Wireless Keyboard Recommendations?

neekomax

Wireless Keyboard Recommendations?
« on: 16 May 2013, 03:08 am »
Alright y'all... lookin' at wireless keyboards for my Mac Mini based main system. The one I have, an old white Apple jammy, is not backlit, and a bit unwieldy, so it's gettin' the boot.

So, anybody know of any good backlit wireless keyboards that play nice with Mac OS?

srb

Re: Wireless Keyboard Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 03:26 am »
Do you need a numeric keypad?

If not, the Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch keyboard is backlit, compact and can instantly toggle between Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Steve

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 04:10 am »
Do you need a numeric keypad?

If not, the Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch keyboard is backlit, compact and can instantly toggle between Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Steve

Wow, thanks Steve, that thing is pretty cool. $100 is kinda ouch, but hey it's for my stereo, I'll just pretend it's audio gear  :wink:.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 04:36 am »
I use this with my Mac mini - kill three birds with one stone.

http://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-Remote/dp/B006OW1J1M/ref=lp_1194464_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1368678765&sr=1-11

Takes a bit of getting used to, but for light use it works fine.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 04:44 am »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2013, 04:55 am »
Doesn't appear to be backlit, is it?

Steve

It is - you have to press the Fn then F1 key and all keys light up amber. Do it again to turn it off.

TrungT

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2013, 05:12 am »
This work great on Mac Mini.
Sometime it onsale $20
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/Wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2013, 11:35 am »
Do you have an iphone or ipad?  Those will work.

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2013, 06:00 pm »
Trung, if that keyboard were backlit, that thing would be perfect!

Max, yes I have an iPad mini. How would that work?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2013, 06:09 pm »
It [iPazzPort 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Fly Air Mouse Keyboard] is [backlit] - you have to press the Fn then F1 key and all keys light up amber. Do it again to turn it off.

Sorry, I see it now under Product Description:  "Backlighting: Makes text entry effortless even in low light conditions."

I also didn't first realize it was pocket size, ~ 5" x 2" !

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2013, 06:31 pm »
Sorry, I see it now under Product Description:  "Backlighting: Makes text entry effortless even in low light conditions."

I also didn't first realize it was pocket size, ~ 5" x 2" !

Steve

It is really small - they've intentionally tried to ape the size / look of an iphone / ipod touch - down to the packaging.  It's lighter than the iphone / ipod touch though. 

The keys are really small, so mostly good for very light typing (URL, username / password, search phrase), but you definitely don't want to try to do any more ambitious typing.

The wireless gyro mouse also takes a bit of practice, so better for basic navigation vs say something heavy like photo / video editing.

Anyway - you get the idea.

P.s. What MaxCast is probably driving at is that using a phone or tablet to remote operate the mac mini may be better to go "headless".  I.e. whether using a VPN program or the free Remote app for iTunes (if you use iTunes).  I do the latter for music (Remote / itunes) so I don't have to fire up the projector and use the iPazzPort remote only when I'm watching internet TV (i.e. Slingbox, HBO GO, etc) or need to do basic operations on the MacMini.

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2013, 06:48 pm »
P.s. What MaxCast is probably driving at is that using a phone or tablet to remote operate the mac mini may be better to go "headless".  I.e. whether using a VPN program or the free Remote app for iTunes (if you use iTunes).
Yep that is what I was getting at.  Pic a free app to try.
further reading:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1481999