A turntable clinic in June - Sunday, June 9th from 1 to 5 pm

daves

Would anyone be interested in a turntable clinic in June? I'm trying to think of something interesting, that deviates a little from our standard monthly get together, and that is not too taxing. We have a number of folks who are well versed in sorting turntables, and it is something that I do not know much about at the same time. Whaddoyathink?

So far, we have
Ken Seger
Mike Jaffe
Dave Mc

Don Bingaman
Kevin B
Mike M
Roger S
Steve A
Dave
Rick
Mike Fremer
Mike
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2013, 02:42 am by daves »

sturgus

Re: A possible turntable clinic in May
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:41 pm »
Dave, that sounds like a very good idea. If I am able to get off I would attend.
This could be a nice learning experience.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:54 am »
Sounds like fun, I would be interested

electricbear

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2013, 01:39 pm »
Make sure you let Mike Missell and Francis Baumli know about this. They are both gurus when it comes to setting up tables.

electricbear

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2013, 01:54 pm »
There is an interesting free app for the iphone called iRPM. It uses your iphone to check rotational speed. Check it out.

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:06 pm »
I'll be there if my job doesn't get in the way.  Any specific table you're going to use?  Maybe that new "vintage" table you got this year? 

Sounds like fun.

daves

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm »
Well, some of the tables could include a Thorens 124, 125, 160, Empire 208, Fairchild 412, and ROK, to scratch the surface.

Mike's TD160 rubs, which aggravates him to death.

We could set up three areas and have a fantasy draft, or do a Thorens team, an idler wheel team, and a modern team. We could even do a "screw your neighbor" selection, but tables end up bashing heads if not careful in that event. :P

We could even set up a challenge race, where one inoperable but easy to fix table is given to a team of fools, and the harder table is pushed into service by the experts.  :duh:

Since I am a turntable idiot, I'll qualify for the fool's team. :o

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:03 am »
Maybe we could invite Mike Pranka. He could give us some tips on setup and might even sell a cartridge or two in the process. I think this would be fun.

daves

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2013, 08:57 pm »
I looked at the calender, and the two good dates look like Saturday, June 1 or Sunday, June 2 or June 9. Any preferences?
« Last Edit: 2 May 2013, 12:18 am by daves »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2013, 09:10 pm »
I'll not be able to make either of those dates.  Y'all have fun!

:banana piano:

Bryan

RaceTripper

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2013, 10:51 pm »
I looked at the calender, and the two good dates look like Sunday, June 1 or June 8. Any preferences?
June 1 is a Saturday, but if you mean Sunday, June 2 that's the St. Louis European Auto Show for the HiFi folks who are also car folks.

I might be interested in a turntable clinic. I just setup my turntable recently with a new tonearm.

RaceTripper

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2013, 10:58 pm »
There is an interesting free app for the iphone called iRPM. It uses your iphone to check rotational speed. Check it out.

Dr. Feickert also has a free iOS app called Plater Speed. That is what I use. It supports both 33 and 45 RPM. I use the Analog Productions test LP for the 3150 Hz tone.

jroger

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2013, 08:10 pm »
Dave, I vote for the Saturday, June 8th date. I also like the idea of inviting Mike Pranka. He might be able to demonstrate the Linn LP 12 setup jig & process. It would be great if the turntables could be setup in such a way as to switch from one to another during a playback of the same record. What other aspects of turntables are up for discussion? Roger

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2013, 11:10 pm »
I'm in - I'll bring my Denon DP-75 direct drive with the Mission Mechanic arm and a newly retipped Clearaudio Maestro, (Soundsmith).  Should sound good with those K-Horns !

Baumli

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2013, 09:26 am »
Dear Dave,
I'll try to attend, but I won't be bringing my main turntable which weighs over a hundred pounds, is in three chassis, and would require about two days to set up once I would get it there. Having Mike Pranka come would be great. He's the U.S. distributor for Dynavector, in case you don't know, and I use the DV-20X which I think is maybe the best value for the money in cartridges right now. As for that iPhone app for measuring rotational speed, I sure wish I'd had that back when I was in college. For a while I dated a girl named Rhonda, and I sure would have liked to measure her rotational speed. I couldn't keep up with it. (Nothing unchaste is here implied, you do realize.)

Best,

Francis Baumli

Batsong

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2013, 08:48 pm »
If you all would have me, this sounds great.  I would like to meet Mike Pranka in person as he was very helpful to me some years ago, and I'm looking to get another cart!  Had a lot of fun at the last couple of events!
-Gabe

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2013, 09:34 pm »
You'd have more luck getting Mikey Fremer to come...:(

daves

Re: A turntable clinic in June - Sunday, June 9th from 1 to 5 pm
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:03 am »
We have a green light for Sunday, June 9th, from 1 to 5 pm.

I just got a new vintage table that definitely needs a little love. It has a SME 3009 12" arm, and an oil bearing.

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2013, 02:29 pm »
I'll be there, if I don't have a job yet!

RaceTripper

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2013, 02:33 pm »
I might be able to attend, but don't know where to go.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2013, 07:49 pm by RaceTripper »