Thinking about getting out of straight tube amp

sjh500

Thinking about getting out of straight tube amp
« on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:57 am »
So I just started thinking about getting out of pure tube amplification and came across this group and product. Sorry if I'm a little slow on this group/manufacturer but I've been buried in tube only for a while now. I only just now started thinking about solid state or hybrid amplifiers as an option in the last couple of days, as I am really getting sick of only being able to have good sound after a good 45 minute warm up. I am really busy with work, so during the week its not really an option for me to listen to my system, and that sucks. Hybrid seems like a good go between, as with my thinking it seems that less tubes may mean faster warm up times? Anyway, my system consists of a Don Allen preamp, Symphonic Line Legato speakers, and a CEC CD Player. My tube amp is the weak link. Speakers are 89db 6ohm.

What I am looking for is opinions on AVM gear against gear I may have heard, and how it compares. Just to give you a reference...I heard very very expensive Boulder monoblocks that I thought were terrible about 5 years ago. I have yet to find a pure solid state amp that I like the sound of, so hybrid technology has my curiousity peaked. I am very wary of reviewers, so I thought I would go to the owners circle to get opinions.

Thanks

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Thinking about getting out of straight tube amp
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:08 am »
What's your budget? Are you open to previously owned?

sjh500

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:12 am »
Mu budget is $2,500 and under used. Nowadays I don' think that would get me anywhere new.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:22 am »
Mu budget is $2,500 and under used. Nowadays I don' think that would get me anywhere new.

PM an offer on this amp and never look back.  :thumb:

I'm not associated with this seller in any way, outside of us all being members of AC.

Have fun,

Jerry

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm »
Shoot, I like my AVA U70 so much if this were an issue I would just get a timer and turn it on before I got home... :D

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2013, 12:53 pm »
PM an offer on this amp and never look back.  :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm »
After you get this amp put these tubes in it:
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=304&osCsid=5f488006d13eddd3ec5cc263a29d7084

This amp would cost you $3250.00 new!  It is $250.00 for the silver faceplate alone.

This is one hell of a bargain! :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2013, 01:09 pm »
I would stick with tubes for the preamp section, and maybe go with solid state for the power amp section.  I'm sure Frank could assist you on this. The preamp section is where tubes provide the biggest bang for the buck, as it were.

Tubes warm up fairly quickly compared to some solid state.  A lot of the First Watt/Pass Labs offerings can take up to an hour to reach optimum performance.   

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:13 pm »
I could not find any data from a web search for your loudspeakers.  What are their efficient and impedance ratings?

Assuming they are within normal ratings, I would suggest one of our Synergy solid state power amplifiers and Transcendence 8+ vacuum tube preamplfier to provide the "no warmup" and turn it on and enjoy the music capability.

Both of these designs have great reviews, the preamp has been on TAS Editor's choice list for the past four years and has been improved every year.  The new Synergy solid state amps just got an "over the top" review in Enjoy the Music.

You can read this review here.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy_450.htm

Please call me for more help.  651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine

srb

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:22 pm »
I could not find any data from a web search for your loudspeakers.  What are their efficient and impedance ratings?

As far as I can tell, the Symphonic Line Legato speakers sold in Europe are essentially the same design and components as the Odyssey Lorelei speakers.

Woofer:  Scanspeak 18W/8545-00
Tweeter: Scanspeak D2905-97000
Sensitivity: 89dB
Impedance: 6 ohm

Steve

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
My tube amp is the weak link.

Which tube amp do you own? Mine sounds good about 3 minutes after I turn it on. Of course it does sound a little better after being on for several hours, but its not like it has a complete personality change.

I remember when my work/life schedule dictated brief weekend listening like you described. Try leaving all of your source components powered up 24/7, and then turn the amp on Friday night. Turn the amp off Sunday night, or when you are done for the weekend. See if that routine helps before you swap anymore gear.

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:39 pm »
Assuming an 89db sensitive speaker and a 6 ohm nominal impedance, a Synergy 300 power amp ($1499) would be all the amplifier you would need.  It is powered up and playing perfectly by the time you get from the power switch to the volume control.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:43 pm »
We strongly urge you to NOT leave your equipment on all the time.

This generates excess heat and wastes electricity.  Heat is the enemy of electronic components and can change a small fault into a major calamity if it occurs in the middle of the night when you are not there to notice it.  No well designed audio component should take more than a few minutes to reach its full musical potential.  If it takes more time, it is a thermally unstable design and a bad design.

Frank Van Alstine

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:18 pm »
We strongly urge you to NOT leave your equipment on all the time.

This generates excess heat and wastes electricity.  Heat is the enemy of electronic components and can change a small fault into a major calamity if it occurs in the middle of the night when you are not there to notice it.  No well designed audio component should take more than a few minutes to reach its full musical potential.  If it takes more time, it is a thermally unstable design and a bad design.

Frank Van Alstine

Well said, agreed. 

sjh500

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for all the insight. I didn't know leaving SS on all the time would be a bad thing....maybe I'm thinking of CD players? I'll take a look at the amps mentioned and do some research. The info is correct on the speakers...not a difficult load, but the do like a little power.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2013, 10:36 pm »
If you can only listen to your system for an hour on the weekend and you desire that late-at-night, it's-been-running-all-day experience, you might have to accept the fact that it just ain't gonna happen with either tube or solid state amplification. You should still be able to get fantastic sound, but not the on-all-day sound in less than twenty minutes.

I do think that it makes a big difference leaving your source components on all the time. Especially DACs. Try that if you haven't already.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:14 pm »
Hey Top.   l leave mine on, too.  Not my pre, however, cause of tube life.   

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:15 pm »
Ah um, this is a AVA thread and I really don't care if you guys with none AVA amplifier have to leave them on for hours to get them to sound good.  You don't have to do this with AVA equipment.  Poor thermal stability is bad design.

Think twice about calling my advice stupid, I have been doing this probably since before you guys were born.

In general, all audioflake advice is wrong and contrary to good electrical engineering.   Try reading many of the back issues of Audio Basics, a newletter I wrote for over 20 years. They are all available as free .pdf downloads and my web site, www.avahifi.com

Frank Van Alstine

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm »
Perhaps Mr. van Alstine, whom has been designing and building his amps for over 40 years, knows fully well how his amps perform and how long they require to warm up.

I can confirm that his AVA solid state amps sound great very soon after turning them on, and I have been listening to one or another of them continuously since 1979. Along the way, I have also listened to other manufacturer's amps that don't sound good until they have been on for at least half an hour or more.

Saying a design is flawed because it takes time to come on sound is just stupidity.

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm »
I leave my amps on all the time too. They only consume a few watts, literally just a few watts at idle and would probably do more harm switching them on and off all the time.