Latest VR-7 upgrade(s)

fplanner2000

Latest VR-7 upgrade(s)
« on: 20 May 2013, 06:09 pm »
Just finished installing 4 new Stillpoints Ultra 5 isolators between each mid and bass module of my 7 Mk2's.  Remarkable change for the better - imaging, separation, dynamic range of both mids and highs, as well as a tightening up of the bass.  Albert turned me on to this a few weeks ago - the Ultra 5's are expensive, but in my case, saved me from the much more daunting task of speaker shopping in the $80K+ price range and trading my speakers.  These Stillpoints are quite literally transformative, at least in my system.

I also don't have anything between my bass modules and the floor yet - I've been assured that points of some sort will be equally transformative.  Can't wait... :-)

This is a very BIG DEAL in my system, as I am finally getting the 7's to perform as $100K+ speakers for about a $5K investment and 10 minutes time.  If you have a similar urge, Music Direct has a 30 day money-back policy.  I know Albert's tried this on a pair of 9's with similar results - it is pretty incredible and IT WORKS!! (at least mine do..  :D)

Delacroix

Re: Latest VR-7 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 09:44 pm »
This is very timely Harve as I was just thinking about starting a thread on the various isolators and feet people might be using between modules or under their speakers. I've not tried the Stillpoints but I have played around with various supports between the upper and bass modules. Currently I use a set developed by Herbies Audio Labs between upper and lowers though I am thinking of revisiting the original small screw in feet that come with the VR5SEs. For a while I tried Aurios, which I thought sounded really good but I could not quite get over the wobbly effect if anything brushed against the speaker, I kept imagining I'd come home to find the upper section lying damaged on the floor from some mishap. Regardless, it's clear that different footers/separators can have an effect on sonics, as you suggest with the Still points. Can you send a picture of these installed?

I also recall seeing once in a review of the VR5s that someone (was it HiFiCritic?) felt the speaker really improved when the upper sections were slightly raised at the back (memory might be wrong, the real point is the reviewer thought there was room for tweaking the angle of the upper section, but I've never tried this). Anyhow, let's hear from folks who've tried different module supports.

htradtk

Re: Latest VR-7 upgrade(s)
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2013, 02:49 pm »
Harve,

Was wondering if the Stillpoints can be used on the VR5 Anniversary MKII's in which I have. Would enjoy seeing pics of how they look on the speaker. I'm sure they add height to the speaker. Thanks in advance.

Henry

johnlee2002

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2013, 02:02 am »
Yes, that HFC review on VR5 Anni could be found here:
http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_VonSchweikertVR5.pdf

In the review, Martin Colloms wrote that:
"I could not resist trying out a suitably dimensioned audiophile ‘cone’ foot (Harmonix) under the back of the head unit, to redirect the optimal measured axis nearer to my ears. Now the sound was more expressive and ‘direct’, together with a more natural and dynamic sounding midrange timbre. Perhaps Von Schweikert might consider variations in size or spacers for the screw on hard rubber feet presently used for head unit location? A similar test indicated a rigid cone support might also be worthwhile for vibration control reasons."

Tried raising the rear of the back of the top module with a higher spike and base. and agreed with the findings noted by the reviewer.  :D

fplanner2000

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2013, 01:51 pm »
Henry-
I'm guessing the Ultra 5's might be overkill on your 5's.  They do lift the top module up about 2" - look kind of strange until you get used to it.  I believe they have smaller versions as well for lower cost.  I'll post a pic when I get the chance this weekend.

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2013, 04:01 pm »
Yes, that HFC review on VR5 Anni could be found here:
http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_VonSchweikertVR5.pdf

In the review, Martin Colloms wrote that:
"I could not resist trying out a suitably dimensioned audiophile ‘cone’ foot (Harmonix) under the back of the head unit, to redirect the optimal measured axis nearer to my ears. Now the sound was more expressive and ‘direct’, together with a more natural and dynamic sounding midrange timbre. Perhaps Von Schweikert might consider variations in size or spacers for the screw on hard rubber feet presently used for head unit location? A similar test indicated a rigid cone support might also be worthwhile for vibration control reasons."

Tried raising the rear of the back of the top module with a higher spike and base. and agreed with the findings noted by the reviewer.  :D

Johnlee -- thank you -- that's what I recalled!  I feel a whole new thread needed to discuss this so we don't hijack Harve's Upgrade theme.

fplanner2000

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2013, 10:30 pm »
Not to worry - I don't at ALL feel "hi-jacked".  As a matter of fact, here are some pics w/the Stillpoints

Delacroix

Re: Latest VR-7 upgrade(s): Stillpoints
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2013, 11:35 pm »
I think I might have confused matters by suggesting another thread. Apologies all, I'll try to tidy up the thread flow I am not sure if the Stillpoints make these look more like Darth Vader or not :)  Harve, I'll post a direct question to you about the Stillpoints on the new Still points thread. Thanks

violetmachan

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2013, 01:00 pm »
hello again harve

The Vr 7se in all forms are probably the best of albert passive speaker systems

The Vr7se are excellents speakers but very room dependent.....ie in the right room ....they could be the speakers for life

For me......the room was large irregular and very lively........but I still love my cosy living space and ......I do not at this present moment believe in a isolated, dedicated esoteric sound room.....so this is the list of things i did to get the best possible sound in my room

1. mark 2 upgrade customised to my room......albert

2.maximised the set up.....ie Tenor 350HP monoblocks, tenor preamps, emmlabs xds1 and vsa masterbuilt signature cables.( the tenor combo upgrade is magical)

3.Sound treatment.......extensive but very subtle .ie bass traps corner traps, diffusors pannels rpg, relector pannels.......most of the disguised under silk

4. track audio spikes......adjustables.....with foward incline as the ideal spot was not my settee but a high barstool placed behind the sweet spot.......the speaker array becomes very coherent ....close to a single sound at about 3.5 to 4 feet

I noticed even manny and albert have sweetspot barstools in their setup for the vr 9se mark2 at west corvina........
I did have the chance to spend a day with them in 2009 and for some reason that vsa vr9se sound stayed in my mind........and hence my latest upgrade to the albert/vsa sound which i have grown to live with and enjoy.

5. My Latest upgrade to the VSA Vr 7se mark 2...........lateral move to the latest vsa vr 9se mark 2 with ci-amps for subwoofer in jan 2013 ( this is still a work in progress).......BUT......arrrh!!

Well , Harve I seemed to have sold my passionately passive violet ( speaker terms only)........to a rather active soul.......in the quest for ?.......musicial playback/recorded music.....hope it does not change in the nextfive years

so enjoy your musical ride.....i am sure your system is stunning! harve

still enjoying recorded music

active violet

« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 02:39 pm by violetmachan »

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2013, 06:14 pm »
Aha! So that's what you've been up to V  :o

Can't see a bunch of your pics. Broken links.  :(

violetmachan

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2013, 08:49 pm »
hello jack

Oooh yes......the vr9se mark2 with ci-amps ....is a new tiger to tame......just learning the art of tuning for the right sound if ever there is one........i definitely loveee what I hear!!

Must say a major jump in realism and speed from the fully passive vr7se mark2 ( which i must say an excellent one especially for scale and resolution provided the room/space is right)......

The 9s .....most of all  its features to  fine tune to work in synergy in one`s room is one major upgrade and the smaller footprint and and its very coherent sound ....as if it comes from a single driver.....delivered at normal settee level listening is pure musical delight .

I am able to open all photo links !! jack.......will enclose  photos from links from my initial test set up

hope the new links comes through.

Jack all the tuning has been only by ear......must learn to master the phonic paa3....hope it helps

harve , I preferred the trackaudio spikes for the bassunits .....as they really allowed the 7s to bloom....the bass was stunning  and pacey with much resolve and integrated with mids and highs so well that it was beginning to come together as a single sound source.
 once you titre the the bass the mids and highs also become so musical and real......I could have experimented with spikes and cups even for the M/T.....but that would mean it has to be a customised unit to fit the sockets on the bass units and the M/T rubber feet....this would have taken it to an other level.....provided the M/T on top of the bass unit was stable

the other advantage with trackaudio spikes they are height adjustable.....which helps!! especially with the height of the 7s......and they are very  well made......and do not cost the earth!!! ( I do not have any financial interest in the company)

I presume that ....you harve should jump ship to the 9s ......especially with all that stunning matching hardware and not spend anymore on upgrades ......well the only one or ultimate that would really matter is a specially designed sound room for the vsa vr7se mark 2s

cheers

activeviolet

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2013, 05:04 am »
Congrats violet! They must sound awesome with the Tenors. You'll have gobs of headroom to go with the delicacy and texture for sure. I'll be visiting Rodney (Holli88) to hear his 9 SE Mk2 set up in July. It seems the 9'ers are growing in number! For those of us who went from SEs to Mk2s the speaker is a whole different animal. They do take a bit more effort to set up because they are so much more transparent but the rewards are well worth it as you are already beginning to see.  :thumb:

By the way, I loooooooooove your red Cassina. I use an Auckland myself.  :green:

fplanner2000

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2013, 11:02 pm »
Violet - YOU DOG!!!!  Just when I thought I was getting happy.... :D  Huge congrats on the 9's - I have never really seen them as a step-up, but as a lateral move.  It seems you are finding more sonic potential in the 9's making it look like they might really be a step up from my modded 7's.  I would just need 4 more of those hockey pucks .... HMmmmmmm..... You've now got me thinking, never a good thing for my bank account.  Maybe I'll give Albert a call....

Jack - what additional benefits other than those mentioned above, do you find the 9's have over the 9's?

Thanks - I think I may be starting to get a bit envious, again not good for my bank account, but VERY good for my bankers,,, :D

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2013, 11:54 pm »
Definitely NOT a lateral move!   :duh:

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2013, 12:43 am »
Violet - YOU DOG!!!!  Just when I thought I was getting happy.... :D  Huge congrats on the 9's - I have never really seen them as a step-up, but as a lateral move.  It seems you are finding more sonic potential in the 9's making it look like they might really be a step up from my modded 7's.  I would just need 4 more of those hockey pucks .... HMmmmmmm..... You've now got me thinking, never a good thing for my bank account.  Maybe I'll give Albert a call....

Jack - what additional benefits other than those mentioned above, do you find the 9's have over the 9's?

Thanks - I think I may be starting to get a bit envious, again not good for my bank account, but VERY good for my bankers,,, :D

It's really just a better loudspeaker top to bottom and side to side. It was really disconcerting at first because from the outside the only thing that is different is the midrange coating. You look at the speakers and ask "how can this be?". For one bass is tighter and punchier. I attribute that to the triple wall construction. Despite the very thick walls and internal bracing it turned out the cabinets were still sucking up some of that precious energy. Then there's the added coherence, linearity and transparency which I attribute jointly to the new XO which is totally different in layout as well as many of the parts used and the midrange driver. I had both XOs in hand to compare. I'm a bit of a parts hound because I have DIY stuff commissioned to support local artisans. There are parts in the XO I've never seen before even after years of visiting the biggest parts sites. Too bad I wasn't allowed to take pictures. I compared the mids too. From the rear they have different structures. Then there's the internal wiring change....

Basically the difference is analogous to that between a 5 SE and a 5 Anniversary Mk2.

The change in sound reminds me of that Daft Punk song. Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger. Add nuanced to that.

Holli82

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2013, 02:23 am »
The VR-7's are the speaker that got me interested in Von Schweikert.  Absolutely a wonderful speaker.  However, when it came time buy, the VR-9's were my choice.  As Jack said just a little bit better in every aspect.  The mk-II upgrade takes it to another level.  I am a happy camper. 

Delacroix

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2013, 03:09 am »

Basically the difference is analogous to that between a 5 SE and a 5 Anniversary Mk2.

I wish you had not said that Jack!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 04:30 pm »
I wish you had not said that Jack!

..and I'm pleased he did  :lol: :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2013, 04:50 pm »
Look  at the bright side. How many companies will take your speaker and bring it fully up to date for so little?  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2013, 08:59 pm »
Look  at the bright side. How many companies will take your speaker and bring it fully up to date for so little?  :thumb:

yeah  but....VR5SE...VR5 Anniversary....VR5 Anniversary Mk II...and there I am stuck in the middle (hmmm catchy title for a song)  8)