Versalex and Amadeus squash ball feet.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Versalex and Amadeus squash ball feet.
« on: 23 May 2013, 05:29 am »
My apologies if this subject has been covered previously or is something all you owners are aware of.

I've owned my Versalex for around 9 months but noticed for the first time this morning that my squash ball feet have started to compress. As the platter favours the left side of the plinth this applies more so to the left side front and back which actually took the deck off level. I happened to possess a half dozen double yellow spot balls so decided to try removing the old ones. Using a twisting motion no problem. Now all four replaced and looking good. I will keep an eye out for future compression when I will either swap left and right sides over or replace the left side with new.

As a side note I've lost the urge to upgrade my equipment since buying my latest set up. I have however bought around 100 lp's recently. I listened to Neil Young Live at Massey Hall on vinyl yesterday and was mesmerised by it. I will give the Symmetrex mod and DPS a listen but they will have to provide clear improvements for me to part with the paper.

SteevA

Re: Versalex and Amadeus squash ball feet.
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 07:10 am »
I have been told that there have been 'discussion' on which squash ball grade sounds best. No idea if there was any conclusion reached, but I would suspect not.

Steve

ADiG

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 08:19 am »
Hello,
I have the same problem:
under the weight of the GTA, especially the right side, the balls are deformed, are lowered.
I thought you might try the squash balls with a blue dot (the original is red) on the right side of talbe, because they are the toughest, provided that this does not affect the sound, being certainly a different resonance ...
 :scratch:

rob400

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 08:27 am »
Hello,
I have the same problem:
under the weight of the GTA, especially the right side, the balls are deformed, are lowered.
I thought you might try the squash balls with a blue dot (the original is red) on the right side of talbe, because they are the toughest, provided that this does not affect the sound, being certainly a different resonance ...
 :scratch:

I just happened to have double yellow dot balls at home. They seem fine but if a different  rubber compound is better i will replace.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 05:28 pm by rob400 »

rob400

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 08:28 am »
and no I don't have zero gravity room :-)

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2013, 02:50 pm »
this topic was brought up in the past couple of weeks.  you have to rotate the balls like you do the tires on your car.

rob400

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 03:04 pm »
this topic was brought up in the past couple of weeks.  you have to rotate the balls like you do the tires on your car.

Thought so thanks

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2013, 03:41 pm »
Nice photo!  Lovely little Dynavector I spy there...
What? Finger lift?  What?

rob400

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2013, 04:31 pm »
Nice photo!  Lovely little Dynavector I spy there...
What? Finger lift?  What?

Guilty as charged Charlie :-)

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2013, 04:35 pm »
Now be honest, do you really feel you need it? The lift, I mean.

rob400

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2013, 04:41 pm »
Now be honest, do you really feel you need it? The lift, I mean.

In all honesty Charlie that is how the Versalex was delivered and I haven't considered removing it. Only an improvement in sound quality would persuade me otherwise and I haven't read anything on that subject. I bow to your extra knowledge on all things WT though so what's your view?

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2013, 04:46 pm »
Ditch it when you can... Does sound a wee bit better without.  Firebaugh never has one.
Now you know I know next to nothing......

rob400

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2013, 04:59 pm »
Easily sorted but its so so convenient and secure for these almost 50 year old fingers. As for you knowing nothing, you are too modest my friend and haven't let me down yet. By the way do you prefer the black plinth edging to the ply one? Maybe it's just a tradesman thing but I couldn't get on with the natural look. It didn't help that the staining was streaky.

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2013, 05:05 pm »
You are spot on... I bet in time all that will get much better.
50? You're a mere youth... Probably one of those Shropshire lads we read about...

rob400

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2013, 05:11 pm »
You are spot on... I bet in time all that will get much better.
50? You're a mere youth... Probably one of those Shropshire lads we read about...

Get away with you I'm a Yorkshireman  :D

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2013, 05:23 pm »
Ah, that's even better...

rob400

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2013, 08:47 pm »
Ditch it when you can... Does sound a wee bit better without.  Firebaugh never has one.
Now you know I know next to nothing......

You old sage Charlie! Arm cueing ditched and a small but definite audible improvement. Thanks again.

watercourse

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2013, 10:22 pm »
It does sound a tiny bit better without the lift, but now the wife won't touch it.

The A23 mat makes a bigger difference, in case you have to rob Peter to pay Paul...

Oh and the squash balls definitely get squashed over time. If they had balanced the weight across the table, it wouldn't matter, but that just ain't the case now, is it?

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2013, 10:47 pm »
I'm glad to see this has become a much snappier forum.....

watercourse

« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2013, 11:09 pm »
Just keepin it real and consciously avoiding fanboyitis. The Simplex is finally providing greater resolution, so the stock mat was definitely more euphonic than truthful.