I just activated Vonage

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just activated Vonage
« on: 13 Jul 2004, 05:41 am »
Best Buy's deal on a Vonage package was just too good to resist, so I took the plunge.  The box is $80 with a $50 mail-in rebate.

For those who don't know, Vonage is an internet telephone service.  You get a box that goes between your Cable/DSL modem & your router.  You then connect up to two regular telephones to the Vonage box.  Your phone calls them area converted to data and processes via broadband internet.  The phone rings as normal and works like any other phone, with one exception- you can be online & on the phone simultaneously.

The deal I signed up for is $32 per month for unlimited calls to the US & Canada.  You can choose any area code in almost any state even if it's not the state you live in (there isn't a SD area code available yet, so I chose Minnesota).

I just activated an hour ago, and aside from my router/modem/vonage box needing to be rebooted to get started, it went smoothly.  I made a call to my Dad in ND and the sound was superb, much better than my cell phone.

Now I get an unlimited land line without having to deal with the pole-smokers at my local phone company.  And I can flip all the long distance providers the bird, too.  :finger:  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 05:49 am »
Rob,
    When I look at my telephone bill I see a variety of taxes and fees charged (seems it a favorite place to raise revenue :evil: ). I wonder if there will be any on your Vonage bill ? :? [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2004, 06:15 am »
Yeah, the basic service is $29.99 per month, but a couple of charges push it to just under $32.50.  They have no provision for mailing a bill- you manage your account online.  You can see every call, every message, etc.  Also every charge.  

Some telephone companies sued an internet phone company awhile back- the case went to the Supreme Court, and the telecoms lost.  It was determined that even though internet phones superficially resemble a regular phone, they are data, not voice, and therefore don't have to pay access charges & all the other fees that phone companies charge.

If any hidded fees pop up I'll let everyone know.  But barring any surprises, I'm already pretty impressed.

I haven't had a land line for over a year- I got fed up with the high rates and the extra $13/mo the phone co tacked on for misc charges.  It's cool to have the advantages of a land line again (clear reception, unlimited calling) without the high price and hassles.

lonewolfny42

I just activated Vonage
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2004, 06:30 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Yeah, the basic service is $29.99 per month, but a couple of charges push it to just under $32.50.  
    Looks like a good deal....guess time will tell (and the winter in S.D.)....Good luck with it !! 8) [/list:u]
      Just had one other thought....if you lose power...no phone. On a regular phone line , if the power(electric) goes out, most  times your phone will still work, as long as its a phone that does not use electricity. Understand what I'm saying ... :wink: [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2004, 06:47 am »
Yeah, you're right.  And if my cable goes out I also don't have a phone.  But as I said, I didn't have a phone anyway.  I haven't decided whether to keep my cell phone, we'll see.  I only use maybe 20 min per month, and that is almost all from home, but it might be nice to keep for travelling, power outages, etc.

So far my cable has gone out only very very rarely, and never for very long.  On rare occasion the 'net may be down for a few hours while the cable co upgrades equipment, but I won't likely be out of touch for too long.  And Vonage offers comprehensive voicemail, etc.

Again, my cell contract has some time left, so I'll see how it works.  Perhaps I'll look into getting a disposable/prepaid cell as a contingency plan.

lonewolfny42

I just activated Vonage
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2004, 07:00 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock

So far my cable has gone out only very very rarely, and never for very long.
    What about your electricity....how's the record for it ? Rarely ? Just wondering... :? [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2004, 07:25 am »
Well, it's never gone out in the winter (5 1/2 years in my current house, 12 years within about 12 blocks).  Oddly enough it's been a bit flaky in the summer, mostly only going out during bad T-storms.  Unfortunately, the last couple years have had an usual number of very violent storms.  Last summer the power went out 5 times, mostly briefly but once for 6 hours!  :o   It's gone out once this summer, and oddly enough the weather was beautiful and the day wasn't hot (not likely d/t demand).  And it was late in the eve... :scratch:

I'll condede it's a possible issue, but probably not a serious one.  I do wonder if plugging the phone & Vonage box into a UPS would work?  Certainly when you're power goes out you can't watch TV, but is that because your set won't work or does your cable require power?  If it's not tied to power, I imagine a small UPS would run a phone for quite awhile.

And I may keep a cell.  Of course, cell service has its problems from time to time as well...

lonewolfny42

I just activated Vonage
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2004, 07:37 am »
Guess there's good and bad points for everything......then again , you could always go back to an old favorite ..... http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/Carriers/BRKCarriers.html  (whats the price of seeds today? :lol: ). Have a good nite !!! (A last minute search turned this up....  http://news.com.com/2100-1001-257064.html  ....whats old is new again.. :lol: )

thayerg

I just activated Vonage
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2004, 05:52 pm »
Another point about Vonage which has come up recently is that you may not have 911 service. Not a problem if you have a cell phone but otherwise could be a deal breaker.

I was an early Vonage adopter and I  think it's great. Unfortunately I had to replace my analog cordless phone system with a digital one because the compression algorithm for VoIP made a mess of the analog noise.  But I save big on international calls and so my wife can call her folks all the time.  With cable broadband you can stream internet radio and talk on Vonage at the same time, which we could not on DSL.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2004, 06:02 pm »
I signed up for 911, although it may not be an issue for me (as I'll be keeping my cell at least for awhile- found out I still have 10 months on my contract  :x ).  

Drats.  I just bought an analog 2.4 Gig phone yesterday!  :x  :x   I haven't noticed it sounded bad, but maybe I'll have to get a digital one anyway.  I already regret not buying one that's expandable with more handsets...I wonder is the digital cordless phones respond well to Bybee's & an upgrades battery!  :lol:

I'm glad to hear someone else chime in with positive comments.  I'd hate to think I spent the money on a lemon!  I'm the only person I know that has it.  One thing I really love about Vonage is that you pay month-to-month with no %*&#!$  two year contracts.

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
I just activated Vonage
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2004, 07:00 am »
A buddy of mine just got Vonage, he had it set at the maximum bandwidth rating, sounded pretty good to me. It sounded like I was talking to someone on a Video Conference through my phone, I could tell the difference, but trust me no one else can because I had done hundred of VTC over the years.  This is not a bad way to save about $40 a month over MCI, and if the power or cable goes out, you can forward the line to another number (like your cell phone).

witchdoctor

I just activated Vonage
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2004, 04:18 pm »
I just ordered Vonage online because of your post. Thanks!