How Best to Enjoy Multi-Channel SACD via Oppo?

klao

How Best to Enjoy Multi-Channel SACD via Oppo?
« on: 23 May 2013, 05:51 am »
Hi guys,

Need your help and suggestion on the topic.  Currently my setup is 2CH only. 

I'm about to assemble a 5.1 or 5.2 system for both music and movies based on my ModWright Oppo 95; Onkyo PR-SC5507 pre/pro; and the Aesthetix Calypso Sig. linestage (w/ HT bypass & is connected to the power amps for the main left and right speakers).  The Oppo 95 unit was both tube modified for 2CH and solid-state modded for MCH by Dan's camp.  I'll be listening to 2CH CD and SACD via XLR stereo (tube) outputs from the Oppo directly to the Calypso's inputs. 

For the MCH SACD playback, should I do it via HDMI cable to the Onkyo pre/pro, then use HT bypass on my linestage as if I'm watching BD or DVD?  Or should/could I use the existing XLR stereo connection between Oppo 95 & Calypso in combination with RCA outputs (C, SL, SR, and perhaps SW) between the multi-player and the pre/pro?  Or any other connection/settings?

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance and suggestions. 

Cheers,
Klao

Austin08

Re: How Best to Enjoy Multi-Channel SACD via Oppo?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 07:49 am »
Why don't you try it both way and find out for yourself. Anyway, xlr and rca  output level are difference so you need to calibrate the level accordingly. Another thing to consider is does your Onkyo proc be able to accept dsd signal directly through hdmi without convert it to pcm. I found myself enjoy multi channel dsd through my Proc via hdmi to take advantage of auto eq but IMO, the Oppo did a fine job on its own when decode dsd via its multi channels analog out, too.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 09:49 am »
The Oppo has separate multi-channel analog outs.  So I'd think you either do that or HDMI.  Personally I'd try the multi-channel analog outs (I use to use my multi-channel modded BDP-83 that way - currently sort of in process of moving and the main rig is only 2-channel at the moment as I have no surrounds connected) but it is easy enough to do both.  It you do HDMI, a one way digital connection, the stuff will be passed to the Onkyo.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 05:22 pm »
I'm assuming you have separate power amp channels for all five channels plus at least one powered sub.

One option is to completely bypass the pre/pro and run the Oppo's L&R analog outs to the Calypso and C, LS, RS, & LFE analog outs directly to the power amp(s) and sub(s).  Volume will be controlled by the Oppo's remote.  This will give you a simple, clean sounding connection to the system. 

I lived with this setup using an older Oppo DV-980 for quite a while.  Functionally it was easy to use once everything was connected and balanced.  With the direct analog connection, SACD and DVD-A surround mixes bloomed into huge soundscapes.  The same discs played via HDMI into a $1200 Denon HT receiver were not even in the ballpark.  I can just imagine how much better this setup would sound using your BDP-95.

You can still connect the Oppo to the Onkyo pre/pro via HDMI for movies, etc.  Find or build a simple four or six channel RCA switch so you can switch the amp connections for C, LS, RS, & LFE between the Oppo player and Onkyo pre/pro.  This will give you the best of both worlds.

Russ