XBox One High End Audio

yyz

XBox One High End Audio
« on: 22 May 2013, 04:12 am »
Anybody know the audio capabilities of the new XBox One? I saw the online presentation and i think I will be getting the device even though I do not play games. The games do occasionally come in handly when I have visitors with kids. I have the XBox 360 (a gift) and we use it for internet streaming. I no longer have a computer near the TV.

The idea of having a single machine as the hub or access point of my media is a very attractive feature. The software and hardware capabilities of this device seem pretty incredible. Voice recognition, gesture recognition, interactive TV, games, etc... Still need cable TV though but maybe not so much in the future with a device like this.

I did not hear anything about the XBox being used as a repository of high quality music files (FLAC) plus  integrated with a stereo system. That would be a feature that I would like to have. It would be great if I can sit in front of the XBox and say "XBox play some RUSH".  Then my stereo would play my FLAC file. This scenario is possible  on the new XBox for TV programs.

Any opinions on this new device. I am not sure where the unveiling presentation link is anymore but the video I saw maybe somewhere here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/meet-xbox-one?xr=shellnav

Rod_S

Re: XBox One High End Audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 10:49 am »
I honestly wouldn't expect it to support much more then the 360 does today sadly. Microsoft has always had a big stick up ther butt when it comes to supporting non Microsoft content. FLAC isn't even officially supported in Windows Media Player for the PC let alone the 360 so you have to get 3rd party codec plug-ins.

It would be great for the customer if they change their mindset but I wouldn't hold my breath.

yyz

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 02:12 pm »
After sleeping on this last night I realized that this device could theorectically be a hub connected to something like the Bryston BDP2. After all the XBox is 3 OSes including the Windows kernel and the BDP2 is Linux. They could easily talk to each other . MSFT will definitelty release a SDK for it and if Bryston did the same, someone like me (software guy)could potentially  write the integration piece.

This product could be like the iPhone (or maybe it does not become a breakthrough product). However, when I see something new and it looks like the right solution to a problem I get excited about it. This could be a game changer.

Mr. Tanner any thoughts on this device?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 03:55 am »
I was looking at their web page + videos, and this seems to be more for today's distracted generation that v wants to simultaneously watch TV, Facebook, and maybe play a game. It tries to cater to every perceived need to desperately keep people connected to their box and hopefully paying for Xbox live and content. I'd be happy with just a better game console.

With my Xbox 360 I used a $20 program called connect360 for Mac to use the Xbox as a media steamer, but frankly a squeezebox or even apple TV were more convenient (instant on / use smart phone as controller).  Xbox one is trying to b duplicate v some of these v features by turning on faster and integration with tablets etc. As previously mentioned though, Xbox 360 was limited in file v formats allowed, even with third party software. Somehow I don't see FLAC /ALAC and much less hi rez audio being a priority for  them. Lastly, even if they were supported, I can't imagine the Xbox one being much of a better / cleaner steamer than a regular PC.

yyz

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 04:41 am »
I have the squeezebox and the MAC and they are not really reliable or capable of doing what the new XBox is claiming. I am not saying the new device will work as demoed but the claims seem amazing. I am wondering out loud if the XBox One may turn out to be like the iPhone, an enabler of various third party componets controlled by a central hub (XBox One = iPhone).

In the XBox One case it brings to the table, Skype, Voice recognition, gesture recognition, interactive TV, tablet/phone remote, and an Xbox One SDK (Software Development Kit). Third-party developers/vendors could create apps to run on the XBox One and interface with their products.

For a hypothetical example, the FLAC files on the Bryston BDP-2 could be accessed by my voice commands (like Siri) using a Bryston XBox One app as the intermediary. The intermediary app would run like how third party apps run on the iPhone. The Bryston BDP-2 will of course be connected to the stereo system. I don't know if this is pie-in-the-sky thinking but I would like to see something like this happen.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2013, 05:21 am »
I think trying to control my stereo with voice commands or being forced to make gestures at the tv would be maddening. And, not a big fan of that always-connected mandatorily camera that is always watching the room, reading your expressions and your heart rate, and also listening with its stereo microphones. The opportunity for abuse is too great.

I have the same idea, but I'll be going Playstation 4 as my music server and using the Playstation Vita as the control device for it. The Vita has complete 100% control of the system.

yyz

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 08:06 am »
I just saw this post on Yahoo. So more than one person is thinking the same as me. I may not necessarily agree with his financial predictions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/mbview/threadview/?&bn=30ec85b4-d1ce-32fe-a71c-f56c94fe758b&tid=1369290488528-556d0a0e-e0ac-48fc-a6de-c48b7255a582&tls=la%2Cd%2C0%2C3

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2013, 08:21 am »
I have the squeezebox and the MAC and they are not really reliable or capable of doing what the new XBox is claiming. I am not saying the new device will work as demoed but the claims seem amazing. I am wondering out loud if the XBox One may turn out to be like the iPhone, an enabler of various third party componets controlled by a central hub (XBox One = iPhone).

In the XBox One case it brings to the table, Skype, Voice recognition, gesture recognition, interactive TV, tablet/phone remote, and an Xbox One SDK (Software Development Kit). Third-party developers/vendors could create apps to run on the XBox One and interface with their products.

For a hypothetical example, the FLAC files on the Bryston BDP-2 could be accessed by my voice commands (like Siri) using a Bryston XBox One app as the intermediary. The intermediary app would run like how third party apps run on the iPhone. The Bryston BDP-2 will of course be connected to the stereo system. I don't know if this is pie-in-the-sky thinking but I would like to see something like this happen.

Never had reliability issues w/ a squeezebox.......mac is pretty reliable as well - though pure music can be flaky.

A lot of the features you're mentioning have or are being integrated into blu-ray players, set top boxes, or even the TV's themselves (e.g. Samsung tv's w/ cameras and gesture recognition). Even the media access / control features as well, whether w/ built in software or through third party software such as Plex, Firecore, etc.

I'm w/ RClark though - I'm strictly of the couch potato button presser generation - I don't want to shout out or make physical efforts to control my media.

If I owned something as nice as a Bryston BDP-2 I wouldn't want a lowly Xbox One anywhere near the signal chain - not even for storage (and w/ just 500GB of HD space, probably not enough for a real music lover's collection, particularly of hi-rez). 

As for controlling audio content - I would trust Bryston to keep improving the control options (i-device / android / pc) for the BDP-2 more than MSFT.

Not trying to be an ogre about the XBOX One - I'd be interested in one as a game console.  After 7+ years gamers are ready for the next jump in graphics (mostly) and sound (7.1. channel finally - hopefully at HD / Master Audio quality, but don't count on it).

But all the other "features" of the XBOX One just seem "me too".  I think MSFT & Sony both have bought into the idea that having something primarily as a game console doesn't cut it - and this may be the swan song of consoles.  But no one has actually managed to introduce a high end gaming platform online or otherwise that doesn't require some advanced hardware at the users end.  Perhaps the real problem is insufficient quality media (games) w/ compelling stories & innovative game play.  Can't just keep putting out sequels to hit games.  And just see how far the original Wii got on the basis of a clever controller (and how it isn't going very far w/ their new one which is a set back).

I think in the end the ultimate central "media server" is a computer, and the ultimate controller is an i-device, smart phone or tablet - which allows you to control multiple devices with one.  Perhaps the "solution" is better software to allow one app to control multiple media devices - like the "universal remotes" of yore.

As for the server, I've seen some people build some nice high end media servers w/ careful design, great parts, all to maximize audio & video quality, unlike most mass market stuff (and different from a regular computer that really isn't built for those AV quality requirements). Most of these don't come cheap.  So in the meantime it seems like a quiet & compact PCs - whether mac minis or comparable windows or linux machines - seems to be the way to go for most of us.

ancient hippy

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2013, 05:27 pm »
even if it did work how long until red circle of death.