The Leafs Choke! The Leafs Choke!

werd

The Leafs Choke! The Leafs Choke!
« on: 14 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
Up 4 to 1 half way they thorugh the 3 rd period. They lost 4  to 3 to Boston ......  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

They Choked hahaha........ they are out of the playoffs..

The leafs choked

Now really are we surprised....  :lol:

mcgsxr

Re: The Leafs Choke! The Leafs Choke!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2013, 02:39 pm »
Easy to call what happened a choke, and I can see that perspective.

As a big time hockey fan, and someone who was pulling for the Leafs last night (although at heart I am a Montreal fan having been born there), I see it differently.

Boston was up 3-1 in the series, and the Leafs showed tremendous heart to battle back and win 2 games to force a game 7.  Boston then reached WAY down and found the heart to make a game 7 comeback that was tremendous hockey to watch.

I feel worst for poor Reimer, the Leaf goalie, he is the one on the cover of the papers with the awful headlines, and frankly deserves none of the blame.

Good on Boston for taking game 7 at home in dramatic fashion.

It is a very tough loss for the Leafs, and many have to sit this AM and wonder what their role in that collapse was - but, I think the credit lies with Boston for playing a great last 10 minutes when it absolutely mattered.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2013, 04:23 pm »
The Leafs can go home and watch Sergio Garcia on the Golf channel..............           oh, wait a minute...........

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 04:33 pm »
That was a tough loss but I commend the Leafs for coming back from a 3-1 deficit.  Anyone who saw the grit and determination they showed against a tough Boston team would be hard pressed to call it a choke.  If they were up 3-1 and lost in the final game, you can maybe call it a choke but they were a low ranked team and gave Boston all they could handle. 

NHL Playoff Hockey is, IMHO, the most exciting of all professional sports.  Those guys are true warriors and it's amazing to see how brutal playoff hockey can be.  Did anyone see the Habs play the Senators?  Those games were more brutal than any football game I have ever seen.  I'm pulling for the Blackhawks and hope they meet the Pens in the finals.  Both teams have a difficult road because they are playine tough opponents.  I'll be happy if the Hawks knock off their chief rivals, the Red Wings. 

Go Hawks and congratulations to Toronto for having a surprisingly good season.  They didn't beat Boston but they gave them a great fight.

Cheers,

Jack

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2013, 04:34 pm »
The Buds lost to an experienced playoff team and recent Stanley Cup winner. They have no reason to hang their heads. Next year they'll do better.
I wonder how Grapes is taking it? He pretends to be a Leafs' fan, but we in New England know better.
Doc

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2013, 04:44 pm »
Toronto gave it their best shot.  The good news is, they are young, and will get better.  They gave Boston quite a scare.  Given Boston's injuries, they may not make it the next round.
Go Wings!  I'm happily surprised they are playing as well as they are, given the big roster turnover. Chicago is a tall order, but hey, the beauty of Stanley Cup hockey is that any team is capable of going all the way.

sfraser

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2013, 05:04 pm »
The only thing quicker than the Leafs 3rd period decent
last night was Chris Hadfields!

brucek

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2013, 06:32 pm »
Up 4 to 1 half way they thorugh the 3 rd period. They lost 4  to 3 to Boston

It would be tough to lose 4 to 3 if you were up 4 to 1. You meant to say lost 5 to 4.

Anyway, it was a colossal breakdown for the leafs. Hard to imagine, but they never fail to disappoint.

Go SENS.

Devil Doc

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 07:00 pm »
It would be tough to lose 4 to 3 if you were up 4 to 1. You meant to say lost 5 to 4.

Anyway, it was a colossal breakdown for the leafs. Hard to imagine, but they never fail to disappoint.
Go SENS.

Boston sports writers have been comparing the Leafs to the pre-2004 Red Sox.

Doc

JfTM

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2013, 10:49 pm »
Carlyle should have pulled Phaneuf.

He was not the same after he took the puck to the knee.  In the third he was falling down and couldn't move people at the front of the net; one time leading directly to a goal.

I suspect Phaneuf, if asked, would say he could still go.  Any competitive athlete would.  The coach needs to step in.

spinner

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2013, 11:29 pm »
  Go Rangers............all hail NEW York :lol: :lol:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2013, 12:42 am »
Quit watching NHL hockey after their first strike and have not looked back. I came to the realization that this was not Canadian hockey, but just a spectacle of self-centred greed. Canadian hockey is playing on frozen lakes and ponds or the annual Saturday trek to the local arena to watch the kids play and enjoying a favourite coffee in hand. We will ignore the "screaming nut bar parents" in this case.

So many fond memories, rinks almost a thousand feet long on lakes with no snow cover - if someone got a breakaway, you just watched. My Mom's facial expressions when Dad brought me home from the hospital after getting stitched-up, note to file, do not stop pucks with your face. When I was in the infantry, the Battalion Hockey League was "goons r us," oh well, it went hand in hand with the job profile and for some reason, you relished catching someone with their heads down. Then came the Air Force league latter on in my career where you would "apologize" for bumping into someone -  i remember I actually said "excuse me" on one occasion. Ironically, the most horrific injuries I have witnessed was in the Air Force League and it was even no body contact.

Then you started noticing it would take longer to recover from the aches and pains that always greeted you on the morning after and the funny smell in the dressing room was BenGay or A535.

Be well...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2013, 12:45 am »
  Go Rangers............all hail NEW York :lol: :lol:

Ah, hell, New York! :banghead: :thumbdown: :lol:

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2013, 11:35 am »
I have always loved NHL hockey but the new rules, since the strike, have improved the game.  It's faster and allows skilled players like Crosby, Toews, Kane, to operate without all of the clutching and thuggery of old time hockey.  I like physical play and the new rules are a nice balance between old school tough guy hockey and finesse hockey.  Also, shootouts during Regular season are an exciting addition.  Several friends feel otherwise but the game has it all, speed, skill, toughness, etc. 

I am loving the playoffs this year.  So many tightly contested games. I'd like to see a Canadian team make a good run at the cup but it doesn't look like its going to happen this year.  Pittsburgh looks like they are going to sweep the Senators team, Montreal is out as well as Toronto.  Very sad because my Canadian friends appreciate hockey much more than most of my American friends.

I'm still sad to see the Leafs out of the hunt.  They have some of the most loyal and dedicated fans...and some of the worst owners.  The Toronto fans deserve better.  The Hawks didn't get better until Bill Witrz died.  Hopefully, the Leafs will make it further next year.

Cheers and Go Hawks!  The Hawks/Redwings is always a great matchup. I'm hoping to get tickets for tonight's game.

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2013, 01:08 pm »
and what do you think will happen to the Canucks now ? :scratch:

haxter1

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2013, 02:20 pm »
Maybe Vancouver needs to make a trade to replace the sisters.

cujobob

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2013, 02:57 pm »
I have always loved NHL hockey but the new rules, since the strike, have improved the game.  It's faster and allows skilled players like Crosby, Toews, Kane, to operate without all of the clutching and thuggery of old time hockey.  I like physical play and the new rules are a nice balance between old school tough guy hockey and finesse hockey.  Also, shootouts during Regular season are an exciting addition.  Several friends feel otherwise but the game has it all, speed, skill, toughness, etc. 

I am loving the playoffs this year.  So many tightly contested games. I'd like to see a Canadian team make a good run at the cup but it doesn't look like its going to happen this year.  Pittsburgh looks like they are going to sweep the Senators team, Montreal is out as well as Toronto.  Very sad because my Canadian friends appreciate hockey much more than most of my American friends.

I'm still sad to see the Leafs out of the hunt.  They have some of the most loyal and dedicated fans...and some of the worst owners.  The Toronto fans deserve better.  The Hawks didn't get better until Bill Witrz died.  Hopefully, the Leafs will make it further next year.

Cheers and Go Hawks!  The Hawks/Redwings is always a great matchup. I'm hoping to get tickets for tonight's game.

I have to disagree, but as a Chicago fan I'm sure that's why you feel that way. They're the powerhouse team of the NHL since the rule changes...but it's boring now compared to what it was. The bloodiness of the old game (think Wings-Avs) had to be brought down...but there were better compromises IMO. Justin Abdelkader was given a 5 minute major, game misconduct, and suspended two games for what would have been let go completely a few years back. That was a rough check and deserving of a penalty...but it's like they went form one extreme to the other for player safety. (apparently kicking a goalie in the back of the head isn't worth even a 5 minute major, though...half kidding, of course)...

I would like to see a bit more physical play and more common sense applied to officiating. They haven't been as bad with the interference calls since they made them a focal point a few years back which IMO got really annoying. Maybe they should re-think the delay of game for the puck going out of the defensive zone being an automatic 2 minutes. Maybe be more specific. Have seen that happen where a bad bounce randomly took it over and a team got a penalty.

I don't expect much from the Wings/Blackhawks series. Dekeyser was playing the best of any Wings defensemen and he's out all playoffs. The rest of the guys have been extremely inconsistent. I don't know that they can win without completely out-hustling Chicago. Jimmy Howard has been really average in net, too. Don't mean to sound so pessimistic, but consistency hasn't exactly been a strength on the Wings this season.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2013, 06:19 pm »
Very disappointed that the Leafs didn't make it to the next round. As a south-of-the-border type, I miss Canadian hockey teams being the force they once were, such as in the glory days of the Habs. Com'on man . . . hockey in Arizona, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina? Jeez, do they even have ice there? Of course, I'm tactfully overlooking our area's Sharks (and our son's beloved la Kings).  :)

At least the Jets are back, but I still miss the Nordiques and Whalers, teams from places where the populace has actually heard of snow. Laundrew's and others' points on the money dynamic in the NHL are well taken, and there's nothing like pond hockey. Still, I'm rooting for the Senators.

Game on,

Rich

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2013, 06:46 pm »
For pure love of the sport enjoyment, I find junior hockey much more satisfying to watch.  Those kids are all heart, and striving to make it, and play their hearts out night after night.

I take my daughters to see the Oakville Blades games for cheap family entertainment a couple of times per year.

Corporate tickets get me to see live NHL games, and those are a fun experience too, but not the games I would pick to see (Boston vs Habs, or Calgary vs Edmonton, or Wings vs Hawks etc).

Devil Doc

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2013, 07:33 pm »
Since this thread seems to be turning into an
indictment of professional hockey, let me add another shovelful of dirt on its grave. If you weren't around for the original six, you haven't seen hockey the way it was meant to be played. Personally I can live with what we have, but I do miss the olden days. :wink:

Doc