OB Idea...Feedback?

Batsong

OB Idea...Feedback?
« on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:06 pm »
Hi.  Is there a chance that anyone finds this idea interesting?
A large open baffle/tractrix horn hybrid.
A 40" x 24" front loading tractrix waveguide with a 12" coaxial driver mounted in the throat.
The bass driver would be the dipole with some of its front diaphragm diverted back like Altec A7s or large Tannoys.
So basically this would look like a huge rectangular waveguide when viewed from the front with a coax in the center and an open back.
What do you think?

JohnR

Re: OB Idea...Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2013, 12:34 am »
Seems like an interesting idea, at least. There was a thread about something similar from BD design :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112246.0

4krow

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:02 am »
Wow! If it sounds like it looks, you couldn't lose! I only wish that I could hear such a beast. I also wish that I had some meaningful feedback to give you about this set up, but I am speechless.

Batsong

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2013, 06:41 pm »
Thank you for the replies.
The Orelo links are right where I am aiming.  WE or Altec style open baffles.  Something with efficiency and versatility.
A coax mounted close to ear level would be bass shy, so the need for augmentation from another driver or two is evident.  Also, efficiency would be a problem for smaller amps.
The Lowther might be the way to go(with or without the horn), but there are many ways to solve these problems.
One of the above links mentions the differentiation between the wave guide curves from that of a horn curve for the baffles, so there a lot of possibilities.
One question I have is whether to go with two waveguide panels or four.  With a four side conical arrangement, the woofer could still be mounted low and close to the floor, but complexity level goes up.
Thanks for that link!
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 09:04 pm by Batsong »

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2013, 07:18 pm »
If the tweeter of the coax uses the throat of the 12" woofer as a wave guide (like P Audio), I think there could be issues with the transition between the driver and the horn. Uncontrolled reflection in the horn might cause some coloration? It would be a nice project for someone smarter than me to computer model. 103db or better with 1 watt. That would be fun. :D

Batsong

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:47 pm »
You are probably right about deflections off the baffle when using a coax, and there are other reasons to explore other options.  One wouldn't need to obscure the drivers at all, or one could go to a full range driver with a smaller diaphragm.
Perhaps a Synergy type horn might work?