Two Important Questions About The Tempesta's

Slapshot

Two Important Questions About The Tempesta's
« on: 13 Apr 2013, 05:40 pm »
I have only recently come across Selah Audio and the Tempesta's, but what I've read has me very interested and curious. This prompts two important questions, are these speakers usable in a moderate nearfield environment? My room is, unfortunately compromised by size and availability. Listening distance is 5.5 feet, and the speakers must fit into an equidistant footprint 5 feet apart forming a triangle with the listing spot. The speakers I am currently using work well in the room, but the Tempesta's would appear to be at another entire level, and, clearly, more is better!

Secondly, I am using a Modwright KWA 100SE, an amplifier that I find to be outstanding. At 100wpc, will it drive the Tempesta's effectively?

I have been considering purchase of Harbeth M30's, or 30.1's, but would much prefer to spend my hard esrned dollars on an American product if the sound quality is equal or better.

JC

vortrex

Re: Two Important Questions About The Tempesta's
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2013, 06:36 pm »
I'm using 22w of tube power on mine with no issues.  I listen at moderate levels in a 19'x13'x9' space.  there is one member here that went from Harbeth to the Tempesta, maybe he will see this.  I think these are two different types of speakers so your taste will matter most.

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:11 pm »
are these speakers usable in a moderate nearfield environment? My room is, unfortunately compromised by size and availability. Listening distance is 5.5 feet, and the speakers must fit into an equidistant footprint 5 feet apart forming a triangle with the listing spot.

I'd be curious what Rick & the other Tempest owners say about the Near field aspect.

I just moved my SSR to these distances...and it seems a bit too close.
My Garnets (MTM-Accuton) was OK...but I couldn't move too much without
losing imaging either vertically or laterally.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:12 pm »
 dbl post

vanderstephen

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2013, 09:30 pm »
Slapshot,
I will say a qualified yes. My first listening session with Selah's was listening to Tempesta Extremes at another audiocircle member's house. Perhaps he will chime in, but it was close to that distance. It imaged extremely well and really managed to draw me into the music. That particular setup is what convinced me to quit my speaker search and have Rick design a set of speakers for me (a scaled down version). I think the owner of the speakers that I listened to has an Ayre integrated amp.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm »
My setup is not very different from the OP.  My distance between speakers is wider, but from ear to driver only a bit more.  I expect it should work well.

maxboy00

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm »
My main concern before I ordered Rick's Tempesta's was also placing them in a small room, in my case a 12" x 10" bedroom. After speaking to Rick he assured me that the Tempesta's would have no problems and would perform well  due to the way the speaker is tuned . . . I think he referred to it as a low Q?  My Tempesta's are rear ported and sit about 22" from the rear wall and are simply fantastic across a wide breath of music. I don't think you will have any issues . .

Also my speakers are being driven by a Modwright KWI-200,  with no problems, your KWA 100 SE should have similar outcome with these speakers.

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm »
In my 16x20 room my best listening distance turns out to be about 7'- pretty near field. Closer than that also works very well. Listening near field reduces the effects of the room. They should work as well in that role as any near full ranger- and as you may move in the future, the Tempestas w/ or w/o a sub can handle a lot of room sizes well.
Your amp should be superb with them.

Slapshot

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks very much to everyone for their comments and perspective. I was hoping Rick would chime in too, as a final voice on the matter, but perhaps he feels everything has been covered already?

JC

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm »
Thanks very much to everyone for their comments and perspective. I was hoping Rick would chime in too, as a final voice on the matter, but perhaps he feels everything has been covered already?

JC

Sorry for my late reply but I thought it would be best to hear from the Tempesta owners first. I think you would find the sound to be excellent within your system and listening position. At the recent Axpona show the front row / center chair was about the same distance and I really enjoyed listening in that spot. Send me a PM or email and I can put you in touch with my SW Michigan customer.

krustykat

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:44 pm »
I'm the tempesta xtreme owner Vanderstephen referenced.  My listening setup is about 5 feet away with speakers about as far apart.  The roomsize is 10' x 12'  The speakers are about 3 feet from the back wall.  I had an Ayre ax7e (60 watts into 8 ohms) which was plenty of power.  Recently I upgraded to a Pass Labs XA30.5 which also has more than enough power.  With my current setup, the soundstage fills the room, both left to right and rear to front.  With your eyes shut you can't tell where the speakers are.  I'm very happy with the current configuration and how it's performing. 

Slapshot

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2013, 04:21 am »
My main concern before I ordered Rick's Tempesta's was also placing them in a small room, in my case a 12" x 10" bedroom. After speaking to Rick he assured me that the Tempesta's would have no problems and would perform well  due to the way the speaker is tuned . . . I think he referred to it as a low Q?  My Tempesta's are rear ported and sit about 22" from the rear wall and are simply fantastic across a wide breath of music. I don't think you will have any issues . .

Also my speakers are being driven by a Modwright KWI-200,  with no problems, your KWA 100 SE should have similar outcome with these speakers.

Thanks for helping out providing information about a similar room and Modwright amplification. Didnt realize until now that the Tempesta's are rated at 5/4 ohms. Since my 100 SE is rated at 200wpc into 4 ohms, no worrries now, even in a larger room!

JC