Pls advise- 4BST vs 3BSST vs upcoming B100 for PMC OB1

kuoann

I have a pair of PMC OB1's.

With a limited budget, I could afford a 2nd hand 4B 'ST' with money to spare for a pre amp, or a brand new 3B 'SST'.  Which is the better option?

I hear from my dealer that the B100 is due to be released in 1 or 2 months time for about US$2800 (when converted from my currency). This integrated could be powerful enough for the OB1's. Perhaps that's an ideal alternative for my budget.

Thanks for any advise!

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2004, 09:52 pm »
The PMC website says that the OB1's can be activated with the PP120 or PP 250. Therefore the 3B-SST should have enough power. The 4B-ST will definitely have enough power as this is what I use to drive my IB1s.  My guess is that the B100 might be a bit shy on power for your OB-1s, depending on how loud you listen.  I would have a listen to all three if possible.

BeeBop

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2004, 10:12 am »
I am currently driving ACI 25th Anniversary Sapphires (86db) with a 3BSST and it sounds terrific. Would definitely recommend the SST over the ST series - better highs IMHO.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2004, 12:22 pm »
Why not just buy a used 4B SST off Audiogon?

Although there are none listed now, I see them there all the time...

If you can wait, you will get a better amp at a better price.  

George

Allezvite

4BST or 3BSST
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2004, 12:59 pm »
The SST series has the refinement in the treble and midrange that the lovely tweeter and midrange of the OB-1 can take advantage of.

My 3BSST is rated @ 175 watts into 8 ohms and the PMC's are an easy load.  The only reason for needing the 4B's additional muscle is if you have a large room, and if that's the case go for it.

Other than that, I think the 3BSST will give you more enjoyment and less listening fatigue compared to the ST.  FWIW

kuoann

Bought a used 3BST.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2004, 05:10 am »
Thanks to all your advise.

I Bought a used 3BST in the end to save some money. (hope it is almost as good as the SST), though I suppose I could resell it and upgrade to SST in time.

Any advise on a preamp?  Borrowed a NAD c160. Can't seem to find many reviews. To my ears, the 3BST-NAD combination sound 'OK', but not very transparent. You *know* you are listnening to speakers and not at the Venue, 'live'.  Furtherore, it appears like a mismatch in component prices. (S$7500 OB1, S$3000 #BST... and now S$500 pre-amp).

Thanks

kuo ann

Yogus

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2004, 06:04 am »
When auditioning amps for my PMC FB1s, the biggest difference was swapping the pre's. (and yep, the BP25 was easily the best). A 3bsst wasn't any different to a 4bsst imo.

Some people use a tube pre for good effect. If you like to build your own, try http://transcendentsound.com/preamp%20kit.htm.