300b SET for a Tube Noob?

neekomax

300b SET for a Tube Noob?
« on: 23 May 2013, 05:31 pm »
What do you tube-o-philes think of a used pair (owner says 300 hours) of 300b SET mono blocks with a separate 300b tube rectified power supply. Apparently it's a design by Gary Dodd. The seller is asking $1,350.

I've only had a tube buffered preamp, and am pretty ignorant as far as circuit design and tube stuff in general, but I feel like I'd like t try tubes with as close to the 'authentic' purist tube thing.

Any thoughts? Is this a good design for a beginner? Is it worth it? Anything I should know about the advantages and drawbacks of a 300b based SET?

Thanks in advance.

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: 300b SET for a Tube Noob?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 05:58 pm »
PM sent.

Gene

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 11:24 pm »
Hey!

First thing is to make sure that the speaker you are going to use will work with 300B amp... relatively high efficient but more importantly impedance should be relatively flat... for example if the speaker is rated at 8 ohm than ideally it shouldn't drop below 6 across the range. Although there are exception to these.

I think most who tried SET and walked away disappointed mostly due to mismatched speaker used and second one I think because they bought those cheap Chinese made SET amp that floored places like eBay. A good SET amp done right ain't going to be cheap these days.

Well, good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2013, 02:13 am »
" A good SET amp done right ain't going to be cheap these days. "

I agree and have experienced this issue 1st hand. 

Dwight