« on: 5 May 2013, 04:15 am »
Just published my review of the Cronus tube amplifier... You can check out here

http://newrecordday.com/rogue-audio-cronus-magnum/
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2014, 04:41 pm by Vedder323 »

neekomax

Re: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum Review
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2013, 07:16 am »
Hey dude, thanks for posting that, seems like a cool amp!  :D

I hope you don't get too put off by this, but I took the time to watch the whole thing, and I have some (hopefully) constructive feedback on your video review.

You did a nice job showing and explaining different aspects of the amp. The part where you show exactly how the biasing works was great. Very helpful.

However, I would think about who exactly your audience is, and what they might be most interested in hearing about. If it's people like your typical ACer, they're going to know, for example, that a line level input marked 'CD' is not necessarily for a CD player, and what the difference between fixed and variable lines out is.

(Now, you may have intended this video for an audience that doesn't know anything at all about amps, and if so, please ignore the former, and accept my apologies for misjudging your intentions.)

What I would be most interested in hearing about, as someone who familiar with the basic functions of an amp, is more about, say, what the different tubes do with the signal, what are the sonic qualities of a KT-whatever tube versus an EL-whatsit tube (I've never owned a hifi tube amp, so I don't know all the names), basically stuff that assumes a basic understanding of the common features of amplifiers, and instead focuses on the particularities and qualities of the Rogue, from an 'audiophile' perspective. Instead of these very long intros and sort of CNET-esque explanations, I would rather hear you chat about your listening impressions, what you like and don't like about owning the amp, what kind of value you feel it represents, and comparisons with other amps you're heard. You know, audiophile stuff.

In any event, the other issue I would raise is the overall length of the review. It's just way too long. You spend a fair amount of time with introductions, sort of telling us what you're going to be doing (showing us the amp, etc.)... this is, IMO, just not necessary, and by cutting that stuff short, you could get to the interesting bits way quicker, and do a service to your viewer.

But the biggest issue is that the video cuts off before you give any listening notes at all! I still have no idea how this thing sounds to you. Arrrgggh. Kinda frustrating after 30 minutes.  :?

So that's my review of your review.  :wink:

I hope I don't come off as overly critical, as I really do appreciate the effort you've made to do this review, and the Cronus Magnum is indeed a product that interests me in general. With a little editing, and more focus on what your likely audience knows, and probably wants to know, this could be a great format!

Oh, and maybe some music here and there would be cool, like little scenes of your system playing back records... I think it would make the montage much more dynamic overall.

K, I'll shut up now.

All the best,

Neeko

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2013, 02:02 pm »
Hey dude, thanks for posting that, seems like a cool amp!  :D

I hope you don't get too put off by this, but I took the time to watch the whole thing, and I have some (hopefully) constructive feedback on your video review.

You did a nice job showing and explaining different aspects of the amp. The part where you show exactly how the biasing works was great. Very helpful.

However, I would think about who exactly your audience is, and what they might be most interested in hearing about. If it's people like your typical ACer, they're going to know, for example, that a line level input marked 'CD' is not necessarily for a CD player, and what the difference between fixed and variable lines out is.

(Now, you may have intended this video for an audience that doesn't know anything at all about amps, and if so, please ignore the former, and accept my apologies for misjudging your intentions.)

What I would be most interested in hearing about, as someone who familiar with the basic functions of an amp, is more about, say, what the different tubes do with the signal, what are the sonic qualities of a KT-whatever tube versus an EL-whatsit tube (I've never owned a hifi tube amp, so I don't know all the names), basically stuff that assumes a basic understanding of the common features of amplifiers, and instead focuses on the particularities and qualities of the Rogue, from an 'audiophile' perspective. Instead of these very long intros and sort of CNET-esque explanations, I would rather hear you chat about your listening impressions, what you like and don't like about owning the amp, what kind of value you feel it represents, and comparisons with other amps you're heard. You know, audiophile stuff.

In any event, the other issue I would raise is the overall length of the review. It's just way too long. You spend a fair amount of time with introductions, sort of telling us what you're going to be doing (showing us the amp, etc.)... this is, IMO, just not necessary, and by cutting that stuff short, you could get to the interesting bits way quicker, and do a service to your viewer.

But the biggest issue is that the video cuts off before you give any listening notes at all! I still have no idea how this thing sounds to you. Arrrgggh. Kinda frustrating after 30 minutes.  :?

So that's my review of your review.  :wink:

I hope I don't come off as overly critical, as I really do appreciate the effort you've made to do this review, and the Cronus Magnum is indeed a product that interests me in general. With a little editing, and more focus on what your likely audience knows, and probably wants to know, this could be a great format!

Oh, and maybe some music here and there would be cool, like little scenes of your system playing back records... I think it would make the montage much more dynamic overall.

K, I'll shut up now.

All the best,

Neeko

Neeko,

First, thanks so much for taking the time to respond and sharing your thoughts about the review, it really is appreciated. This is the first time I have done a video review and proved to be far more challenging than I thought. With that being said, I want to take as much criticism as possible and make things better if I continue doing reviews like this.

Couple questions,

1. Did you only watch the video or did you also read the review?

2. When you say that you watched the whole video and still have a hard time in knowing how the amp sounds and my impressions, did you think the conclusion of the video was just too vague? Not enough detailed information? (around 28 minutes into the video)

3. In your opinion, what would be a good target length for a video review? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? Less? I want to be thorough but at the same time, I agree this video was just too much "blah blah blah who cares"

4. Would it be cool/neat idea if I posted a long version of the amp for beginners/people who know nothing about tube amps at all as well as an shorter one where I go straight into my impressions?

5. While the video was long, did you still find it interesting to watch or was it just boring?

Again, I take zero offense by your comments and was hoping to hear this kind of response. I really don't know who my audience is as I am not getting much traffic to my site other than family and friends so far but as it expands, I might try to cater more towards guys like you and I that wanna get to the meat of the subject.

Thanks pal,

Ron Brenay

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2013, 02:09 pm »
A great post to be sure. I had a similar search for a powerful integrated tube amp. I spent a few hours listening to the Rogue Cronus Magnum and it was a tremendous amp. Unfortunately, the dealer was not very helpful and I left the store and kept searching. I ended up with the Line Magnetic 216IA and have been very happy. I do not think my speakers are as hard to drive as your Gallos, so I could get away with a bit less power.

Anyway, really, a very informative video review. Good comments on bass performance with a SS amp...

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2013, 02:13 pm »
A great post to be sure. I had a similar search for a powerful integrated tube amp. I spent a few hours listening to the Rogue Cronus Magnum and it was a tremendous amp. Unfortunately, the dealer was not very helpful and I left the store and kept searching. I ended up with the Line Magnetic 216IA and have been very happy. I do not think my speakers are as hard to drive as your Gallos, so I could get away with a bit less power.

Anyway, really, a very informative video review. Good comments on bass performance with a SS amp...

Thanks Geo! Glad you enjoyed it!

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2013, 03:14 pm »
Neeko,

First, thanks so much for taking the time to respond and sharing your thoughts about the review, it really is appreciated. This is the first time I have done a video review and proved to be far more challenging than I thought. With that being said, I want to take as much criticism as possible and make things better if I continue doing reviews like this.

Couple questions,

1. Did you only watch the video or did you also read the review?

2. When you say that you watched the whole video and still have a hard time in knowing how the amp sounds and my impressions, did you think the conclusion of the video was just too vague? Not enough detailed information? (around 28 minutes into the video)

3. In your opinion, what would be a good target length for a video review? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? Less? I want to be thorough but at the same time, I agree this video was just too much "blah blah blah who cares"

4. Would it be cool/neat idea if I posted a long version of the amp for beginners/people who know nothing about tube amps at all as well as an shorter one where I go straight into my impressions?

5. While the video was long, did you still find it interesting to watch or was it just boring?

Again, I take zero offense by your comments and was hoping to hear this kind of response. I really don't know who my audience is as I am not getting much traffic to my site other than family and friends so far but as it expands, I might try to cater more towards guys like you and I that wanna get to the meat of the subject.

Thanks pal,

Ron Brenay

Great, Ron, that's an awesome attitude you have about it.

1. I only watched the review. I do a TON of reading about audio, so I was excited by the prospect of an actual video. As a matter of fact, I started a decently successful system demo video thread here on AC, just search 'let's post videos'. So I think there should be more of vid in our hobby.

2. On my phone in an airport right now, so I haven't re-checked, but I'm pretty sure the video cuts off abruptly at about 30 minutes for some reason. I don't recall hearing any listening impressions at all, besides the stuff at the beginning about bass control.

3. I think 10 minutes, well thought out and filled with interesting stuff, would be plenty. You should, if anything, leave your viewer wishing there was more. They'll come back to your site for it :).

4. If it were me, I'd do an 'Introduction to Amps' video for beginners, where you cover all the stuff that I was objecting to- stuff that's common knowledge to audiophiles. These reviews should get to the nuances quickly; honestly anyone considering a $2,500 (?) tube amp is going to want details and impressions, not a primer.

5. I honestly found most of the video a bit boring, save the biasing stuff and some of your amp comparisons at the beginning, although that took way too long as well.

-Neeko

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2013, 11:05 pm »
Hey MJan
Likedthe reviews, read and watched both of them.

Regarding the video ,  I'd agree with  Nekko, while showing the different connections on the rear  was  a good idea,  Ii think  you  could have skipped   the explanation of  what  they are for.  A seperate video  for "amp gasics"  would be a  great idea  as stated above
Condesnsing it  a bit would  also be  good, maybe a  bit less background  regarding why you were changeing  and  more emphasis on what  the  amp is cabable of.
Also thought it was good to include the biassing  section .  Good to show folks  that it isn't a big deal  and that  they should not be intimidated by  it.
I'd have  liked to  have seen  abit more detail inthe  written  review..  Some   more detaill abouit sound stage, dynamics,  and imaging would have been nice  ( I did catch  this in the video after  reading the  write up)
To get  the mosts  ouit of it,  you  almost  needed to  both read the write up  and watch the video which  I'm  not sure if   everyone will do. 

Maybe a bit too much  info ine video,  not quite enough in  the written.  Just need to combine the best of each !
All in all,  I liked it  well done :)

-jay

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2013, 12:30 am »
I'd mentioned this in the SH thread on your review but wanted to run it by the ACers here:

My thought was to break up the video into parts.

1) Background/system and its evolution
2) Amp Features
3) Amp Set-up
4) Amp Sound

These are then more manageable chunks and make it easier to skip to what is most interesting. A lot of folks searching for reviews on these amps will already know its features, so likely would like to skip that part of the vid. If you are just discovering the amp for the first time, on the other hand.

Great work. Gimme the amp a bit of time to break in and I'll have y'all a Stereo 90 Super Magnum review (compared to ncores, OzarkTom's TBI, a Class D Audio kit, and maybe even a Dynaco Stereo 70 for kicks) .

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2013, 12:31 am »
p.s. I was really  glad to see it compared to the Peachtree unit. Both are very strong contenders and very well thought of pieces of gear.

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2013, 12:44 am »
Ron, just went back and read the written review. Very good, full of the stuff that I felt was missing from the video, and gave me a good sense of the amp. Nice work, you're a good writer.

Curious, which did you do first, the written or the video?

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2013, 02:31 pm »
Ron, just went back and read the written review. Very good, full of the stuff that I felt was missing from the video, and gave me a good sense of the amp. Nice work, you're a good writer.

Curious, which did you do first, the written or the video?

Thanks man! The written review was first and I cant take all the credit for the writing, my wife is a great editor :)

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2013, 02:38 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the input. I care enough about the comments that I might actually go back and do a new review and break up the videos. I like the idea of a having a background video (what made me decide to make the switch), a hardware review (the connections on the amp) and a sound review (just talking about my observations on the sound of the amp.)

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2013, 03:17 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the input. I care enough about the comments that I might actually go back and do a new review and break up the videos. I like the idea of a having a background video (what made me decide to make the switch), a hardware review (the connections on the amp) and a sound review (just talking about my observations on the sound of the amp.)

Sounds good. You might also want to break up hardware features and set-up. If you are just shopping for an amp, it is the features that will interest you. If you own the amp, then it'll be great to go straight to a video on set-up and biasing the amp.

Still Great Stuff. Many thanks.

neekomax

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2013, 03:22 pm »

If you do decide to re-do it, I would vote for some background on the design- why this circuit, this tube array, etc. Seems like that's main thing that you gotta know in order to evaluate innovations.

Also, a performance note: You need a higher energy delivery, if at all possible.

I was a professional singer for 10 years (as in, paid my bills with gig money). I learned early that I have to be having MORE fun than I want my audience to be having -as in, just as much fun, and then a little extra. Video and stagecraft are obviously different, but I think a similar principle applies. You have to really try bring your own focus and intensity to the subject, which should be easy, as you're already super engaged with it as a hobbyist. What, for you, might be a low key, friendly delivery, reads as low energy and 'draggy' (showbiz term when people don't want to say 'boring')  :D. So it might feel a little weird at first, but pretend that you've zooted a line of sump'm, and attack the review in a smaller chunks to allow you to keep a certain intensity. You don't have to be Billy Mays (although that WOULD be kinda awesome :lol:), but you should feel a bit like you must be overdoing it, and THAT will be closer to reading as moderate energy to the viewer.

neekomax

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2013, 03:24 pm »
Oh, one more thing... make note cards with the points you want to cover from your written review, and have them on hand when you shoot. Keeps you focused.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2013, 03:25 pm »
If you do decide to re-do it, I would vote for some background on the design- why this circuit, this tube array, etc. Seems like that's main thing that you gotta know in order to evaluate innovations.

Also, a performance note: You need a higher energy delivery, if at all possible.

I was a professional singer for 10 years (as in, paid my bills with gig money). I learned early that I have to be having MORE fun than I want my audience to be having -as in, just as much fun, and then a little extra. Video and stagecraft are obviously different, but I think a similar principle applies. You have to really try bring your own focus and intensity to the subject, which should be easy, as you're already super engaged with it as a hobbyist. What, for you, might be a low key, friendly delivery, reads as low energy and 'draggy' (showbiz term when people don't want to say 'boring')  :D. So it might feel a little weird at first, but pretend that you've zooted a line of sump'm, and attack the review in a smaller chunks to allow you to keep a certain intensity. You don't have to be Billy Mays (although that WOULD be kinda awesome :lol:), but you should feel a bit like you must be overdoing it, and THAT will be closer to reading as moderate energy to the viewer.

lol Neeko, ill dye the beard and rock out Billy Mays style.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2013, 03:37 pm »
lol Neeko, ill dye the beard and rock out Billy Mays style.

Dye the beard! Dye the beard! Dye the beard!

neekomax

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2013, 03:49 pm »
Dye the beard! Dye the beard! Dye the beard!

Ha!  :lol:

fsimms

« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2013, 02:48 pm »
I enjoyed your review.   :thumb:

I did find it a bit long.  I especially enjoyed the bias section.  I was curious about what was involved.  Since the video has audio, I would have liked a minute of audio at the end where you played a record so we could hear what you were talking about.

Bob

mswobo

• always after better sound need a money tree
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2013, 02:38 am »
Great effort ...thanks for taking the time, which I'm sure was a lot, to share your thoughts.

Bravo

P.S. I love my Rogue preamp.