Sound differences between Symphonic Line and Odyssey amplifiers

sjh500

I am thinking of going to solid state only for convenience sake. I love tubes, but it's difficult because of the warm up factor to get anything longer than 1/2 hour of listening during the week. With solid state I could leave it on all the time. However, I have never heard solid state amplification that I like, and that includes very expensive Boulder monoblocks. I am very fond of the full sound of tubes, and in my opinion, solid state brings a sterility to the sound that I don't hear in live music. My system consists of Symphonic Line Legato's, a Don Allen preamp, and my source is a CEC TL-51XR cd player. What I'm looking for is an amp that can come close to tubes and still retain the benefits of solid state.

So, has anybody listened to the Symphonic Line stuff and compared to Odyssey amplifiers? I know we are talking different price ranges, but Symphonic Line used to Klaus' new price might be close. I've heard incredibly rave reviews suggesting that Symphonic Line are the best solid state out there, and have also read good things about the odyssey amps. Knowing that they are tied closely together is obviously a good thing. Not having heard either presents an obvious problem, especially knowing that I don't typically like solid state.

By the way, I am in live with my speakers!!!

Thanks for the help

geowak

Had both. SL was better. The integrated amp I had by SL was better built and sounded better than the preamp/ stereo amp by Odyssey. Was not close....

sjh500

Thanks for the response and insight. Which model Symphonic Line and Odyssey did you hear/have?

geowak

I had a Stratos amp with red board. I had a Tempest preamp and later, a Candela preamp. I do not remember the Model/name of the Symphonic Line integrated amp. Klaus had sent it to me, while the Candela and Stratos were with him for repair.

klaus@odyssey

Happy that you like the speakers.....yup, $ 12 K in Europe,  $ 2,700 as our Loreleis.
As for the amps in question,  the RG 14 integrated is essentially the RG2 and RG 11 SL's as an integrated.  Our Tempest is exactly the same,  identical !!!  As for our amps,  we take the RG 11  design and add better parts quality, have tighter manufacturing.  So,  essentially they have the same design, with the Preamp being 100 % identical (same board and power supply !!!) and the amp parts being bettered in our higher options, no matter what is being said.  Either way,  you'll be golden,  but ultimately, the Odyssey combo is less money and has better performance.  Now,  if you want to go up the SL scale to the Kraftwerk's,   that is a different story altogether.  These beasts are simply world class.....

Late,
Klaus

Photon46

So Klaus, what do the Kraftquelle and Kraftwerk SL integrated amps cost here in the USA?

rooze

I was fortunate enough to have a pair of Odyssey Stratos Glass Ceiling monos in my system for about a month. (loaners from a friend). Of all the amps I've heard and owned I can't think of anything that would provide you with a less troublesome transition from tubes to SS. I hate using terms such as 'tube like' when I'm talking about SS gear, because they never are, but the Odyssey's walk just on the warm side of neutral and have a big, lush enveloping sound. They're more detailed than tube amps at a similar price point (and up), yet never sound etched or hard in their presentation of the information.

I haven't heard Symphonic gear but I understand the lineage involved and if Klaus says the Odyssey's are better amps at a lower price then I think you have an easy decision. If buying new, expect a lengthy break-in. Even when re-powering amps which are fully broken-in it can take a half day or so before they come up to a full head of steam.

sjh500

Fortunately Klaus, I didn't have to pay nearly that much! I got a really good deal on them. That being said, they've bettered speakers that are $10,000. What I'm afraid of is that I won't get the full sound I I hear in live music that tubes give you, from SS. I really wish I could hear this stuff....Klaus, how do the Kismet monoblocks compare the the higher end Symphonic Line?

stereo5

• Current System
A question for Klaus,

If the Lorelei's are 12K in Germany, what would my Kismet Reference floor standing speakers be equivalent to in the Symphonic Line?  My Kismets are a "souped up" (your words) pair of the Lorelei's.

lazydays

I honestly think that when you move into the far upper ends of the amps selection the differences are small, but when you get into the upper mid amps (cost wise) we can hear vast differences. This guy's amp will play louder than this other guy's will, but who cares? The really serious differences start to show up when you have the volume knob turned down real low. I have heard maybe six or eight pairs of speakers that I could live with till I finally croaked. But on the other hand have listened to hundreds of speakers in my lifetime. The Lorelies are fine speakers, and I own a pair. Klaus will also tell you they are not my favorites, but also one fifth the price tag. Plus they just won't fit my room. So I'll probably live with them till I give up the ghost. There are changes that could have been made with them, that might have made life a little more interesting, and then again might not have. But they look good and if I ever decide to get married again that will of course be important (NOT!!). I am big on live acoustic music, and know lots of musicians. They taught me to be somewhat picky, but a couple also say I'm a little too picky (NOT!). I use the Candella and two other preamps cause I like tubes. For the most part the Candella is better. Would I buy another? Probably not simply because I still desire a tape loop. (gotta play those bootlegs). Still I'm convinced in my old age that the preamp is just as important as the amps if not more important. What I need is for Klaus to loan me a Tempest SE for about a month or six weeks (G). Reason I say loan is that a solid state preamp sorta scares me. I want that liquidity of the sound with the buffered effect to tone down a CD. Yet I kinda think it maybe the last word with an LP. Maybe my new Governer's 10% tax reduction might make it happen<g>! Fat chance I already know!
gary

TAULISA

Hi there...

Being an old enthusiast and tester of Odyssey Audio and Symphonic Line mono blocks since 2001, no doubt  .... as Klaus states:
That is a different story altogether for the overall sound in itself !
Having borrowed in the past throughout Europe and auditioned very carefully twice in my system:
ODYSSEY AUDIO KISMET MONO BLOCKS vs. SYMPHONIC LINE HIGH SOCIETY MONO BLOCKS....
Needless to say the HIGH SOCIETY MONOBLOCKS unveils at first sight 250.000 µF featuring special capacitors and based upon
another design !
Strangely enough from my personal auditioning standpoint, €uros 18.000 for a pair of HIGH SOCIETY MONOBLOCKS in Europe
is not a 100% improvement for what it's worth in comparison with the KISMET MONO BLOCKS meaning you do not feel the musical sensation of having spent three times as much for what you initially expected from the HIGH SOCIETY MONOBLOCKS.

Don't get me wrong! There are significant and subtle improvements here and there around the overall soundstage mainly in details, transient passages and all relevant stuff; but the price being charged for it does not witness the difference that much
on the long run !

Bottom line:
Klaus once told me over the phone he was presently done with the Kismet mono blocks !

Believe it or not if he keeps endeavouring from where he started upgrading way back in 2001 with the standard Stratos monoblocks he will undoubtedly unveil special gears outclassing the current Kismets through and through; thus, costing twice as less compared with the  HIGH SOCIETY MONOBLOCKS !

I would not be stating things accordingly had I not have auditioned the SYMPHONIC LINE HIGH SOCIETY MONO BLOCKS 

Toby

gnana sekhar

Hi,
      I am Gnana Sekhar Thompson from India.  Guys, I need your help.  I am searching for a SS Power amp. to pair with my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand Speakers and Cary Audio Design Pre-amp.  I have 2 options.  One Symphonic Line RG 1 Mk.4 and other one is Odyssey Audio KISMET Extreme "Power Amplifier".  Please give your valuable suggestions.  Both the amps are pre-owned and the price difference will be about 600$.  I am very eagerly waiting for your early opinions.
                                    with thanks

gnana sekhar

Hi,
      Your help is very urgently needed.  Come on please

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I was fortunate enough to have a pair of Odyssey Stratos Glass Ceiling monos in my system for about a month. (loaners from a friend). Of all the amps I've heard and owned I can't think of anything that would provide you with a less troublesome transition from tubes to SS. I hate using terms such as 'tube like' when I'm talking about SS gear, because they never are, but the Odyssey's walk just on the warm side of neutral and have a big, lush enveloping sound. They're more detailed than tube amps at a similar price point (and up), yet never sound etched or hard in their presentation of the information.

I haven't heard Symphonic gear but I understand the lineage involved and if Klaus says the Odyssey's are better amps at a lower price then I think you have an easy decision. If buying new, expect a lengthy break-in. Even when re-powering amps which are fully broken-in it can take a half day or so before they come up to a full head of steam.

As a tube lover myself, there are very few SS amps that I would be able to live with.  The Odyssey's, the Accuphase, and the Pass First Watt stuff.  And that's about it. 

pfradale

Hi,
      Your help is very urgently needed.  Come on please

Listen to both, make your own decision. Both will treat you well. If one is younger, factor that into your purchase. Even SS gear ages.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  If it were me stick with Klaus. However demo anything you are considering first. If you get his amp buy his cables as well and be very very happy.

charles

anodyne

Hey Gnana,

I actually have the same speakers (going to be up for sale soon) paired with a Odyssey Candela and Stratos Monos Extremes.  The pairing of the Baby Grands and monos sounds wonderful together.  The Vienna's dip pretty low so you need some good power behind them.  I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Kismets.  My monos are actually being upgraded to kismet status right now.

gnana sekhar

Hi,
      Thank you very very much.  Demo is not a possible thing because both amps are nearly 800 miles away from my place.  I am quite sure that the SL RG-4 Mk-4 will definitely superior than Kismet.  All I want to know is, the difference between Symphonic Line RG-1 Mk-4 and Odyssey Audio Kismet Power amp (not monos).
The SL was purchased during 1997 and upgraded during 2004 and the Kismet was purchased during 2008.  Eagerly waiting for you replies.
                                                with thanks

klaus@odyssey

Hi Gnana,

OK,  both amps will work fantastic with your speakers,  no question....As for the differences of the amps,  well,  the Kismet has been so upgraded and changed,  that it is not really a SL anymore,  even though it surely has that family sound to it.  With the SL RG 1,  a Mk3 has been in the late 90's,  but there is a difference between Sanken and Toshiba's (in the earlier Mk3's) on the output side.  The Toshibas are not made anymore, and that is a huge problem if something goes wrong...Ultimately, considering the price difference,  I would suggest the Kismet for you,  especially at this attractive price.  It's quite close in performance,  and if you'd have a problem down the road,  I'll help you out personally.....

Now,  as for a Mk4  amplifier,  that would be easy to service,  but man,  you're talking a completely different price point here.  And as for the RG 4's,  they are ridiculously good.  If you have that kind of money to spend,  then definitely go with it.........

Hope that all helps.  Bottom line,  look at your budget,  because you only have great options here.....

Late,

Klaus

gnana sekhar

Hi,
     Thank you very much for your reply.  The SL amp was bought in 1997 (as Mk-3) and sent to the factory for upgrade in 2004.
                                      with regards.