Reviving an old thread -- does anyone have any screen shots for what JRiver for Mac looks like in action?  Am thoroughly fed up with the iTunes/Pure Music interface (and the associated Mavericks screen sharing bugs that go with it) and want to try something else.  Am told that JRiver is a lot more hassle-free.  A few more questions:

1. Is there a good thread to follow for tips/tricks using JRiver?

2. How is JRiver 19 at this point?  Is it worth waiting for Version 20.....whenever that comes out?

3. Is XLD the best ripping software to use since JRiver doesn't provide ripping capability?

4. Does JRiver automatically sense your DAC capability and set it to output a higher sampling rate?  Or do you need to set it manually each time you want to adjust sampling rate?

Thanks,  -dB

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2014, 04:40 pm »
See responses below.

Reviving an old thread -- does anyone have any screen shots for what JRiver for Mac looks like in action?  Am thoroughly fed up with the iTunes/Pure Music interface (and the associated Mavericks screen sharing bugs that go with it) and want to try something else.  Am told that JRiver is a lot more hassle-free.  A few more questions:

1. Is there a good thread to follow for tips/tricks using JRiver?

Steve Ted_b's thread here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/

2. How is JRiver 19 at this point?  Is it worth waiting for Version 20.....whenever that comes out?

19 is very stable, and you won't have any issues. I made the transition from Pure Music to JRiver two years ago and have no regrets. It is especially great for DSD.

3. Is XLD the best ripping software to use since JRiver doesn't provide ripping capability?

Not a clue, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

4. Does JRiver automatically sense your DAC capability and set it to output a higher sampling rate?  Or do you need to set it manually each time you want to adjust sampling rate?

You need to select the source but all the sampling is automatic. If you start using DSD, you'll probably end up setting JRiver to upsample everything to double DSD.

Thanks,  -dB

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2014, 12:39 am »
It is unfortunate that Jriver does not give MacUsers what Windows users get. Movies are part of the package but not for Mac users.We ae treated like 2nd class citizens.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2014, 02:46 am »
I've about had it with Pure Music, and paying for version 2 to fix known problems, and still too many crashes and freezes with memory mode.  Is it to much to ask to be able to re-play the same song without first selecting another track then going back to it? 

I'll be following this thread with interest.  As cheap as JRMC 19 is, may just do it anyway.  Pure Music needs to develop their own stand along and reliable library software and stop piggy backing of iTunes.  And do it fast before stand alone devices like the Auralic Aries makes audiophiles abandon PC's repurposed as music servers all together.

kenreau

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2014, 01:43 am »
As a work around, I bought Windows 8.1 and installed it via bootcamp.  Then just added JRMC to try out.  Just on the  JRMC learning curve now.

Kenreau.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2014, 02:24 am »
As a work around, I bought Windows 8.1 and installed it via bootcamp.  Then just added JRMC to try out.  Just on the  JRMC learning curve now.

Kenreau.
Good for You!!! I wish I could give you thumbs up but I don't see any as I am a junior member maybe when I grow up to be a regular member there will be one! Anyway I see you found a way around the deprivation of Mac Users. Congrats! I don't want to use Bootcamp as my drive is small and it is crowded already.

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2014, 03:51 pm »
Ever since I watched thsi youtube review, I have been thinking about JRiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJRucnR8rkQ

Go to 8:00.

ITunes has been manageable so far but every new update moves away from managing a large in-house music library and toward Apple's cloud strategy.

I really don't want to learn a new interface but...

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2014, 04:54 pm »
The skins are very nice and I like the layout generally on my Macs. Not having the ability to have my Movies in the application is a bummer.It is sad that they don't include Macs.I have written to them many times but their staff ignores my eMail.

lokie

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2014, 06:46 pm »
I was hoping this thread would have longer legs. Anyway...

Could someone comment on  using M4's or other Apple Loss-less formats in JRiver? Non issue?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2014, 07:34 pm »
Lokie,

There are invisible legs like mine.  :wink:  I've been reading, but not posting cuz I've no experience, but I'm hoping to make fewer (or zero) mistakes in setting up my new Mac Mini music system. My take is that JRiver seems to offer the best system, but that it is less than perfect.

Anyone know (and can post) on why iTunes isn't ideal?

Michael

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm »
Lokie,

There are invisible legs like mine.  :wink:  I've been reading, but not posting cuz I've no experience, but I'm hoping to make fewer (or zero) mistakes in setting up my new Mac Mini music system. My take is that JRiver seems to offer the best system, but that it is less than perfect.

Michael

For best sound quality I use Audirvana Plus. It's Mac only, and it reads the iTunes music database. I rip everything to AIFF format (preserves all the metadata like artwork, artist name, track number, etc.). WAV does not preserve metadata and FLAC and Apple Lossless place a burden on the Mac to decompress the file during playback which degrades quality (in my experience). So, I open the AIFF files in iTunes and have iTunes set to copy to music folder. I can import the AIFF files from any place onto my dedicated music hard drive this way.

When playing music I have iTunes closed and just use Audirvana Plus (nothing else running and the Mac optimized for audio playback--for example background processes such as Spotlight are turned off). I do not use Audirvana's "iTunes integrated mode." I turn that off. Audirvana lets me load the iTunes music database and add songs to the playlist. The "+" at the bottom of the Audirvana screen lets me add files to the playlist--when you click "+" it opens a file window, and at the bottom of that window on the left is "Music". This is the iTunes music database. Open that and search for whatever you want (album or artist or song). Select what you like and add to the Audirvana playlist.

Audirvana Plus has the best music playback algorithms on the Mac. I've tried everything and it's the best (to my ears). It's also reasonably priced.

Have fun.

rpf

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2014, 12:08 am »
For best sound quality I use Audirvana Plus. It's Mac only, and it reads the iTunes music database. I rip everything to AIFF format (preserves all the metadata like artwork, artist name, track number, etc.). WAV does not preserve metadata and FLAC and Apple Lossless place a burden on the Mac to decompress the file during playback which degrades quality (in my experience). So, I open the AIFF files in iTunes and have iTunes set to copy to music folder. I can import the AIFF files from any place onto my dedicated music hard drive this way.

When playing music I have iTunes closed and just use Audirvana Plus (nothing else running and the Mac optimized for audio playback--for example background processes such as Spotlight are turned off). I do not use Audirvana's "iTunes integrated mode." I turn that off. Audirvana lets me load the iTunes music database and add songs to the playlist. The "+" at the bottom of the Audirvana screen lets me add files to the playlist--when you click "+" it opens a file window, and at the bottom of that window on the left is "Music". This is the iTunes music database. Open that and search for whatever you want (album or artist or song). Select what you like and add to the Audirvana playlist.

Audirvana Plus has the best music playback algorithms on the Mac. I've tried everything and it's the best (to my ears). It's also reasonably priced.

Have fun.

Useful info on how Audirvana Plus works. Thanks.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:23 am »
I was hoping this thread would have longer legs. Anyway...

Could someone comment on  using M4's or other Apple Loss-less formats in JRiver? Non issue?

I'm demoing JRMC 19 for Mac and no issues playing M4A's and ALAC.  Actually, no issues playing ANYTHING including all FLAC and DSD I've thrown at it. Weird thing is that it displays DSD at double it's actual bit rate, but that doesn't throw off the DAC, which plays it and shows it at the right bit rate.

I'm very impressed w/ JRMC so far.  It's VERY responsive, things load immediately even w/ "memory play" mode, switch tracks w/ no significant lag, no pops / clicks, no crashes.  Small problem : still prefer how Pure Music 2 sounds better, at least w/ non DSD files, in memory play mode.  Some have accused PM of being more "warm" and JRMC more "linear" or "neutral".  For me PM2 just sounds like it has a darker background, more resolution, more natural and musical sounding vs JRMC 19.  But I'm still early into my trials, so don't want to give a final verdict until I've had more time with it.  Also it's possibly system dependent as I'm running unmodified Macs (iMac + Mac Mini).  Looking at doing a power supply mod + SSD for my mac mini, and this may change results. 

For the time being I'd say that if you want a responsive and very reasonably priced media library + player and you like the way it sounds, JRMC 19 is an easy recommendation.  And if you don't like the sound - well there's a thousand options including an equalizer to dial things in more the way you want.  I used it to remove a 100KHZ node I was sensing w/ some office speakers I'v been trying.

I guess some will say Ammara or Audiovarna, but for those starting out you need a library to work off of, and these work off of iTunes.  In my case w/ PM I experience a lot of performance issues which I think would be maddening to all, particularly to novices.  With JRMC 19 it's all integrated, library management  + player, so you're not worried about compatabilities or whether some update iTunes is going to break your player software. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:29 am »
Lokie,

Michael

Some people don't like iTunes because they feel it's bloated and exhibits problems with very large libraries.  I haven't had issues so much with this, but I can say stock iTunes sounds pretty bad, so you end up having to use third party player software (Ammara, Audiovarna, Pure Music, et), and at least some of these have performance issues, at least in my case with Pure Music (i.e. crashes / lags / quirks / etc).  Also iTunes doesn't support FLAC and DSD formats natively - and most hi resolution files are in these formats.  iTunes only supports ALAC (and of course WAV + AIFF).  Pure Music at least tries to get around this problem by allowing you to put "bookmarks" in iTunes so it can play FLAC and DSD files.  Otherwise you can convert FLAC to ALAC so you can import it natively.  It's a bit kludgy.

So for me until Ammara, Audiovarna or Pure Music develop their own full library + player software (not just some light stand alone player for playlists), JRMC 19 is one of the few "audiophile" library + player software out there. 

lokie

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:51 pm »
jarcher:

Thanks for the response- . good intel.

Just ordered some hard drives and plan to make a copy (a third one actually) of my library to  start using with an office system and JRiver.

Probably stick w Itunes and Pure music in the big rig for a while.

I consider this two software strategy as future proofing against Itunes continued move towards cloud control strategies.  The micro aggravations are adding up with every new version and I don't enjoy the interface as much.  The album view in particular. And Pure Music seems to be getting buggier.

BenEde

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:56 am »
Hopefully the latest releases of JRiver have matured it a little.  I tried it a year ago with the "good" version 18 and it was a total mess from a user interface point - kinda reminded me of one of those old Windows MP3 players.   :?   Whatever else you want to say about iTunes, the Remote feature is just easy and great.