Brad Mehldau: Can someone please explain?

watercourse

Brad Mehldau: Can someone please explain?
« on: 3 May 2013, 05:31 pm »
Hi all,

I just wrapped up a series of jazz shows at the brand spankin' new San Francisco Jazz Center this past Sunday with the Brad Mehldau Trio. BTW, there were some sound issues with my first Dave Holland shows, but they seem to have addressed them in the last 2 shows I saw  :thumb: :thumb:

So, Brad Mehldau. I can see he has nice technique and a unique touch. Can someone please explain what, beyond technique and uniqueness, they find compelling about his music? He seemed noncommittal all night, hesitant and timid, and as my wife describes "antiseptic". The drummer has a flat drum sound, and unlike most drummers, was not stoking much fire from his compatriots. The bassist had some belly fire now and again, but most of the energy that night I feel was provided by me wanting to enjoy the show.

We left early, unheard of for my wife and I, who love jazz. Thoughts?

neekomax

Re: Brad Mehldau: Can someone please explain?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2013, 06:21 pm »
Agreed, not really that into it. I listen to the live trio album occasionally, just usually end up a bit bored and uninvolved. Much prefer EST or Bob James Trio.

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2013, 08:16 pm »
It's a matter of taste I guess. I've seen his trio several times, saw him with his trio and Pat Metheny where they burned the place down. Crowd did not want to go home. Saw him last year with Joshua Redman and it was sheer poetry. He is more on the contemplative, intellectual side of jazz. I like that he covers all the standards as well as modern writers: Beatles, Radiohead, Nick Drake. He can play with fire but generally is a quieter player.
steve

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2013, 10:07 pm »
Yes, you're probably right. I do like intellectual players, but his off-on playing did not connect with me, it was hard to tell even what he was trying to say when he did play. He seemed to do more listening than collaborating with the trio, only playing the head together, individual solos, and rarely did any comping to speak of. Even during typically exciting devices like trading eights, fours, and twos, he did not seem very connected with the space, the piano, his band members, or the audience. At times, he would rotate on the bench, sitting almost side-saddle, cocking his head from side to side as he was listening, but did not actually play much. The entire show seemed deadened, typified by the half-speed rendition of a bop tune ("Repetition"?), also sounding half-hearted.

It was difficult for me to understand how people speak of Mehldau's and Evans's trios in the same sentence, as they are worlds apart. By the same token, Mehldau's own suggestion that he is more along the Monk lineage is also not clear to me, as Monk's decisive, rhythmic sense is on equal footing with his playfully deconstructive approach. Mehldau's style came off as serious, intellectual, and a bit pretentious, but lacking swing.

Would fans say that Mehldau's approach is deconstructive and spare?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2013, 11:42 pm »
I like him when he is under the direction of a strong leader or a more focused band. Not so much as a band leader or solo player. I think this is normal for a lot of good musicians. Even great ones. They add that special magic to a greater whole, but lose you as a solo artist.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2013, 12:26 am »
They are cerebral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaqAwm-vWiI
Great performance from a brazilian song.

I thanks this band for not being one more pop 40 or trash artist to profane the music or humming like Jarret.

watercourse

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2013, 12:42 am »
True, cerebral is better than a male Diana Krall, but is that what we are reduced to?

How about some soul, a pair of stones, and swing?

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2013, 01:09 am »
There are times when I like soul and swing. There are times times when I am very cerebral. This is why the Jazz art form is so nice. There is something for every mood, and everyone. I by the way really like Mr. Mehldau.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2013, 01:15 am »
It certainly doesn't have the soul, creativity, chops or intensity of Bill Evans or Thelonious Monk and others of that level.  I've heard an assortment of tunes and it is what it is - "soft jazz".  I haven't heard anything yet that would prompt me to buy an album, but if I walked into a club and the trio was playing, I probably wouldn't leave (at least if I had food and beverage service!).

Another thought I've had about various jazz musicians ala original compositions is that just because you can play doesn't necessarily mean you can compose.  Reminds me of a local jazz saxophonist that I used to watch since he was in his teens.  Like a young Sonny Rollins, full of fire and creative improvisation, he was stellar on jazz standards.  Then I acquired a CD of all original compositions that was a collection of the most awful harmonic changes and melody lines you could imagine.  I would attempt to listen to it now and then to see if it was just me and always came to the same conclusion - nope, not me, and I would leave with my head shaking.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2013, 01:19 am »
I already see pianists more colder than Mehldau as Hiromi.
But I like both, they play clean, straight, powerful.

On otherside Muddy Waters played dirty.

watercourse

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2013, 01:51 am »
Yes, it is all a matter of taste. Based on the responses so far, I gather that I am hearing right, and that what I heard is a representative sample.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but Mehldau clearly is not my bag.