Anyone have experience w/ Zalytron kits?

drphoto

« on: 10 Feb 2003, 11:09 pm »
They seem to have some interesting kits, but the website just doesn't provide much info. Nothing on what's included, very few pics.

Anyone given them a try?

How would you compare to other leading kit companies, particularly Northcreek and BESL?

Brandon B

« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2003, 11:36 pm »
Their cabinets are pretty solid, 1.5" MDF on many all the way around.  Their prices are also pretty good.  

A great many of their kits are not their design, but are by noted designers like Joe D'Appolito and Orca, or Vance Dickason.  So it kind of depends which kit you are asking about.  Zalytron pieces together kits per these outside design sources specs, packages them with decent quality components and offers cabinets to match.

I bought my drivers from them, but sourced my XO components elsewhere as I wanted different stuff, and am making my own cabinets.  If you have questions about a specific kit, ask at the Madisound discussion baord and you are almost sure to get feedback.

As far as buying from them, though, no complaints.

Northcreek and BESL both completely design their stuff and are both very good at XO design and provide their own selected XO components, so you are talking about kind of different animals vs Zalytron.  Which shows in the price difference.

BB

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2003, 04:34 am »
Thanks for the reply Brandon. Are Zalytron's crossover components quality? Or are they cutting corners there. You're right about the substantial price diff for NC and BESL.

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2003, 04:49 am »
You may want to consider the Ellis Audio 1801 kit. It still provides among the best components for the money. Dave is still not making a profit on these. Also, Dave gives exceptional support before, during and after the purchase.
www.ellisaudio.com

The kits that Dennis Murphy has in his site, www.murphyblaster.com also have no profit.  You have to put the kit together buying from different sources such as Zalytron, Madisound, Soniccraft, etc. A little more effort required.

Al

Brandon B

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2003, 06:35 pm »
Quote from: drphoto
Thanks for the reply Brandon. Are Zalytron's crossover components quality? Or are they cutting corners there. You're right about the substantial price diff for NC and BESL.

They use good name brand components, but Northcreek's are better (Bambergs maybe too, I don't remember what he uses),  and I think Northcreek and BESL both measure and match the components to the drivers, so the XO response wil be as near perfect for the speaker and its drivers as possible.  Talk to Elliot and Zalytron and he might "upgrade" a kit to higher end components,  or be willing to measure/match them to the drivers.  

If there is a specific NC or BESL kit that meets your needs really well,  and you can afford it,  that's the way I'd go.  Or, as Al says, look at Dave Ellis' stuff.  I have never seen anything but positive statements about him and his speakers.

BB