Class D amplification with Tekton Pendragon

boniccie

Class D amplification with Tekton Pendragon
« on: 18 May 2013, 09:19 pm »
I am new to audio circle and recently i have been looking closely to upgrade my amplification from tube to Class D amplifier( Wyred for sound or Bel Canto). They will be driving a pair of tekton Pendragon. The reason of my upgrade is just i am looking for more Low end frequency and more dynamic. Will this be a good match or should i just stick with tubes?
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Dan

Freo-1

Re: Class D amplification with Tekton Pendragon
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm »
I would stick with tubes.  Your speakers are very efficient, so perhaps a different tube amp is in order.  Check out the Low Wattage threads.  One of the members here just got a McAllister 13 WPC Single Ended amp (Neekomax), and he loves it.

Despite some over the top posts here about Class D,  I would be VERY CAREFUL before plucking dollars on one.  They have this ability to initially grab one with a gee whiz, but quickly wears off to annoyance.   
Still, you may like it, BUT, you need to have it your system for some time to get a true handle on it.  The vast majority of tube guys I correspond with simply do not like class D sound, period.

cab

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm »
Yeah, and many people have chosen, for one reason or another, class d amps over tubes. So try a top of the line one and see for yourself because your opinion is all that matters.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm »
Class d will give you extremely,extremely articulate bass, big power and headroom, inaudible (to even bats, probably) noise floor, negligible THD through the entire bandwidth, extreme power efficiency, and a truthful, high resolution presentation of the sound with zero maintenance or headaches.

And Freo loves class d, see his TBI Millenia posts.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm »
Class d will give you extremely,extremely articulate bass, big power and headroom, inaudible (to even bats, probably) noise floor, negligible THD through the entire bandwidth, extreme power efficiency, and a truthful, high resolution presentation of the sound with zero maintenance or headaches.

And Freo loves class d, see his TBI Millenia posts.

My original post stands.  Many class D amps are not very musical through the entire audio spectrum, period.  Many of them are flat, 2-D, and brittle sounding.   Agree they are good for bass reproduction. 
The take away is, approach the amp change with a healthy skepticism.  It bears repeating that MOST tube guys simply think class D is not that good.

You may find one you like, BUT, you need to keep it in your system for awhile to get a handle on it.  With your speakers, a 13 WPC single ended may indeed sound better than a high powered class D.   What are you currently using?

TrungT

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm »
If you have a speakers can be power with Single End amp, Single End amp is hard to beat, even most famously NCore.
And not all Single End amp are equal.
SE amp sound like no other ......  :wink:
Next SET amp I will own going to be around 60W   :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm »

My original post stands.  Many class D amps are not very musical through the entire audio spectrum, period.  Many of them are flat, 2-D, and brittle sounding.   Agree they are good for bass reproduction. 
The take away is, approach the amp change with a healthy skepticism.  It bears repeating that MOST tube guys simply think class D is not that good.

You may find one you like, BUT, you need to keep it in your system for awhile to get a handle on it.  With your speakers, a 13 WPC single ended may indeed sound better than a high powered class D.   What are you currently using?

Can't have it both ways my man. And I'm telling you, there's absolutely nothing brittle, harsh (unless your material sucks), or 2D about the Ncore at least. And the Millenia is quite nice for a low power amp, as you well know. I'm surprised you didn't find that class d amp brittle, harsh, or 2D, as class d as it was, in fact, you were fawning over it, several times in several posts. You endorse that class d amp quite heavily. The Ncore is only better, and by a large margin, in every way. IMO. At least I say, IMO, and at least I'm honest.

My system sounds like utter nirvana in class d.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2013, 01:36 am by Rclark »

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm »
If you have a speakers can be power with Single End amp, Single End amp is hard to beat, even most famously NCore.
And not all Single End amp are equal.
SE amp sound like no other ......  ;)
Next SET amp I will own going to be around 60W   :thumb:

Agree.  His speakers are 98 dB @ 1 watt, so I think he could run one pretty easily.
BTW, the hype with Ncore is pretty much limited to AC.   

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:55 pm »
Can't have it both ways my man. And I'm telling you, there's absolutely nothing brittle, harsh (unless your material sucks), or 2D about the Ncore at least. And the Millenia is quite nice for a low power amp, as you well know. You endorse that class d amp quite heavily.

My system sounds like utter nirvana in class d.

I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest over Class D.  Some of them do sound pretty good, but NONE of them beat a well made conventional amp, IMHO (especially tube amp folks).  Best to leave it at that. 

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm »
I keep hearing about this "magic" and I'm looking forward to trying this out with an all tube headphone rig. But let's give class d its due. They made it. There might still be some old bad designs, but I imagine you can conjur up some crappy tube amps if pressed.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:00 am »
Of course.   There are bad designs everywhere. 
If you want to hear a true reference system, find a ATC dealer, and listen to their floor standing active monitors. 

TrungT

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:06 am »
No all SE amp (tube amp) are equal, same go with ClassD amp.
"You get what you pay for" almost 100% right.  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:08 am »
No all SE amp (tube amp) are equal, same go with ClassD amp.
"You get what you pay for it" almost 100% right.  :thumb:

Agree!   8)

From looking at the class D designs, I think the manufactures love them for their profit margins!  :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:10 am »

Agree!   8)

From looking at the class D designs, I think the manufactures love them for their profit margins!  :lol:

... is that why they keep getting compared to the top amps available regardless of price? Is that why there was a flurry of expensive amps for sale when the NC400 became available?

Let's not get carried away.

Millenia Millenia Millienia. A wealth of text.

...just sayin'. Don't be a hypocite. You should have just said you hated the TBI in your review, then you'd be much more believable now.

All the best.

TrungT

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:21 am »
I thought this's funny:
A philosopher once said "one who is questions his own ability to pee into the wind, never took it upon himself to explore the secrets he holds true to himself"
therefore one must find himself before he can ever truly pee in the wind.

And now return to regularly scheduled programming.

cab

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:24 am »

BTW, the hype with Ncore is pretty much limited to AC.

You can find positive reviews about Hypex amps on any audio board. Loads of them. Calling it hype at this point is rather meaningless.

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:28 am »
I thought this's funny:
A philosopher once said "one who is questions his own ability to pee into the wind, never took it upon himself to explore the secrets he holds true to himself"
therefore one must find himself before he can ever truly pee in the wind.

And now return to regularly scheduled programming.

Well stated!
Now, as for another tube amp, what do you reckon?

All kidding aside, make sure you try out whatever solution you come up with long enough to get a good handle on it (pun intended). 

TrungT

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:41 am »
Does not matter how good the review(s) the amp are, it's only good as your ears liking at your own home. (and your pocket book)
So borrow your friend gear is the best bet. :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:48 am »
Does not matter how good the review(s) the amp are, it's only good as your ears liking at your own home. (and your pocket book)
So borrow your friend gear is the best bet. :thumb:

Right again, my friend!  First impressions are not always the lasting ones.  Product hype on any one component from a given site is by no means universal acceptance.  Always best to try a few different products out, and trust what YOU hear! 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:05 pm »
I am new to audio circle and recently i have been looking closely to upgrade my amplification from tube to Class D amplifier( Wyred for sound or Bel Canto). They will be driving a pair of tekton Pendragon. The reason of my upgrade is just i am looking for more Low end frequency and more dynamic.
Hi Dan,

If the class D amp you choose is significantly more powerful than your tubes (most likely), then yes, the system will sound "more dynamic", physically (psychologically - who knows), especially when driven moderately hard or with program material with sufficient dynamic range.
It may even have (moderately) "more bass", again, under the above conditions, due to the unclipped waveforms/current capability of the more powerful amp, along with damping factor/load and other real world issues. However, as a non-audiophile, I might suggest adding a subwoofer (or 2 or 3) for (physically real) "more bass", rather than "amp rolling". YMMV.

One of the members here just got a McAllister 13 WPC Single Ended amp (Neekomax), and he loves it.
Figured if he stuck around here long enough, he'd go off the deep end.

cheers,

AJ