Alpha LS Construction Pics?

dbarnet

« on: 9 Jul 2004, 01:12 am »
Hi :) ,

I’m Dave and new to this forum. After 15 years I’m building a new Audio System. Found Danny’s products on the internet. I own another house that is still under construction. This time I have a larger room for my equipment (14’ x 20’). I started looking at the Diluceo speakers but soon after some research I just have to have the Alpha LS. My biggest obstacle was my wife who didn’t want those big speakers in the family room. Well after making several drawings of how the room would look I got her OK.

:?: What I am looking for is some construction photos of the Alpha’s. I have found a few after doing a search but I know that there are more pic’s out there. I spotted one about three days ago, it showed the Alphas in clamps, being glued. I have be searching for the last two days for this pictgure, but to no avail. If some one could point me to the post I would greatly appreciate it.

The best to you, Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 02:28 am »
Two guys come to mind that posted pictures like that.

jonwb and azryan. Hey you two, where did you post those pics?

Do a search for their posts on this forum and you'll find those pics.

dbarnet

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2004, 11:41 pm »
Thanks Danny

azryan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2004, 10:12 pm »
My pics were on my web page but I think I took ‘em down.
I haven’t messed with my web page in a while. The pics are on my old comp. and I need an FTP program for my new compter.

Did you have any question about the build or just wanted to see some pics for fun?

The PDF file Danny gives you with the Alpha kit is pretty clear and easy to see all the rectangles you’ll have to cut. There’s a lot of ‘em, but it only took one day to cut all of them out with some clamps, straight edge and circ. saw.

The one thing I drew up myself is a ‘cut plan’ which is how to cut up the MDF wasting the least -if you needed that I could dig it up if you buy the kit.

Four ~$20 sheets of MDF for the actual 1.5" walled and braced cabinets and a fifth sheet for the really thick/large bases (which I always suggest people consider making smaller than the plans say).

dbarnet

Alpha LS
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2004, 03:50 am »
Azryan,

Thank you for your reply. I found a cut list on the forum. I plan to construuct the Alpha LS this December when I move into my new house. From what I have read, this looks to be a real nice speaker. I plan to drive the speakers with Cary Monoblocks. I'm a little concerned about the amps ability to drive the lower end, But as I move forward I will examine this more closely.

Danny is suppose to be talking to a company that makes the front baffle on a CNC machiene. I will buy these as soon as they are ready. Any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciate.

azryan

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2004, 08:42 am »
Can't think of any suggestions 'cuz you seem well on track right now.

I'd just re-add that you might make the base plate smaller. You'd have to TRY to tip them over even on plush carpet without any base at all.

If probs or potential probs creep up, feel free to post and people will try to help I'm sure.

Getting the face precut will make things real easy I think. Certainly that section of the speaker is where the most time is taken and the most flaws could pop up so cool to see that option for others.

Right angles, clamps, glue, some solder and be real careful playing 'connect the dots' when you wire things and you'll be set.

Good luck.

Couldn't say about the bass control with those amps, but Danny uses tube amps himself, and the Alphas take little power to hammer (if you want 'em too). (those Cary amps are tubes right?).
One Watt on these is already Loud so the power should be there for you on most amps. Really frees you to tailor the sound you want with your front end letting whatever you have shine right through.

dbarnet

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2004, 12:10 am »
Azryan,

The Cary Amps are Tube and can be run in either Triode or Ultra Linier mode. I think that Danny is using Dodd Single Ended Triode Amps (SET). I don’t know very much about them but the price is right and look well made. The Alpha LS (‘s) are the first speakers that I will own that are a true line source design and they are super efficient. What are you using to drive these awesome towers?

The best to you, Dave

I am just waiting for my house to be built and then the fun starts. In the mean time I'm just saving my $$. and finding the right component mix.

azryan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2004, 08:37 pm »
Someone told me they had some of my pics and could send them to you. Did they ever do that? I still didn't get my FTP sorted out to repost them.

I'm using the Bolder Cable modded Pannie XR45 Rec.
It's a pure digital path using the Equipbit chips from Tex. In. that have been used in TacT Audio's dig. amps for the past decade.

I really love the sound of tubed gear but I've decided I'm a digital guy and have owned older Tripath based amps -tight bass, fast, detailed but grainy nothing too impressive.

ICE power based eARTwo -outstanding it every way sound-wise. Loved it but goofy case shape, Neutrik connectors, and apparently prone to short (which I'd heard other ones did and mine did a week after I sold it).

and tried Sony's S-Master pure digital Rec and found they have big problems with super high noise floor and stabbing random highs so it went back.
It might sound weird but other that that... that Sony sounded really good!

Made like crap too for the price but if they ever get their act together I might look into 'em again.

The Pannie looks like a slimline DVD player. It looks like a joke to put it simply, but ZERO noise, and I think pretty much at the least sounds as good as the eARTwo but has the benefit of being a whole HT rec. too.

I'd like to see Pannie make there better quality too but it was FAR cheaper than the Sony so even though the Bolder mods were FAR higher than the actual Pannie.... the total came out to be a great deal IMO.

I can bi amp the Alphas with it if I want too but I don't find the need to. -20db is one Watt on the unit and I listen to music pretty dang LOUD between -35-25 and watch movies at ~-15 which judging by ear is easily as loud as a movie theater.

LOTS of headroom to use about any amp with these speakers it seems.

wshuff

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2004, 09:35 pm »
I'm the guy that may have the pics.  I seem to recall saving them when they were first posted.  I think I also have pics of that cabinet that had to be destroyed.  I'll have to dig through some files and see if I can find them, and if I do then I'll send them along to you.

dbarnet

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2004, 09:53 pm »
Azryan,

Thanks a bunch for the information. Yes I would like to get the pictures if it is at all possible. After reading your reply I am sure that I will be able to do the system that I want and that it will run fine with the Alpha LS.

The best to you,

Dave
 :D

azryan

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2004, 10:41 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
-I think I also have pics of that cabinet that had to be destroyed.

Just in case that mixes anybody up.... that one was jonwb's first cabinet he had made by someone who totally botched the plans.

He seemed to be almost done recently but maybe hasn't been around 'cuz he's working on it?

Mine came off without a hitch building it myself in my car hole (the pics of mine wshuff has).

No offence, but I just didn't want anyone to think I botched my cabinets.

wshuff

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:18 am »
Yep, sorry for the confusion.  I have (I think) Azryan's pics and JonB's pics where he took a chain saw to the botched cabinets.  So, think of it as do's and don'ts.  

I'll see if I can dig them up.

dbarnet

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2004, 04:33 pm »
Wshuff,

Thanks for your assistance.

The Best to you,

Dave

wshuff

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2004, 02:51 pm »
Dave,

I've been searching through old files and I can't find any of the construction pics.  I know I saved at least one because there was what I think was an Alex Ross-type painting of Wolverine in the background, but I can't find it, or any others.  I've found several pictures of finished cabinets.  I'll keep looking because I've changed hard drives a few times and may have something in a backup file or archive somewhere, but right now it doesn't look very promising.  

Sorry.

azryan

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2004, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
-I know I saved at least one because there was what I think was an Alex Ross-type painting of Wolverine in the background,-

You must not a' got a good look at it or you'd never guess it was Alex Ross. hehe

It's by Kent Williams who co-painted a Havok/Wolverine-Meltdown Graphic Novel in the mid 80's. Williams did the Wolverine sections and it's very chaotic/messy and not terribly realistic at all like Ross is.

I've got 2 or 4 issues and can't find the other ones but I think you can buy all 4 bound as a book.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread topic, but I figure it's not too bad.

GaryW

« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:31 pm »
I found a few pictures from afar. This is before the sound dampening and front and rear baffles...

GaryW

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:32 pm »
Next one's better exposed and shows the back of the left speaker.

GaryW

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:33 pm »
Last one

dbarnet

« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: GaryW
Last one

Gary,

Thank you for posting the pictures. I have a good idea now as to what the construction will be like.

The best to you,

Dave

Charles Calkins

« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2004, 05:39 pm »
Sure are big suckers aren't they! Seems that most of the top rated speakers are on the big size. This causes some problems for homeowners as to where to place them. I wonder what size room these would require?

Cheers
         Charlie