Anyone bypassing a preamp and using a DAC/Server as a preamp?

geowak

I started the process to simplify my system with some experiments. I noticed (with my system) that going directly from my Benchmark DAC/Preamp to my amplifier yielded much better resolution, dynamics and clarity. Just wondering what everyone is doing? Are you still using a conventional tube or SS preamp? What else have you tried?

rodge827

I'm using my Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0.
Running my transport directly into the D/C Dac and out to my amp and subs.
Other stuff I have tried is Virtual Mode Passive, Audio Note Kits M3, Warpspeed Optocoupler, and Sonic Euphoria preamps.

cheap-Jack

Hi.
I started the process to simplify my system with some experiments. I noticed (with my system) that going directly from my Benchmark DAC/Preamp to my amplifier yielded much better resolution, dynamics and clarity.

Just wondering what everyone is doing? Are you still using a conventional tube or SS preamp? What else have you tried?

Bingo! This is the way to get better music, my friend.

Less active electronics in the signal path, better will be the music! Go for it. :thumb:

Any quality CD/DVD player will give typically 2Vrms O/P voltage on 600R O/P impedance.
Good enough to drive any power amp direct - NO need of any active linestage/preamp in between.

I use passive linestages I DIYed since day one many years back with NO regret sonically.

c-J

mcgsxr

Years ago (around 8 I think) when I first discovered the Logitech SB3 I had a cd transport, Monarcy Superbit, dac, and tubed Hagerman Clarinet preamp.

I had Wayne at Bolder mod my SB3, and when it broke in I sold off all my other gear.  Running that SB3 directly into my amp was a revelation.

I have since sold all that gear off, finished the basement and put in a full 5.1 setup in that room.  I use logitech software to server up my FLAC, but now connect it all to an AV receiver.

JCarney

I have been running naked for over a year now, and could not be happier. A whole lot less gear, cables, and just general clutter, has improved my room as well. Getting rid of the rack, and all its clutter from between the speakers cleared up imaging and depth, which helped with the overall sound stage. External 3 tb drive, super tweaked Mac Mini running VLC with volume controlled in the digital domain, optical out into a Parasound Z-Dac, balanced out to a Pascal digital stereo amp, and then to the noise makers. One toslink cable, one pair of ic's, one pair of speaker cables, that's it. I now look at complicated systems like mine was, and chuckle because I now know how much better simple is over complicated. I lost my neurosis. I just listen now.

Best of luck,
JCarney

highfilter

Used to have W4S STP-SE Preamp -> DAC (Tranquility SE / NAD M51) -> Amp (DAC Cherry Jr). Although the sound was fantastic, removing the preamp and going from NAD M51 straight into the amp is the best configuration for my system yet. Less components in the chain, more money in my wallet, better system performance. Dead silent operation, clean and powerful, more dynamic, and less cables in the way.

Cleaning up the USB power from the computer source helped quite a bit as well. More focus on the stereo image and slight clean-up of harshness.

Computer -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers. Lovely.  :D

geowak

I think that a Ref preamp from the likes of ARC or Ayre might sound better inserted into the hifi system, and I have heard hi-end integrated amps (some tubed) that seem to be designed to mate amp and preamp sections in a harmonious way that sound fabulous. Still in my modest system
that is not high $$, bypassing the preamp with a high quality DAC seems to be the ticket.

Integrating subs with the maggies, now that is challenging!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Me too.  Me too.  DAC thru Bent Audio TVC to amps.  Depends on DAC having enough output voltage to drive amps, though.

neekomax

So funny you should mention it! Guess what I did today? Yup, bypassed my Peachtree Audio Decco integrated thatI've been using as preamp. Wasn't really planned, but I received new amps in the mail today, and when I went to hook up the monos to the the Decco, the left channel didn't work at all, for some weird reason- just loud noise. It had been working fine up until that moment hooked up to my Acurus DIA-100 stereo amp, but nope, left channel sounded fried.

So, I tried my DSPeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 (longest name ever  :roll:) direct via RCA into the new Tube Audio Design Hibachi IIs, and lo and behold, both channels work, sounds great (It could be a bad cable, haven't tested that).

Anyhoo, in the interest of evaluating the sound of the new amps, I'm just leaving it that way for a bit, without the Decco preamp section in the signal path. Listening to the Bob James Trio right now, sounds really good.

Here's my stuff. Source (Mac Mini) and DAC (DSPeaker DC), are on the top left shelf.  Decco and Acurus are behind the Hibachi II monoblocks, and not in use.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
How are you bypassing the preamp when you are using a preamp/dac?  :scratch:

neekomax

How are you bypassing the preamp when you are using a preamp/dac?  :scratch:

Well, I'm bypassing my normal tube/hybrid preamp, and going from the DAC, which also has volume attenuation, so I guess that's technically also a pre, so in a pure sense, I'm not. But I am taking a whole component I was using as a preamp out of the chain.

rodge827

neekomax,

I think you will like using the Dual Core as an "all in one" solution, provided you don't have a lot of different sources.
I run mine optical input only with output to amp and subs, and like what I'm hearing.

Chris

Quiet Earth

Still in love with my passive TVC.....  :inlove:

I think an active pre only makes sense if you use a low gain power amp and inefficient speakers. I know guys that strongly disagree, and some that use an attenuator in front of the amp or after the DAC. It's just not for me. Too congested and too noisy.

nyc_paramedic

I started the process to simplify my system with some experiments. I noticed (with my system) that going directly from my Benchmark DAC/Preamp to my amplifier yielded much better resolution, dynamics and clarity. Just wondering what everyone is doing? Are you still using a conventional tube or SS preamp? What else have you tried?

My setup is Alix/Voyage MPD -> Ayre QB-9 -> Placette Audio RVC -> Quicksilver Mono 88 amps. The Placette was a revelation in regards to sound stage clarity and focus, transparency and bass.

The RVC handles only one input. There is another model that will handle 3 inputs and is still passive. The top of the line "active linestage" has more features and a Class A buffered output for situation where cabling is an issue.

There is no loss of dynamics or "darkness" with the Placette. It offers a resistive load with high precision Vishay resistors. Plenty has been written about these units. I got mine used on Audiogin and will not part with it. The remote control is great, too.

Link:http://www.placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm

charmerci

It seems to work for a lot of people.

However, depending upon the source, you should be fine. But if someday down the road, your amp goes bad, it's been wrecked by out-of-bandwith garbage (that a good pre-amp will filter out) being dumped into your amp.

WC

Seems like it has a lot to do with the quality of the DAC and preamp.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Seems like it has a lot to do with the quality of the DAC and preamp.

I agree... I am running an Exasound E20, which BTW, has an excellent volume control directly into my NCore amps (all balanced).  While it is true that I cut down on the various cables associated with having a pre in the chain, and the sound was very good, I have to admit that when I re-inserted Ted_b's Bent Audio TAP back into the system, the sound did improve.

I am probably at some point going to bite the bullet and just order the parts from John at Bent Audio and build a TAP-X.  In my humble opinion, the quality of the component you choose has everything to do with your outcome.

Regards,

Randy

Quiet Earth

.... if someday down the road, your amp goes bad, it's been wrecked by out-of-bandwith garbage (that a good pre-amp will filter out) being dumped into your amp.

Why would this happen? I have used two different TVCs for around 10 years and I haven't had a problem like that yet. But I am always open to learning new things.

Most people who argue against using a passive resistor-based attenuator are quick to point out the high frequency roll-off due to cable capacitance vs. length. Wouldn't this be bandwidth limiting in a sense?  Why would that cause a well made power amplifier to "go bad"?

And transformers are definitely bandwidth limited, although I know it is possible to have a 200kHz impedance spike on the output of certain taps (which can be tuned out with a cap and resistor). I'm not even sure that would cause an amplifier to oscillate though. Or could it?

Also, why couldn't an active preamp amplify a problem? Not that it would by nature, but just sayin'.

charmerci

I don't know the details but it happened to me years ago with a highly regarded CD player with a volume control (Not Pioneer, etc.) directly into my amp.

I'm just saying it could happen, that's all.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
I'm using my Squeezebox Touch as the preamp in my system; via its optical output, into a DSP/Crossover/DAC, and then analog out to the amps & speakers.   This allows an all digital signal path with a single D/A conversion coming out of the digital crossover.  It just didn't make sense to have my old analog Carver C1 preamp in the loop anymore.