Star Trek Into Darkness

ajzepp

Star Trek Into Darkness
« on: 19 May 2013, 12:50 pm »
I hate to say this, cause I'm a huge JJ Abrams fan and I thought the first Star Trek film he did was supremely clever, but I was very much let down by this film last night. The first one was so well done because he found a way to sort of wipe the slate clean and provide himself a fresh canvas where he could take this story in just about any direction. The fact that he took it where he DID was very disappointing and, to me, as a huge fan of the franchise (original cast, that is), he tried to force a round peg in a square hole. Without giving anything away I'll also say that he advanced some of the relationships so far,  without the benefit of a tv series or some other groundwork to better establish them, that it felt awkward at times - namely the interaction between Spock and Kirk.

After a really great start a few years ago, I think he completely dropped the ball with this one and it's resulted in a strong lack of interest in part 3.

FireGuy

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2013, 01:05 pm »
I hate to say this, cause I'm a huge JJ Abrams fan and I thought the first Star Trek film he did was supremely clever, but I was very much let down by this film last night. The first one was so well done because he found a way to sort of wipe the slate clean and provide himself a fresh canvas where he could take this story in just about any direction. The fact that he took it where he DID was very disappointing and, to me, as a huge fan of the franchise (original cast, that is), he tried to force a round peg in a square hole. Without giving anything away I'll also say that he advanced some of the relationships so far,  without the benefit of a tv series or some other groundwork to better establish them, that it felt awkward at times - namely the interaction between Spock and Kirk.

After a really great start a few years ago, I think he completely dropped the ball with this one and it's resulted in a strong lack of interest in part 3.

That's surprising...testimonials I've experienced are just the opposite.  Going next weekend (matinee).  ST has always for me been entertaining.

abanks8

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2013, 08:07 pm »
Liked it, but wanted to love it.  Major plot holes through out. If you are a Star Trek fan you will probably know every plot twist before it happens.  As for the next film, instead of revisioning a classic Trek story, how about something from history/literature?

Many of us liked Russel Crowe's "Master and Commander", why not Star Trek: Far Side of the Universe.

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2013, 09:51 pm »
...why not Star Trek: Far Side of the Universe.

That would be Star Trek: Voyager

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2013, 10:08 pm »
Just like the last one, needed about an hour edited out. Should not need half a day to tell that story. Snoozer.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 05:54 am »
I just got back from seeing it and overall I loved it!  Editing wise...well, I would have omitted a single utterance of one word from the script. :wink:

GT Audio Works

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 01:07 pm »
I liked it till near the end then....WTF ??!!

whell

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 01:19 pm »
I try to go in with an open mind.  I grew up on TOS, and my uncle even had a bit part as a Romulan crew member in the episode "Balance of Terror" from the first season. In rebooting the franchise, Abrams has a tough job: engage a newer, younger audience while trying not to alienate the "old" audience too much.  I think he generally succeeds.  Not everyone will always like the results however, and there are several things that I wish were different in the new movies.

Be that as it may, I've generally enjoyed both the Abrams Trek films. The characters are reminiscent of those in TOS, and the acting is generally quite good.  The evolution of the Kirk character has been interesting to watch.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 01:48 pm »
I try to go in with an open mind.  I grew up on TOS, and my uncle even had a bit part as a Romulan crew member in the episode "Balance of Terror" from the first season. In rebooting the franchise, Abrams has a tough job: engage a newer, younger audience while trying not to alienate the "old" audience too much.  I think he generally succeeds.  Not everyone will always like the results however, and there are several things that I wish were different in the new movies.

Be that as it may, I've generally enjoyed both the Abrams Trek films. The characters are reminiscent of those in TOS, and the acting is generally quite good.  The evolution of the Kirk character has been interesting to watch.
I think for some one like myself who watched the original TV series in the 60's...it may seem weird to scramble the characters and events. But to a new generation of fans it is all new.
I do like the way the characters have depth and personalty and we see into their lives the way we didn't in the original..

Now JJ can we please see the Head on the bridge please !!!                     Greg

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2013, 02:35 pm »
That's surprising...testimonials I've experienced are just the opposite.  Going next weekend (matinee).  ST has always for me been entertaining.

Yep, I was surprised too lol...the reviews are very good and it has a high rating on RT.

Here is a review that someone posted on another site...I don't recommend reading it until AFTER seeing the film since it has spoilers, but this guy seems to have taken issue with the same things I did, but also makes additional points that I hadn't considered.

*SPOILERS!!!!*

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62468

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2013, 04:33 pm »
Effects are great, storyline drifts too far into 'hokiness' but is nowhere near as bad as Iron Man 3 (also great on effects but even weaker on storyline).  Glad I saw it but didn't walk out thinking wow...it was contrived and too superficial.
Too put things in perspective I thought Oblivion (great effects and storyline) was by far the more superior of the 3 - and that's with the impediment of having Tom Cruise as the star. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2013, 07:14 pm »
I do wonder/worry if the plan is to rehash every major plot line or character from TOS and the first movies.  The strength of having the movies placed in an "alternate universe" is that they don't have to follow history and canon closely.  That said I really liked the villain and Cumberbatch played him to perfection.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2013, 07:20 pm »
I do wonder/worry if the plan is to rehash every major plot line or character from TOS and the first movies.  The strength of having the movies placed in an "alternate universe" is that they don't have to follow history and canon closely.  That said I really liked the villain and Cumberbatch played him to perfection.

Bingo. He basically told us in the 2009 film, "I love Star Trek, but I'm going to set it up so we can have all NEW adventures with the characters." I was totally on board with that and loved how he figure out a way to set all that up. In fact, for the first half of Into Darkness I was pretty psyched with how things were shaping up...but then he"boldly went where no man has gone we've already sorta been before"  :duh: 

ltr317

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2013, 10:31 pm »
Effects are great, storyline drifts too far into 'hokiness' but is nowhere near as bad as Iron Man 3 (also great on effects but even weaker on storyline).  Glad I saw it but didn't walk out thinking wow...it was contrived and too superficial.
Too put things in perspective I thought Oblivion (great effects and storyline) was by far the more superior of the 3 - and that's with the impediment of having Tom Cruise as the star.

I haven't seen the new Star Trek (planning to see) or Iron Man 3 (no interest), but I did see Oblivion and totally agree that it's a good movie.  I would also add Cruise actually acted a little in the movie.  What a surprise for me.  :o

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2013, 11:42 pm »
The new Trek movies were doomed from the get go. There was absolutely no need for them to concoct the ridiculous 'alternate universe' in order to reboot. All they had to do was spend the energy to come up with a good original story within the framework already established. Since there were no series or films based on the crew's younger days they could have done this no problem. Instead they chose to be lazy because they are only interested in squeezing as much money as possible out of the franchise with as little effort needed as possible on originality. The alternate universe was not a 'creative' decision, it was pure corporate.

The whole point of the alternate universe is to allow Paramount/JJ to ability to rehash anything from the previous films/series without having to obey any 'canon', not to allow for 'new' stories or characters. It gives them the power to throw out references re-use entire lines and scenes from the old  'property' in any mishmash or permutation they see fit without having to do the work of coming up with an original story to justify it.

Hence Into Darkness, Abrams style aka Mr. Mystery Box - all hat no rabbit.

I guarantee since Star Trek IV: Voyage home was one of the most successful films that they have already been thinking how to re-do it since it would potentially reduce the budget and allow for a MIB 'back in time' scenario with hilarious hijinks. That's how these people think. They've even admitted they focus tested the Into Darkness plot to increase international sales (which they succeeded), NOT to tell the best story they could. The testing revealed unease with the science fiction aspects and preference for generic terrorist nonsense. AKA more Die Hard, less outer space please. That's all well and good except well, it's Star Trek; space, the final frontier and all that.

Too bad as it's a good cast, but a cast that may never have material strong enough to meet the potential.

If there's a franchise that would be perfect for Joss Whedon to reboot, it would be Star Trek.

or Guillermo Del Toro. You want to talk original within a genre, checkout the Trailer for Pacific Rim...

just my grouchy .02

Woodsea

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2013, 12:58 am »
Into the Darkness was fun, Sherlock was great.  But, after realizing who the villan was, I knew exactly what was going to happen.  I expect more for my money than plagiarizing.  My 14 yr old who is a fan of Sherlock, and who did not know the history of Star Trek really enjoyed it.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2013, 01:57 am »
I expect more for my money than plagiarizing. 

Agree...the scenes that fit that description just ruined it, IMO.  I also think JJ is just completely ruining the Spock character...he's just all over the place in this film.

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2013, 01:59 am »

You want to talk original within a genre, checkout the Trailer for Pacific Rim...

I have high hopes for that one...I love the cast, especially the guy from Sons of Anarchy getting the lead role. I was wondering when he would get his opportunity...hopefully he'll do a great job.

mclsound

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm »
WOW
You fellas have to get out of the past
These new movies are great....I loved them and they have great humor