Turntable bottoming out my speakers

VinylDallas

Turntable bottoming out my speakers
« on: 7 May 2013, 12:16 pm »
Wise and ancient vinyl ones...

I have recently purchased and inexpensive Crosley (As my Technics suffered it's death blow while moving). It is a new Crosley USB/AV 6009A-OR.

I have attached it to my Kenwood KR-7600 and/or Pioneer SX-650 that are using Alesis Monitor One speakers. Radio/Aux sound great but the turntable (pardon the term) overdri

ve the woofers and really bottom them out.

I have attached the GND but the result is the same

Any suggestions besides trashing the turntable.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Turntable bottoming out my speakers
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2013, 11:40 am »
Woofer pumping is caused by feedback.  This can be either acoustic feedback- your table too close to the speakers, or physical isolation problems from an inadequate supporting structure.  Sometimes a subsonic filter will fix it, but it's better to remedy the cause of the problem.
neo

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2013, 11:53 am »
Compliance mis-match between cart and arm can also cause woofer pumping.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2013, 01:42 pm »
That turntable has a built in pre-amp. Is there a way of bypassing it (Crosley's website was not helpful in answering this question)? Are you using the phono input on your receiver?

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2013, 05:26 pm »
That turntable has a built in pre-amp. Is there a way of bypassing it (Crosley's website was not helpful in answering this question)? Are you using the phono input on your receiver?

This is a great point.

If you are using the built in phono preamp, then plugging the TT into the phono input on your receiver, you are getting double the RIAA equalization. So, instead of getting 20db boost at 20hz, you are getting 40db boost. This would definitely cause your woofers to bottom out.

They do list an AXILLARY RCA output, which I believe does bypass the internal preamp. If so, use this to connect to the phono input on your receiver.  I can guarantee that your vintage receiver has a better phono preamp than the Crosley.

VinylDallas

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2013, 07:35 pm »
Thanks, I thought about the pre-amp and tried the aux but it may be time to recap the Kenwood as the volume was super low. I will try it the Pioneer and shelf the Crosley if all else fails.

BB

VinylDallas

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2013, 07:44 pm »
WC and Simoon, the aux out on the Crosley to the Play input (tape) has leveled it out reasonably. Not sure if it bypassed the Crosley Pre amp, but I can keep the records playing til I find a nice vintage turntable.

Thanks for your help.

nickd

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2013, 08:00 pm »
Sounds like you need a "subsonic filter" in the phono preamp. Bypassing the internal pre sounds like a good start and if not an option, an outboard EQ with a subsonic filter is a quick fix.

simoon

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2013, 10:22 pm »
Thanks, I thought about the pre-amp and tried the aux but it may be time to recap the Kenwood as the volume was super low. I will try it the Pioneer and shelf the Crosley if all else fails.

BB

WC and Simoon, the aux out on the Crosley to the Play input (tape) has leveled it out reasonably. Not sure if it bypassed the Crosley Pre amp, but I can keep the records playing til I find a nice vintage turntable.

If I read this right, it sounds as if you may not be running through any phono stage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the aux out on the Crosley bypasses the internal phono preamp (which is my understanding), and then you aren't running it through the phono stage of one of your receivers, you are getting no boost in gain or RIAA eq that phono cartridges require.

There are only 2 ways this can be set up:

1. Crosley phono out to AUX, Tuner or other unused selectable input on your receiver.

2. Crosley aux out to phono input on your receiver, (if the aux out on the Crosley bypasses onboard phono stage).

WC

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2013, 12:44 am »
Based on comments I think the two outputs are labeled phono and AUX. So the AUX out would be using the internal phono preamp on th Crosley. I would think it would sound better phono out of the Crosley to Phono input on the receiver if everything is working as it should.