Recommendations for a Step Down Transformer for 240V to 115

bluesky

Dear Aussie Audiphiles

I am soon to get a second hand bit of audio gear from the States and I will therefore need a step down transformer to convert our 240V to the 115V needed for it to operate correctly.

Does anyone have any experiences with this and have any recommendations for a step down transformer?

My Aksonics are finally finished and working well.  They were quite bright are harsh for the first couple of hours but are running in nicely.  I do need to set them up fully and experiment to enhance the bass which is a bit light as they are at the moment.  Hugh has recommended raising the rear panel about 5 or 6mm and I will give this a go today.

Cheers

Bluesky

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2004, 05:01 pm »
lotsa things like this are awailable on ebay; they work well.  yust get one that's rated above the wattage of the equipment yure using.  find 'em local; they can get heavy.  i have a coupla 2kva units; they weigh ~13kg...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=294&item=5709016695&rd=1

doug s.

bluesky

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:02 pm »
Thanks Doug

I'll have a look.

Ian

Lost81

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2004, 11:10 pm »
Another (better, IMHO) method to go about it would be to find out what transformer is in there, and get a replacement that suits your grid's voltage, and the wattage of the equipment.

That way, there won't ever be any accidents.

A friend of mine in Singapore lost his pre-amplifier that way.
He was having a party at his place.
A guest wondered into his music room, saw the unplugged pre-amplifier sitting on a shelf, and decided to plug it into the wall to satisfy his curiosity.

Well, that pre-amplifier was wired up for 110-115V US voltage.
(Singapore's electrical mains are usually 220-240V).

*sizzle*

bad guest  :evil:
bad guest  :nono:

-Lost81

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2004, 12:55 am »
lost81, it maybe safer, but if yure careful, i tink the sonics will be better w/the step-up.  it's like having an isolation transformer, which is really what it is, yust different taps for the different woltages...

doug s.

bluesky

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2004, 01:12 am »
Hi Guys

You both have quite valid points on this.  I would however, have it set up with the trafo plugged in permanently.  I have a cunning and evil plan (as they say in the movies) to have the back of my audio stand have a wooden channel, for want a better word, in which all the power cables,  mains filter and power board will reside.  I have pets and kids who are both curious and I wish to shield all the bitey bits as effectively as I can.

The idea of the step down trafo as an isloation device is a welcome bit of news. I had concerns that it would somehow degrade the sound but this is not the case.

Cheers

Ian

Mondie

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2004, 10:28 am »
My first preference would be to have the transformer in the unit replaced.

l am not sure if the external transformer will degrade the sound or not, but l certainly wouldnt expect it to improve things. There is also the issue of 50 vs 60 hz, probably not a concern unless you are dealing with a power amo where stauration of the amps transformer could be a concern.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 11:34 am »
The unit is presumably not a power amp so I doubt that replacing the transformer would be cost-effective. Try Harbuch in Hornsby (Sydney), when I called them a few months ago their autotransformers seemed very cost-effective. Or just get a self-contained stepdown unit from Jaycar or DSE, I use one on my transport and, well, you know, it works fine...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2004, 10:55 pm »
mondie, if ya haven't tried isolation transformers on yer gear, ya may wanna check 'em out - i have gotten improvements in detail & lowered noisefloor by using them.  perhaps this is a 120v thing, & not much benefit w/220v?

re: amps, many amps are rated 50/60 hz; if this is the case, then an outboard step-up/step-down transformer is fine for amps.  i used one to good effect on my 220v revox b251 integrated amp, which is quite powerful, & is rated @ 650w draw.  i wish it had true preamp outs/main inputs, instead of just a signal processor loop, or i wouldn't be trying to sell it...

doug s.

bluesky

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2004, 11:17 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.  I am getting a second hand CD player and I will look closely at the trafo inside it.  Many bits of audio gear are set up to cover both voltage systems, so I look at it first then decide what to do.  

Cost effectiveness is also an issue, so I will look at what both options will cost.   However, not being knowledgeable about trafos at all I also wonder about the quality issue.  The cheap Chinese made one from Jaycar/DSE  (well Ratshack actually) or something more upmarket from Harbuch's?   :?

Ahhhhhhhhhh, decisions, decisions and I think we all know how agonising this process is for audio gear.  Compared to my other shopping excursions where I do the usual "bloke thing'........... in and out as fast as I can.  :lol:    

Ian

bluesky

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2004, 07:37 am »
Hi John

I just had a gander at your sytem, very impressed indeed.

I have to ask though, how did the music change when you installed the second Aksa 55.  I assume it was for the better?

Please let us know if you think it was an worthwhile improvement.  Especially in the areas of imaging, detail and er.... headroom and speed I guess are the words I am looking for.

Cheers

Ian

bluesky

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2004, 09:49 am »
Well I have just got the CD player and a "Steed" step down tansformer from Jaycar which assured me that it was free from noise but..............when I connected it up produced the worst hum I have ever heard!

I tried the CDP just to make sure it worked, which it did , but.......it sounded extemely bright and as if it was running too fast!

Any advice would be extremely helpful in this case.

Cheers

Ian

Lost81

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2004, 10:36 am »
Quote from: bluesky
Well I have just got the CD player and a "Steed" step down tansformer from Jaycar which assured me that it was free from noise but..............when I connected it up produced the worst hum I have ever heard!

I tried the CDP just to make sure it worked, which it did , but.......it sounded extemely bright and as if it was running too fast!

Any advice would be extremely helpful in this case.

Cheers

Ian

I bought an isolation, medical grade, transformer for my transport and/or DAC and it hummed too. Drove me nuts. The 30lb monster has been sitting unused ever since. :evil:

-Lost81

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2004, 12:01 pm »
the only transformer i have that hums loud enuff to be heard when not right next to it, is a 2kva monster that i picked up for ~5c on the dollar...  but, even it has quieted down noticably, yust by being left on all the time.   if you bought one that was guaranteed to be quiet, but isn't, i'd return it if it doesn't quiet down after a couple days.  also, if it's the type that holds the core together w/four thru-bolts at the corners, sometimes these may be loose; tightening them can quiet things down.

re: sounding bright, i have never experienced this; only reduction in noise floor, & added detail.  perhaps the woltage is off; may wanna check the output w/a woltage meter.   or, you may have yust gotten an inferior quality unit; again, this would warrant sending it back.

doug s.

bluesky

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2004, 10:26 pm »
Thanks, I really appreciate your advice.

I am rapidly coming to the opinion that I may have to get an internal  transformer to suit.  I may try Harbuch's in Sydney who are very well regarded by many on this forum.

This is rapidly blowing out the savings I have made by getting a second hand unit from the States, however I have still saved well over a $1,000AUD so I have plenty of room left for a good trafo, its just a hassle and I am impatient to use my new purchase! :D

Cheers

Ian