Stillpoints

JackD201

Re: Stillpoints
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2013, 12:22 pm »
That's why the thread is here....it's reminding me to do some (re)trials. I use the HAL big fat dots between the modules on my VR5-SEs and I think  I want to revisit the original footers that came with the speakers just to remind myself (it's been years) what the differences are. Then I want to dig out my Aurios again, they tend to work well under anything I've put them with but they do wobble if you brush against them. My memory of those was they really were the best I'd tried but memory is unreliable here. Anyone try vibrapods as a cheap solution? I suspect Herbie's got some other footers that would work, those 'big fat dots' are not very big or fat, so perhaps some of the tenderfeet might work? The more options, the better! Let's hear from folks who've tried them.

Vibrapods leak an oily substance that might spoil your finish.  At least they used to. I tried them years ago. No idea if the company fixed that problem. :(

SundayNiagara

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2013, 12:35 pm »
Lets just agree to disagree.  You can continue to blindly throwing money at expensive tweaks without testing much less expensive alternatives and continue to blather about how great they work.  The audio industry loves people like you and I wish you the best. 

I would love to see a blind comparison of an expensive "solution" like Stillpoints versus a more reasonably priced alternative like the Herbie's products.  Of course, "rubber balls" don't quite have the cache and audiofool bragging rights some people hope to achieve with $5k solutions to $100 problems. 

Cheers

Jack

Oy Vey!

BobRex

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2013, 01:01 pm »
Vibrapods leak an oily substance that might spoil your finish.  At least they used to. I tried them years ago. No idea if the company fixed that problem. :(

Small squares of wax paper (or foil) prevent any furniture marring problems.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2013, 01:11 pm »
 Vibrapods are a VG choice. No staining to date. I believe it was Sue Kraft that first discovered their benefits. Inexpensive and very affective. Herbie's product as well. Good design is good design. Cheap enough to try.

charles

gammajo

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2013, 01:22 pm »
when the Ultra's first came out I talked to the manufacturer and he suggested putting them under the woofer module as the most bang for buck, then do between cabinets later. Has anyone tired the Ultra's under the woofer, versus between the modules? Or are you using them in both locations?

fplanner2000

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2013, 01:43 pm »
Violet- Good to hear from you.  I totally agree.  Just haven't gotten around to dealing with that yet.  Will probably use some sort of spikes.
Gammajo - I was told they worked best between the modules as that is where you want decoupling to eliminate distortion, whereas between the bottom modules and the floor, you actually want to drain the excess woofer energy through the floor.  In that case, points or something similar would seem to make more sense.

BobRex

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 02:00 pm »
Vibrapods are a VG choice. No staining to date. I believe it was Sue Kraft that first discovered their benefits. Inexpensive and very affective. Herbie's product as well. Good design is good design. Cheap enough to try.

charles
I'm pretty sure that Vibrapods were available and reviewed long before Sue Kraft started reviewing.

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2013, 06:22 pm »
Way back when I had 4 Gen III HSEs I tried what one reviewer suggested and used vibrapods between MT and BM and under as well. It would not stand up straight no matter how hard I tried. At least my guns got ripped....... :duh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VSA MT modules are all very, very heavy. The 4SR MTs weighed more than Contour 1.8s. I'd be too scared to put anything remotely slippery between the modules. I like having 10 toes.

Rouslanbel

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2013, 09:30 pm »
Way back when I had 4 Gen III HSEs I tried what one reviewer suggested and used vibrapods between MT and BM and under as well. It would not stand up straight no matter how hard I tried. At least my guns got ripped....... :duh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VSA MT modules are all very, very heavy. The 4SR MTs weighed more than Contour 1.8s. I'd be too scared to put anything remotely slippery between the modules. I like having 10 toes.
I am currently using vibropods + vibrocone combination for my VR-4
Works great - much better controlled base and opened up midrange.

I tried vobrspods only ( without vibrscones) and SQ improvements were much less pronounced - had to put the cones back.
Overall - very echonomical and quite effective solution IMHO.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2013, 10:04 pm »
I'm still using the little rubber spikes that came with my VR5 Annies...silly me.  I did however replace those black steel OEM spikes that the bass modules sit on with some really cool titanium jobbies that I got from Albert.  They sit on 2.5" machined aluminum floor protectors which in turn sit atop 3cm granite slabs (I have a wood floor over concrete).  Do the VR5s sound better?  Beats me but they sure look cool.  If I had the scratch I would have gone with 8 of those really cool Track Audio spikes that violet runs.  They are about the sexiest thing I've seen...pure testosterone baby!  But for $1300 I couldn't justify...sigh.