Stupid me ! Careless me !

Guy 13

Stupid me ! Careless me !
« on: 3 May 2013, 10:10 am »

Stupid me. Careless me.

Hi all Audio Circle members.
I am slowly packing my stuff for my return (Next year) to my home country Canada.
The stuff I don’t use or the stuff I can afford not using until I leave forever planet Vietnam.
I try to be careful packing in its original box, without the original packing my Rega P3 with its Exact MM cartridge (595 USD) and guess what?
Me the stupid or if you prefer: Me the careless guy, I pull off the needle of the cartridge while pushing-in the Styrofoam packing.
There goes 495 USD, because to re-tip a Rega (Exact) cartridge the give you 100 USD credit toward the purchase of a new cartridge.
I know that even if I find the needle in my carpet, it won’t be of much use, because… Well, like I said: Stupid me.
I did the packing like I was a rich man that could throw thru the window several hundreds of dollars.
I have a brand new (Never used) Benz Micro Gold MC cartridge, but to work properly, I would have to buy a step-up transformer at 500 USD, and that’s out of the question.
I prefer to buy a new cartridge, a less expensive one, because I know as a fact that my ears can’t tell the difference between a 500 USD cartridge and a 100 USD cartridge.
Therefore, I will buy a less expensive MM cartridge.
Now, can someone help me in choose between the following MM cartridges?
Audio Technica Model AT100E Price: 109 USD
Replacement needle: 49 USD
Goldring Model G2100 Price: 200 USD
Replacement needle: 125 USD
Ortophon Model 2M Red Price: 99 USD
Replacement needle: 83 USD
Shure Model M97XE Price: 90 USD
Replacement needle: 75 USD
Shure Model M44G Price: 105 USD
Replacement needle: 47 USD
All above prices from Needle Doctor, USA.
Needle Doctor is not the least expensive, I know.

Waiting for your comments.
Please don’t rub it in, by mentioning that I am careless, I know that already.

Guy 13

topround

Re: Stupid me ! Careless me !
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2013, 10:26 am »
I had a similiar experience with a cartridge, but it involved a cat!
I feel your pain.

Personally I would mount the MC and buy a cheaper stepup device, try the Hagerman Piccolo, I think you will be very happy.
Otherwise I have had the Shure 97 and liked it alot, very good tone and texture, not the end all of detail, but very musical, has a little brush on the front to help clean the grooves and sort of acts like a shock absorber. I felt very confident throwing the shure around while with my Lyra I feel scared at times with that very expensive cantilever just sticking its nose out, thumbing the world, daring you to break it!! But it does sing.

Regarding your trauma,....you will get over it...and have now joined the ranks of countless audiophiles with similar experiences., welcome to the club! :duh:

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2013, 10:36 am »
Ah, monsieur! C'est dommage!! Tu as du pain sur la planche. Bonne chance...

Paul

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2013, 10:42 am »
Ah, monsieur! C'est dommage!! Tu as du pain sur la planche. Bonne chance...

Paul
Bonjour Monsieur Paul et a tous les membres d'Audio Circle.
Hi Paul and all Audio Circle members.
Merci pour votre encouragement.
Thanks you for your encouragement.

Guy 13

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2013, 11:54 am »
If you really love its sound you could have the cartridge repaired at Soundsmith.  Their lowest priced option is $150.

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2013, 11:56 am »
Hi Guy13,
"I am slowly packing my stuff for my return (Next year) to my home country Canada."

You're packing now for a move next year?  You must be anxious to get back.

It could be worse, and I suspect it's probably not as bad as you think, although I suggest you deal with it after your return.  Assuming your table makes it back unscathed after travelling 1/2 way around the world, you have more (better?) options than what you wrote.  If you like the Rega cart you could have it re tipped, rebuilt and upgraded for half the price of a new one.  From what I've read about Rega carts this could be an opportunity to get something nicer w/o spending $500.  I don't know what kind of preamp you have, but there are a number of inexpensive phono stages that will do a nice job of amplifying your Benz or another LOMC.  People rave about the little Vista - $300 (bargain introductory price).

The Exact has a very high output, > 7mV.  Do you need this kind of output to get adequate gain?  If your replacing the Exact do you know what kind of sound you prefer?  It's those kinds of questions that might give us a clue for suggestions.  Unless you're going to unpack the table and listen to it in the next 6 months or so, you might want to hold off for now.
neo   

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2013, 12:10 pm »
If you really love its sound you could have the cartridge repaired at Soundsmith.  Their lowest priced option is $150.

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/
Hi Ericus Rex and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for sharing with me the name of Soundsmith.
I wrote it down in my Audio reference book.
Thanks again. :thumb:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2013, 01:34 pm »
Hi Guy13,
"I am slowly packing my stuff for my return (Next year) to my home country Canada."

You're packing now for a move next year?  You must be anxious to get back.

It could be worse, and I suspect it's probably not as bad as you think, although I suggest you deal with it after your return.  Assuming your table makes it back unscathed after travelling 1/2 way around the world, you have more (better?) options than what you wrote.  If you like the Rega cart you could have it re tipped, rebuilt and upgraded for half the price of a new one.  From what I've read about Rega carts this could be an opportunity to get something nicer w/o spending $500.  I don't know what kind of preamp you have, but there are a number of inexpensive phono stages that will do a nice job of amplifying your Benz or another LOMC.  People rave about the little Vista - $300 (bargain introductory price).

The Exact has a very high output, > 7mV.  Do you need this kind of output to get adequate gain?  If your replacing the Exact do you know what kind of sound you prefer?  It's those kinds of questions that might give us a clue for suggestions.  Unless you're going to unpack the table and listen to it in the next 6 months or so, you might want to hold off for now.
neo   

Hi Neo

Anxious you wrote.
The word is not strong enough to describe my anxiousness to get back to Canada.
If I add the money,
tomorrow I would be flying over 35,000 feet over the Pacific Ocean.

The cartridge problem cannot be solved from Vietnam, that’s for sure.
The table and the arm are no problem, I can pack them so well that they could be safely ship to planet Mars.

If the cartridge was damaged it’s because I was too lazy to look for the little plastic part to goes over the cartridge needle.
That’s why it was tear off.
My mistake, my stupidity, my laziness.
How’s that for honesty.

Do I like the cartridge you asked?
Well, it’s O.K.
I am not in love with it, but it does the job.

“ “ If you like the Rega cart you could have it re tipped, rebuilt and upgraded for half the price of a new one.  From what I've read about Rega carts this could be an opportunity to get something nicer w/o spending $500. “ “
Where can inquire to get what you are talking about ?
I have a Bellari VP-129 tube phono.
Again, I must say it does the job.
Do you have any make and models that could be a perfect match for my Benz Micro Gold ?
I am a tube guy; therefore the Vista is not for me,
but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

I think that the 5-7mv output of the Rega Exact mm cartridge is a plus or a good match for my system.
The Bellari VP-129 as some gain, (The volume control is set at 2 O’clock) but my Niteshade Audio SE Pentode (Model NS-10) needs 2 volts at its input to get the full 10 wpc.

The sound I prefer is good bass (Even a little exaggerated), neutral relaxing mids and some kind of roll off of the highs.
I hate shoutty audio device.

I am replacing the motor and PCB of the table with a 120V/60hz kit that the (Former) Rega distributor from Hong Kong sold me.
After that, I will carefully re-pack the table and arm and put them in refrigerator size shipping box with the Bellari VP-129 phono stage pre-amplifier and a zillion of other stuff.
After 18 years in Vietnam, I have accumulated lots of stuff.

By the way, my Bellari needs a wall adapter to replace the 220V one that I am using now.
This is strange, but the reality, the adapter is a 12VAC output, not the usual 12VDC.
That kind of adapter I can easily get in Canada for 25 Cnd $.

Thanks again for all your advises and be certain that they will be all consider when I am back in my civilized country, that’s Canada, not Vietnam.

Guy 13

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2013, 03:21 pm »
Looking forward to your return to the world. I can tell you from experience, you're going to be cold for a long time. :lol:

Doc

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2013, 04:44 pm »
Guy 13,
I highly recommend an Audio-Technica AT440mla.  They are the cheapest from www.Turntableneedles.com.

WireNut

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2013, 06:14 pm »
Hi Guy13,

I bought the AT120E for $110.00 and a used Vista preamp for $125.00 and I'm supper happy with both. I read lots of reviews on the AT120E and the Shure M97XE. I was concerned that the AT120E would be bright and the Shure would be dull. There are so many people that like the AT440MLA that I figured I'd try the AT120E. Its not bright at all to me and I think its easily worth 100 bucks.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2013, 06:43 pm »
Don't worry, most all of us have done something stupid with a cartridge.  They're so delicate it's easy to make a mistake in handling.

I would suggest one of the Grado Prestige models.  You can pick any price you want to, they just go up in refinement as the price goes up, the basic sound is the same.  And you can upgrade at any time by purchasing a stylus assembly a few models higher, they're interchangeable.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2013, 12:01 am »
Don't worry, most all of us have done something stupid with a cartridge.  They're so delicate it's easy to make a mistake in handling.

I would suggest one of the Grado Prestige models.  You can pick any price you want to, they just go up in refinement as the price goes up, the basic sound is the same.  And you can upgrade at any time by purchasing a stylus assembly a few models higher, they're interchangeable.

Hi Letitroll98 and all Audio Circle members.
Now that you told me that all of you Audio Circle members has made mistake
like I did, I feel better, thanks. :lol:
Holy cow, I think I will go with that.
I will see if I can get it in Canada, if not, I will buy it at Needle Doctor,
unless you have a better place to suggest.
Thanks again.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2013, 12:04 am »
Hi Guy13,

I bought the AT120E for $110.00 and a used Vista preamp for $125.00 and I'm supper happy with both. I read lots of reviews on the AT120E and the Shure M97XE. I was concerned that the AT120E would be bright and the Shure would be dull. There are so many people that like the AT440MLA that I figured I'd try the AT120E. Its not bright at all to me and I think its easily worth 100 bucks.

Hi WireNut and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I will go with the
Made in US of A Grado.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2013, 12:06 am »
Guy 13,
I highly recommend an Audio-Technica AT440mla.  They are the cheapest from www.Turntableneedles.com.
Hi NIGHTFALL1970 and all Audio Circle members.
Like I told WireNut, I will go with Grado.
However, who knows what the future will bring,
I might change my mind for justified reason or for stupid and unreasonable reason. :duh:
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2013, 12:12 am »
Looking forward to your return to the world. I can tell you from experience, you're going to be cold for a long time. :lol:

Doc
Hi Devil Doc and all Audio Circle members.
I was exposed to cold and humid weather on one of my business trip
to Hong Kong (15C/95% humidity) and I froze to death...
I know that after 18 years in Vietnam at 30C+ my body will have to take a few months , if not a few years to get use to the Canadian Siberian cold, during the summer anyway.
Thanks for your moral support and encouragement. :lol:

Guy 13

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2013, 12:27 am »

I am a tube guy; therefore the Vista is not for me,
but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Do not fear the Vista!     :lol:

I'm a hardcore tube guy myself, and I happily listened to the Vista for several years.  It is EXCELLENT!       :thumb:  It's not shouty, hard, edgy, bright or like typical cheap SS in any way.  Dynamic and fast, smooth and musical, good inner detail.

Never heard the Bellari, but I'd still bet the Vista beats it.  I believe I've come across that comparo several times on the audio boards, and Vista comes out ahead.

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2013, 01:06 am »
Guy 13

I am basically a tube guy myself, except in phono stages.  The only quiet tube phono stage I have found are the ones by Music Reference.  I currently run the Vista into a SS preamp and then to a tube amp and get the best of both worlds.  From my experience too many tube units stacked one after the other  can lead to a lot of unwanted noise.  The Vista gives you almost limitless flexibility for loading and gain and if you need lower capacitance have Boris build your unit with lower values like I did. 

As to the Grado's, I would just order a basic Black unit and then order the 8MZ stylus, which is superior to the stylus in the Gold.  Needle Doctor and LP Gear are the only dealers for the 8MZ stylus.   This way you have a great cartridge stylus combo and a spare stylus for less than your budget.

Jack

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2013, 01:26 am »
Guy:

Let me get this straight: the TT is packed away until next year? You'll be spinning records again next year?

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2013, 03:41 am »

I think that the 5-7mv output of the Rega Exact mm cartridge is a plus or a good match for my system.
The Bellari VP-129 as some gain, (The volume control is set at 2 O’clock) but my Niteshade Audio SE Pentode (Model NS-10) needs 2 volts at its input to get the full 10 wpc.

I'm not sure but I think the Bellari might present a problem that only a very high output like the Rega, can solve.  You're going straight in from your phono stage to your amp?  The VP-129 only has 30dB gain.  Without a line stage you'll probably be screwed with a regular cart.  I think you'll either have to send the Rega to Soundsmith, get a disco cart (even higher output), or an SUT for the Benz. 
Sorry, but an ounce of prevention.....
neo