New TV

mca

New TV
« on: 11 Jul 2004, 10:20 pm »
I am thinking about replacing my old 35" TV in my living room. Looking at all the new TV types, DLP stands out. I can't afford a plasma and don't want to go tube again. Rear projection is out, because there is a lot of light that comes in right where the TV is.
The newest Samsung 46" DLP seems like a great deal and looks very good from what I have seen. Mitsubishi is also slated to come out with a full line of DLP TV's. My only concern is that some people have said that DLP's have a track record of having problems.
Does anyone have any experience with a DLP TV? Does anyone know of a website that will give me the straight facts about DLP vs the other TV's that are out there?
I thought keeping up with audio technology was tough, but I'm really lost about the video side  :o

scottpretti

New TV
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2004, 10:34 pm »
Get the Samsung.   My friend just picked up the 52(?) inch and it is very nice indeed.  Feed it 720p from a samsung hd-841 with the DVI and you won't be sorry!!!  If I had a small room, that was not light controlled, I'd do it.  For now,  I will stick with my 104" screen and 8"CRT front projector. :D

Double Ugly

Re: New TV
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2004, 10:37 pm »
Quote from: mca
Does anyone have any experience with a DLP TV? Does anyone know of a website that will give me the straight facts about DLP vs the other TV's that are out there?
I thought keeping up with audio technology was tough, but I'm really lost about the video side   :o

I know what you mean about being lost.  I was the same way about 8 months ago, and read everything I could find on AVS and other sites, trying to determine the best course of action.

I recommend you take a look at AVS for addition info re: what's available, reliability issues and what new and interesting models may be forthcoming.  After it was all said and done, I purchased a 56" Sammy DLP, which I've been more than pleased with.  No problems or issues of any kind so far, and the PQ is wonderful, even with SDTV.

DU

spectralman

New TV
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2004, 11:49 pm »
Well mca, you're light years ahead of me in the video world.  What the heck is DLP?  I will also be in the TV market in the next 6-12 months.  TIA.

Bill

vpolineni

New TV
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2004, 11:59 pm »
keeping up with video stuff is very time-consuming.  The new JVC tv's using a 3-chip lcos design looks very promising.  The dlp's use 1-chip and you may be prone to seeing "rainbows" on them.  here's a link to the jvc tv's:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350817

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New TV
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2004, 12:00 am »
AVSForum.com is the best place to go for info.

As for Samsung DLP (or any of the DLP tv's)...it is a rear projector.  If it isn't a tube, plasma/lcd or front pj, it is rear projection.

That being said...if you have a lot of light coming in, ANY rear projection tv might not be a good idea.  

What kind of price range are you looking in?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New TV
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2004, 12:02 am »
BTW, plsama prices have really come down:

http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_TH42PWD6UY

George

mca

New TV
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2004, 02:16 am »
I'm shooting to spend about 3k tops and online the 46" Samsung can be had for about that price. The JVC looks interesting, but to spendy for me. My main TV is a 65" Mits Diamond in my theater room. I watch all my movies out there. The new TV will be used for Satellite and OTA high definition broadcasts only.
I was also told the Samsung has a much brigher picture and would be a good choice for places where you can't control the light as well.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
New TV
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2004, 02:55 am »
That Samsung DLP RPTV is a badass set, IMO.  But I like DLP and don't have any rainbow problems.  I use an FPTV, but if I ever had to go back to RPTV, I'd get the Samsung.  Plasma has a bit better blacks, but some problems with fast motion.  Plus it's not really safe to play P2 & Xbox on a plasma.