Precision 0.1 resistors in Aksa 55 N+

ewiemann

« on: 10 Jul 2004, 10:07 pm »
Hi all,

I just wondered if high precision resistors like the Vishay-Dale CMF-55-143 (non-magnetic) would make any difference in the Aksa 55N+.

They can be bought rather cheap from www.schuro.de in Germany.

I am going to buy some for my old Marantz CD-63 se, and it would be easier to buy all the resistors I need at the same time.

Have fun

Erik
Denmark

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2004, 12:34 am »
Hi Erik,

Thanks for the post, you raise in interesting point.

The emitter resistors on the output devices are presently sand cast resistors, which earn a bad rap from many for their industrial appearance.

However, replacing these with thick film resistors, a type of metal film, does bring tiny improvements, nothing to really bother with.  The precision of these resistors is not important, as it is compensated by the bias trimpot during setup.  +/-10% is actually OK.  But I found much more effect by changing other components.  So, within these close margins, yes, by all means replace them, but be sure they are 0.47 or 0.5 ohms.  These are largish emitter resistors for PP SS audio amplifiers, as they have strong influence on the feedback factor (and hence the sonics) as well as the stability of the quiescent current.  Not a good idea to change them down to 0.1R!!

Cheers,

Hugh