Anyone (in Europe maybe) know about these?

John Casler

Anyone (in Europe maybe) know about these?
« on: 4 May 2013, 09:06 pm »
My buddy Dick Olsher seems to like these, and I am considering the line, but haven't heard them myself.

Anyone get ears on these?

ESSENCE ELECTROSTATS

medium jim

Re: Anyone (in Europe maybe) know about these?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2013, 09:16 pm »
I'm curious as to why no spec's on their frequency response?  They're mid sized, so it would be something if they were formidable in the low bass region.

Jim

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2013, 09:19 pm »
I'm curious as to why no spec's on their frequency response?  They're mid sized, so it would be something if they were formidable in the low bass region.

Jim

Did you see THIS PAGE?

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2013, 09:40 pm »
John:

I didn't, 48hz is respectable, but would need subwoofer augmentation.  I like the technology and hopefully it sparks competition.

Jim

josh358

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2013, 10:23 pm »
"Our unique plexiglassAcrylic stator assembly allows the ultra low mass mylar film diaphragm to move twice as much air as previous designs on the market." Curious claim. Why? Reduced charge migration = higher voltage before arcing? Just speculating, off the top of my head I can't think of anything else.

satie

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2013, 11:27 pm »
http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Final-1000i-review.pdf

Seems that the one to look at is the bigger model - 1900, may actually work for real bass and at a freq you can actually XO to a sub without significant integration issues.

Olsher obviously likes this alot.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2013, 11:29 pm »
http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Final-1000i-review.pdf

Seems that the one to look at is the bigger model - 1900, may actually work for real bass and at a freq you can actually XO to a sub without significant integration issues.

Olsher obviously likes this alot.

Still only down to 38hz...my 2.5's are rated down to 37....

Jim

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2013, 03:02 am »
And of course that makes all the difference.   :wink:

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2013, 03:17 am »
And of course that makes all the difference.   :wink:

It does to me as you would still need to augment the bottom octave with a sub and was noting it as a comparison.  The 20.7's go down to 25hz and don't need subs.

Jim

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2013, 11:45 am »
It is not just a matter of extension but also a matter of SPL. ESL use to overload rather abruptly compared to some other planar speakers. Magnepan compress the bass rather early, distorsion increase rapidly with level. I guess the MG 2.5 has a limit at about 95 dB, above that compression sets in at lower frequencies. Sure, some kind of music needs more SPL and some needs more extension, some needs both. I believe with an extension to 30 Hz and a SPL of 100-105 dB, most types of acoustic music come over quite well. Sure, a large church organ and electronicly generated music can do even more...

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2013, 01:03 pm »
It is not just a matter of extension but also a matter of SPL. ESL use to overload rather abruptly compared to some other planar speakers. Magnepan compress the bass rather early, distorsion increase rapidly with level. I guess the MG 2.5 has a limit at about 95 dB, above that compression sets in at lower frequencies. Sure, some kind of music needs more SPL and some needs more extension, some needs both. I believe with an extension to 30 Hz and a SPL of 100-105 dB, most types of acoustic music come over quite well. Sure, a large church organ and electronicly generated music can do even more...
I'd say that fits with my own experience, e.g., the 1-D's apparently compress at 106 dB or so and the only recording I remember them having trouble with was the Telarc 1812. At the opposite extreme, my MMG's started to sound uncomfortable when I pushed them above the mid nineties. The bass would intermodulate the treble, owing, I assume, to Doppler distortion because of the shared diaphragm. Because they started to sound distorted I never had the inclination to push them to their limit. In practice, though, from what I've seen of SPL measurements, most of us don't listen at natural levels so wouldn't run into these limitations.

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2013, 03:26 pm »

I'm using a pair of subs, so I'm not sure where the limit is for deep bass is.   I will tell you that I am an old head banger at times and when the music calls for it, I crank them into the low 100's (peaks obviously higher) with no tell tale compression in the mids or highs and no dreaded sibilance in the vocals.  When I have had them on SS power I have even gone louder and again without any tell tale signs. 

I can only speaker for 1.6's and 2,5's as they are what I have first hand experience with.   I will say that my 1.6's did flap in the bass region only because the amp I had on them ran out of steam. 

Jim