1.6 bass panel issue

michaelkingdom

1.6 bass panel issue
« on: 20 Apr 2013, 11:41 pm »
Hello all,

I have sold my 1.6s to a gentleman who lives across the country from my (FL to NV). I shipped the 1.6s is the factory packaging. Upon arrival the box was in good shape. When hooking them up, the buyer was not able to get sound from the bass panel of one of the speakers - the tweeter is functioning but the bass panel is not emitting sound.

Is this an issue that someone might be able to advise on? Any thoughts on if it is common damage? Possibly a set-up error?

I did insure them so I am hoping FedEx will step in if necessary.

Your thoughts are appreciated,
Michael

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: 1.6 bass panel issue
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2013, 01:35 am »

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2013, 02:04 am »
The bass panel should still work even with the jumpers removed.

This problem is either a bad connection in the crossover wiring and/or a broken wire on the transducer itself.

Cheers,

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2013, 02:13 am »
Now that you mention it, when I had jumper problems it cut out the highs.
Sorry.

michaelkingdom

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:55 pm »
Eek, well either way the buyer won't be thrilled. Let's see if FedEx steps up to the plate. They were shipped is the great condition factory boxes and insured for the sale price. I wonder if buying insurance will prove to be worth it!

berni

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2013, 04:11 pm »
Open the speaker(unscrew the terminal board) with the terminals, and see if maybe one of the cables is off.

josh358

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:11 am »
Agree with Berni, assuming the buyer agrees. You may have trouble making a successful claim if there's no shipping damage and in any case the claim is probably more work than fixing a loose wire. When my Tympani was damaged they came and took it back to the office to examine it. But I'd also call Fedex right away and get the claim started, they could also give you trouble if you delayed.

michaelkingdom

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2013, 08:19 pm »
It appears the damage to one speakers is in the bass panel itself. The wires around the top button have separated. They will be going to Magnepan to have one fixed, perhaps both to keep them identical. Magnepan told me this is the result of them being dropped. FedEx is reviewing the claim but I'm not overly optimistic. Anyway, I'll be in an odd position if FedEx does not honor the claim as I purchased insurance and shipped in fresh factory cartons. The buyer is asking for all his money back, including the shipping. I'm not entirely sure if I am responsible for everything or a partial refund.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2013, 08:36 pm »
Have the buyer keep all of the packing and boxes as they will likely want to inspect both the actual damage and the condition of the boxes.  Do not have the buyer ship to Magnepan until FedEx has reviewed them.  I would call FedEx to verify the status as this will allow you to further state your case.

They will deny the claim on the onset, this is their M.O. as they know most will accept the bad news and move on, don't!  Ask to have it escalated to a supervisor or even their legal department.  Your ace in the hole is the Carmack amendment (google it) and that Wendell/Magnepan have indicated that it happened in shipping.

I have literally shipped thousands of guitars and in the few times damage has occurred, I have always prevailed and you can to now that you know their game and that Carmack levels the playing field.  Carmack is Federal Law and trumps FedEx's arbitrary tariff's and also supersedes State law.

I hope this helps.

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2013, 08:38 pm »
Since Magnepan states that the speaker was dropped, it would seem to me that if you provided that information to Fed Ex in writing, they should cover it. 

Fed Ex dropped a Sony 7100 ES receiver I shipped a few years back, and after some back and forth, they did cover the repair.

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:32 pm »
I think Jim has an excellent handle on it. When I got my Fedex claim they refunded shipping costs. Usually I think the buyer accepts responsibility for return shipping, the seller for shipping to the buyer, but when I've sold stuff that didn't work out I've always covered the return freight. Maybe you can relist them and Magnepan can ship directly to the new buyer?

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:43 pm »
I think Jim has an excellent handle on it. When I got my Fedex claim they refunded shipping costs. Usually I think the buyer accepts responsibility for return shipping, the seller for shipping to the buyer, but when I've sold stuff that didn't work out I've always covered the return freight. Maybe you can relist them and Magnepan can ship directly to the new buyer?

Josh:

FedEx will pay the shipping if you go after it, even the shipping back and forth to Magnepan and back.  Know your rights, be firm, but courteous with FedEx, and escalate it to a supervisor or legal if need be....File a Small Claims action if you have to....guarantee you at this point, a check will appear in your mailbox.

Jim