WTL DPS

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
WTL DPS
« on: 3 May 2013, 12:18 pm »
Hi fellas.

To those of you who have had experience with the DPS power supply do you think it would provide a worthwhile improvement to my Versalex. My dealer when asked simply told me not to bother with it.

P.S I have published a short video on you tube of my hi-fi (not sure how to insert a link on here but typing Well Tempered Versalex will bring it up) Note the black edge to the Versalex which I think is an improvement over the ill conceived IMO plywood edging that on my sample wasn't even stained to a good standard.

threadkiller

Re: WTL DPS
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2013, 01:59 pm »
Your dealer is unfortunately a bit deaf, or maybe just a curmudgeon.
It is most effective. Any new WTL I've heard it with improved.  A quick demo of your own and you'd set that dealer straight.  Or maybe it's just a British thing... who knows.
At my house, and my dealer's, you can clearly hear the improvements..

rob400

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2013, 02:15 pm »
Your dealer is unfortunately a bit deaf, or maybe just a curmudgeon.
It is most effective. Any new WTL I've heard it with improved.  A quick demo of your own and you'd set that dealer straight.  Or maybe it's just a British thing... who knows.
At my house, and my dealer's, you can clearly hear the improvements..

Thanks Charlie

DavidS

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2013, 02:55 pm »
the DPS was a significant improvement for my amadeus - highly recommended for both dynamics/prat and reducing hum in my system.

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2013, 03:40 pm »
I wouldn't say it was a significant improvement for me, but I could hear a small improvement.

SteevA

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2013, 04:33 pm »
Made a smallish difference but it was immediatly apparent. I suspect at least part of it was achieved by removing two switch mode power supplies, for versalex and p75, form the scene. I deduce this because CD seemed to improve as well.

Steve

rob400

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2013, 07:40 pm »
Thanks Steve, Dave and Vortrex.

jsawyer09

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2013, 08:00 pm »
Made a smallish difference but it was immediatly apparent. I suspect at least part of it was achieved by removing two switch mode power supplies, for versalex and p75, form the scene. I deduce this because CD seemed to improve as well.

Steve

I personally think Steve's onto something with this. All I did was add a regulated Radio Shack Enercell 12VDC or Stancor Wall-wart. I actually compared the cheapo $20 RS PSU versus the DPS, and I'll be damned if I couldn't discern much of a difference; and on top of it, it also killed an ever-so-slight hum...I mean completely. So for me at least, this was about as no-brainer as it gets — $20 versus $400.   

rob400

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2013, 08:43 pm »
I personally think Steve's onto something with this. All I did was add a regulated Radio Shack Enercell 12VDC or Stancor Wall-wart. I actually compared the cheapo $20 RS PSU versus the DPS, and I'll be damned if I couldn't discern much of a difference; and on top of it, it also killed an ever-so-slight hum...I mean completely. So for me at least, this was about as no-brainer as it gets — $20 versus $400.

Looks like I need to check out an equivalent sold in the UK

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2013, 09:32 pm »
Now hold up a sec...
First off, some of you are writing in from places where your "mains" are noisy and you're having problems in general. A cheap wall wart will amplify that to be sure. And some with gear such as Naim need to use the better quality wart now being supplied in the States and I believe England by WTL. 
I nor any table compadres have ever had hum issues.
Now, the DPS adds a degree of improvement in clarity and bass, in a good system. It's not night and day, yet it's significant enough for the price. Just like switching to either Auditorium mat.

Changing to a cheap wart may remove the hum some of you have, yet I havent heard any give any other improvement. 

williamsims

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:38 am »
What about using one with a WTTSuper?

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:56 am »
No, one can't.  Different motor/electrical system altogether... No upgrades for you.

williamsims

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2013, 01:19 am »
Thanks for letting me know.  Good  listening --

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2013, 01:31 am »
You are most welcome.
One upgrade you could do is a dedicated line from your circuit box. Always worthwhile.

Plink

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2013, 02:54 am »
You are most welcome.
One upgrade you could do is a dedicated line from your circuit box. Always worthwhile.

Agreed!  Probably the first thing that should and can easily be done for any audiophile...one or more dedicated circuits.

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:07 pm »

The originally supplied WTA wall-wort hummed no matter what I did. Jsawyer offered to let me try a Radio Shack Enercell 12VDC  he had as a back up. I wasn't terribly optimistic as hum problems never seem to have a simple cure. Well much to my surprise, the RS unit eliminated the hum and lowered the noise floor substantially. I'm not saying the DPS wouldn't improve things further, but I enjoy what I'm hearing and I'll  put that  + or -$400 towards more vinyl.

doak

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2013, 11:29 pm »
Have been using this on my WTA for about 2 yrs --- works fine.  Got 2 different wall warts with the table and both hummed to some degree.  The MW PS and the table are completely silent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MW-HD-VARIABLE-LINEAR-DC-Multi-Voltage-Regulated-POWER-SUPPLY-3-12V-2-Amp-/111073855945

Doak

mannikman

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2014, 08:43 pm »
Anyone have any experience with the teddy reg PSU's. I know that his DIY designs have attracted a lot of interest on various forums. prices for a PSU look reasonable as well.

http://www.teddypardo.com