Where to find rigid fiberglas?

Joel T

« on: 14 Jul 2004, 06:00 pm »
With all this talk about rigid fiberglass it sure is hard as hell to find! I called Owens Corning customer service to find the dealers in my area. However, I was told that they don't sell the 700 series to residential customers because it's a commercial product and that I would have to work with a contractor. Too much hassel. So I called the local number for OC and they redirected me to customer service. Damn it! If anyone knows where I can get some of this infamous "rigid fiberglas" in the state of Texas (Dallas, in particular) I'm all ears.

davejcb

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2004, 04:29 am »
It's hard. I've had to do a shitload of calling to find some.

Check out the other companies listed on Ethan's website in the fiberglass section, call them up and ask for local distributors, as well as what products you can order without a ~12 000 square foot minimum.

I ended finding 6lbs/ft3 fiberglass through Roxul, all the OC dealers couldn't order without a minumum.

Good luck.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2004, 05:01 am »
The best way to do it is look under insulation in the yellow pages.  Just start calling until you find a dealer that will help you out.  I called 3 or 4 in the Denver area,  each one told me to call so and so and on the 4th call I got lucky.  I mean really lucky, the guy gave me 17 pieces of the 705 for free because they had been laying around so long and nobody ever ordered them anymore.  He just wrote them off.  Go figure.  :o

batmanslc2

Owens corning 703
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2004, 07:28 pm »
To report on my experience finding this, I called 800-get-pink and asked about the 703 stuff. It is commercial grade and they gave me the factory reps phone number, I called him and he gave me the name of a stocking contractor supply store here in Salt Lake city.

I called them and gave them my company name ( we have nothing to do with construction) and I went to will call today and picked up a 4x8 sheet (2 inch thick) for $30.  Just act like you will be buying a lot more.  Tell them you have a construction project at work..whatever. I want to try this out in my room and then start building my own panels, etc.  Good luck

sunshinedawg

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2004, 09:23 pm »
I think I was quoted on the phone about $15 a panel.  I think it really depends on the dealer.  Remember you don't have to use Owens-corning.  There are a bunch of insulation companies that have a similiar product.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2004, 10:16 pm »
Hey batmanSLC,

Did you come up with us to Jim Fosgate's house the other day?

Anyway, I ordred a box of Knauf Insulation board; 2" thick and 6.00PCF with the FSK backing.  They quoted me a price of about $100/box which has 6 sheets in there that are 2'x4' each.  So a little over $20 sheet.

If you want to go in a purchase together, maybe we can talk them down if we buy a few boxes.

Scott F.

Re: Where to find rigid fiberglas?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2004, 12:26 am »
Quote from: Joel T
With all this talk about rigid fiberglass it sure is hard as hell to find! I called Owens Corning customer service to find the dealers in my area. However, I was told that they don't sell the 700 series to residential customers because it's a commercial product and that I would have to work with a contractor. Too much hassel. So I called the local number for OC and they redirected me to customer service. Damn it! If anyone knows where I can get some of this infamous "rigid fiberglas" in the state of Texas (Dallas, in particular) I'm all ears.

Hi Joel,

Try this. Get out your local Yellow Pages and look under 'Insulation Materials' (at least thtats how it's listed in the St Louis phone book). It may be Insulation Suppliers or some derivation of that. Trust me, don't go to a contractor. These guys will put additional markup on the product that you can buy direct from a supplier.

The Insulation Material supplier should have listed as their services "Commercial and Industrial Insulations" (or some derivation) otherwise you may be calling a residential supplier. The industrial product is completely different than the residential. Another indicator is that they sell 'industrial pipe covering'.

You have three (major) suppliers of rigid or semi rigid fiberglass, Owens Corning, Knauf and Certainteed. All provide the rigid insulation board in differing densities 3, 6 and 9 lb/cf typically (if memory serves). These are availible in varying thicknesses, 1,2,3 and 4" (varies by mfgr). And finally they come faced or unfaced. The facing is FSK (foil scrim kraft, if memory serves again). Essentially, the facing is a white kraft paper on the outside with a thin aluminum foil adheired to the inside. This is then glued to the rigid board.

Chances are they will have the FSK in stock. The unfaced will be a special order and takes weeks to get. These guys buy insulation by the truckload so you have to wait for them to fill an entire semi trailers worth of orders before your order will make it in (did that make sense?).

Next, chances are they will have the lighter densities in stock, the heavier densities would be a special order. Same goes for the lessor thicknesses. You may get lucky and find some of the thicker, heavier stuff in stock but don't expect it.

I want to say that the OC and Knauf factories are either in Tx or Ok which might speed up delivery a bit.

If you are looking to use these as bass traps, look towards what is termed 'semi rigid pipe and tank wrap' made of mineral wool. The absorption coefficients are better in the lower octaves (as I remember, don't nuke me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helped.

batmanslc2

Heavystarch
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2004, 05:50 pm »
I could not make that meeting,  in fact I have not been able to make
any of the Utah group meetings, But I will soon!

I would be interested  in the insulation you mention. I will send you my phone, would like to talk!