Outlaw RR2150

Captainhemo

Outlaw RR2150
« on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:17 am »
Hi Guys
First post in this circle but I have been  following it  from time to time, seems to be lots of good info here.
I'm  just curious to know  if  pretty much everyone still consideres the RR2150 as the reciever to get  for 2 channel audio in that price range.   I had been considering  going to seperates but  the cost of  an amp, pre amp, tuner,  dac  just    ends up being too high for me.  I'm currently using an Integra DTR 5.3 which I have had since approx 2001 when I purchased it new.  It is being used for 2 channel audio pretty mcuh exclisvely and is paired with my recently finished GR Research OB7's  It has performed flawlessly over the years and produces a bright yet  very smooth sound. While I can't  complain about the  DTR 5.3's performance,  I can't  help but feel  that the Outlaw would  definaitely be a step up.   I've read  a lot of  reviews  on the RR2150 and am  impressed by all the reports of such great maging and  soundstage reproduction.  By all reports, it sounds  like it does a wonderful job of reproducing the orignal environment from the recording.
The one  big drawback to internet direct sales, is there just isn't a place to audition anything before  making a decision.   I don't imagine  it will be cheap to have  one shipped up  here to Canada either, will see what Outlaw says about that.
Anyone out there ever heard  both the Integra DTR 5.3  and the Outlaw RR2150 ?
Appreciate any input or suggstions of other options to  consider

-jay

srb

Re: Outlaw RR2150
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:22 am »
Is AM/FM radio something you need, or will an integrated amp with internal DAC also work for you?

Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:56 am »
Well,  I do listen to  quite a bit of FM radioi during the day but I don't think finding a decent used tuner for a good price would be a problem. 
Would there be a better integrated amp w/dac  soulution in the same price range ?
-jay

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:27 am »
I was so close to buying one of these when I was first building in '10. This was very appealing to the noob in me. Still looks nice.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:12 am »
Well,  I do listen to  quite a bit of FM radioi during the day but I don't think finding a decent used tuner for a good price would be a problem. 
Would there be a better integrated amp w/dac  soulution in the same price range ?

No, not for use with a tuner.  I was thinking of the NuForce DDA-100, but its digital-only inputs wouldn't lend itself for use with a typical analog tuner.

Another very appealing integrated w/DAC, the Peachtree Nova 125 is 2X+ times the price of the RR2150 at $1500.

In the middle is something like the NAD C 356DAC ($899), but I have no idea how it and the RR2150 compare in sound.  I know I am wrongly letting the kitschy looking front panel (to me) of the RR2150 cloud my judgement because it does have a lot of features for the price as well as decent power output.

Steve

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:06 pm »
Hi Guys
First post in this circle but I have been  following it  from time to time, seems to be lots of good info here.
I'm  just curious to know  if  pretty much everyone still consideres the RR2150 as the reciever to get  for 2 channel audio in that price range.   I had been considering  going to seperates but  the cost of  an amp, pre amp, tuner,  dac  just    ends up being too high for me.  I'm currently using an Integra DTR 5.3 which I have had since approx 2001 when I purchased it new.  It is being used for 2 channel audio pretty mcuh exclisvely and is paired with my recently finished GR Research OB7's  It has performed flawlessly over the years and produces a bright yet  very smooth sound. While I can't  complain about the  DTR 5.3's performance,  I can't  help but feel  that the Outlaw would  definaitely be a step up.   I've read  a lot of  reviews  on the RR2150 and am  impressed by all the reports of such great maging and  soundstage reproduction.  By all reports, it sounds  like it does a wonderful job of reproducing the orignal environment from the recording.
The one  big drawback to internet direct sales, is there just isn't a place to audition anything before  making a decision.   I don't imagine  it will be cheap to have  one shipped up  here to Canada either, will see what Outlaw says about that.
Anyone out there ever heard  both the Integra DTR 5.3  and the Outlaw RR2150 ?
Appreciate any input or suggstions of other options to  consider

-jay

Regarding Jay your issue regarding internet direct sales (no opportunity to audition) some personal thoughts; 1) Cost:  because there's no middle mark up...which can be substantial at 40-60%, good possibility you can upgrade your purchase without spending more.  2) Auditioning:  If you do find those components you're looking for locally and are able to fully kick the tires, there's no guarantee they'll perform identical in your environment due to different acoustical parameters and down streaming.   3)  Most if not all on-line audio companies understand well #2 and are very generous to have product returned unconditionally (which is the way all vendors should be internet or not).  4)  Experience:  I've have purchased and will continue to do so with Axiom, Aperion, Denon, Emotiva & Outlaw Audio.  Some more than others.  Point here is that EVERYONE of these vendors has been outstanding in terms of the buying process.   So positive in fact for me, I'm quite surprised other companies haven't followed.  Path is there.  Technology is there.   

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:46 pm »
IIRC, the outlaw receiver has been around for awhile so it must be doing something right. Check out their site - they have a forum, granted you'll get biased feedback. They may also have some b-stock available.

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:44 pm »
FireGuy, +1 on Axiom, Aperion, Denon, Emotiva & Outlaw Audio.  If you don't like it just send the products back.  All five listed companies are a joy to deal with.  In fact at Axiom Audio you can talk directly to the owner Ian.  He will call you. 
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 07:20 pm by milford3 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:05 pm »
Agreed, all those points make total sense.  This   is how I've  purchased speaker kits too so  why should an amp/receiver be any different....
Any other recommendations are welcome.  I can probably  make do without a tuner as I can get the  FM station I listen to   streamed over the net.  However,  I will stell  need  analog inuts.  A pre out/LFE  out is also  required

Going to read about the Peachtree Nova 125   as well as the nad C356Dac.  I'm definitely  not in any rush  will continue reding

Thanks for the input    thus far

-jay

ixlr8

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:18 pm »
I just found this post, not sure if you are still looking at the RR2150. I have the RR2150 and I am looking to get rid of it for something better. The FM section is poor, sensitivity and selectivity, which is what I listen to 80% of the time. All the inputs have different levels to them. Say at zero volume the knob is at 7:00, to get reasonable level using CD input, I set the knob around 11 oclock, I will listen to CD's at volumes between 10:00 and 12:00. But for the same volume level on FM, the knob is set to 7:20, so my listening range on FM is from 7:15 to 7:30, very little movement on the volume knob. When the FM input is selected it is very difficult to adjust the volume with the remote. With the remote, the volume control is driven with a motor and it tends to over shoot the volume level you are trying to set. Also, if listening to the FM at very low levels... one speaker drops out. This suggests to me that the volume control is not a quality item. To select different inputs you rotate a knob and the input you want is selected digitally. If you move the knob too fast it can select something different than what you want and you end up trying again to find the input you want. It does sound good, but I have put up with it's quirks for 3 years and I have had enough and it is heading for the trash.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm »
That's unfortunate. The RR2150 has a VERY stout and good sounding amplifier section. Wonder if the quirks were fixed in later production runs?

ixlr8

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:34 am »
That's unfortunate. The RR2150 has a VERY stout and good sounding amplifier section. Wonder if the quirks were fixed in later production runs?
I know that for 1.5 years after the RR came out there were lots of complaints to the folks at Outlaw about these issues and they all fell on deaf ears. Then the focus on the RR forums became owners trying to come up with their own fixes, some were slightly successful. I don't know of any changes Outlaw made to address these issues. I do agree that the RR does have a solid and very good sounding amplifier section. It is just the ancillary stuff that they really cheaped out on to keep the price down that is driving me to junk it.

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:41 am »
Ah, I see. That's really lame. You should sell it to a college kid to blast at parties. It should be good for that at least.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:27 pm »
Hey Captnh - 1st off the customer service from the Outlaws is excellent. I've purchased a number of items previously. Sadly my experience with the RR2150 tends to mimic ixlr8's. The volume control motor is very poor, not for anything approximating fine tuning. I bought one of the first runs back in '07 I believe it was. Within a week the motor died. I spoke with customer service, they said they'd send me a replacement, and shipping label for return of the defective unit.

Received the replacement unit pretty quick, within a week or so if I remember, but never received the return shipping label, so still have 2. Within a few months the replacement unit dropped a channel, and the original unit did what was noted by ixlr8's, at low level volumes would also drop a channel.  Even using the volume control by had is not as accurate as it should/could be, and the shaft on both is what I would consider very sloppy. I still use the EPL out connections on one for the tuner section here in my office system, with no channel problems so have no doubt it's something to do with the volume control unit. The 2nd unit is sitting on the bench in the garage, top off, in hopes I can get some contact cleaner into the enclosed assy to see if that will solve anything. On the whole I think it's a solid unit, does a number of things well, some only so-so. A friend also purchased a unit a year or so after I did, and experienced the same channel issues, and volume control problem. He had a 950 Pre/Pro that worked fine, he's since upgraded to different unit for more features. I have a 990 Pre/Pro that has had no problems, though is currently in stg since I dis-assembled my combo 2-channel/HT system. Just no place to use it, and lacking HDMI isn't of much interest to a couple of friends that otherwise would be interested. I also have one of their LFM-2 subs, which is a nice little unit. The plate amp died just prior to the 3 yr warranty, they sent a replacement unit no questions asked.

So in general you won't go wrong with their gear or service, but if ixlr8's unit is only 3 years old it sounds like there is a lack of consistency in the manufacturing, and some long existing problems have not been addressed. Wayner here on AC has one, and to my knowledge has had no problems, and nothing but praise for it's operation & value. Good luck on the hunt. If I get the down unit working I'll shoot you a PM, if interested you can give a try. ...............JD

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:35 pm »
The wife has it in her sewing room, paired up with some Focal 908 Profile speakers. I have not had one problem with it and while the volume control is fast using the remote, she usually adjusts the volume manually. It is used primarily for FM, and I have a very expensive Channel Master antenna system in the house, so reception is not a problem, even tho I'm in deep fringe. Mine was purchased after the unit was out for about 6 months and I read the first reviews from one of the rags. Overall, I give it a B+ or A- in performance and of course, I haven't had any problems as others have had...that's too bad.

Marantz has the SR-4023 receiver that is the next model after my SR-4021. I think it has about 80WRMS per channel and is a breeze to run, and the remote volume has no glitches. That one I can easily recommend, but I also might put it below the Outlaw in terms of fidelity. Otherwise, it can crank out some tunes, too. I use the Marantz out in the garage during the summer, paired up with some Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs.

Wayner