DK Haters aside, do you guys like Diana Kralls new one?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I realize there are those out there that just hate her no matter what, but this is directed at those who appreciate her music!  :P   So far, I really like the new one.  The collaberation with Costello really works, IMOHO.  Definately a lot different from The Look of Love (which was a bit or an aberation for her, anyway).  

I'd compare it favorably with her earlier albums, although it's lacks the humor and playfulness of some of those first discs.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:47 am »
I didn't know you were middle aged, Rob?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Michael

Captain Humble

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2004, 01:04 pm »
Rob,
I'll go on record as a Diana Krall fan.
I totally enjoy everthing she's done including her new one.
Got tickets to see her tomorrow tonight at Bass Hall. 8)

Quote Rob:
I realize there are those out there that just hate her no matter what
As an English Lit Prof once said to me, "Your inability to appreciate the finer things in life is your own loss, not mine." :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2004, 01:48 am »
I gotta say I like it.  You can definitely tell the EC influences once and awhile.

You say her earilier albums are playful and humorus.  I'll have to check them out.  Popsicle Toes....I don't get into toes, but the tune is "playful" and what the hell, if that's what it takes..... 8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2004, 03:13 am »
Okay, reading that comment not it does sound pretty gay.  :oops:   But I'd had half a dozen rum & sodas, so what do you expect?  :lol:   I was referring to songs like "Hit That Jive Jack", really silly bebopping songs.  Her voice is well suited to those songs & the music snaps a lot more.  Her earlier stuff isn't so "lounge music-y" as, say, "The Look of Love."

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2004, 12:19 pm »
I know exactly what you mean.  I like Popsicle Toes...the song, not so much the act.  Cute, funny, sexy, "fore"playful.
I will check out the earlier stuff.  I kind of jumped-in in the middle of her releases with DK.  Time to go backwards.

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2004, 07:31 pm »
I really like it. The material is well written and she's back to what she does best--play piano and sing with small group. I have all her CD's and my least favorite are the ones with the huge Ogerman string arrangements and the "soft focus" recording engineering. One of my favorites is her first, "Stepping Out" because it's fresh and unpretentious. "The Girl in the Other Room" gets back to this approach, and I for one, like it a lot.
steve k