VPI JMW 9 setup - arm lift not positioned correctly.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Hmmmm - some months back I knocked my tonearm setup awry on my VPI SSM with the JMW 9 Memeorial arm. The counter weight shifted and the arm is no longer dialed in, I think I whacked it while lifting of the Gingko dustcover.

Anyway, while resetting the counter weight I find the crescent shaped 'platform' the raises and lowers the arm is no longer under the black 'nub' projecting from bottom of the arm tube. The platform rises up when the queueing arm is moved back, it contacts the nub which in turn raises the tonearm. Moving the queueing arm forward lowers the platform, which lowers the arm.

Right now the platform rises and just misses the nub, so nothing happens.

I've tried gently applying pressure to the platform to force it back under the nub - but no joy.

Can anyone outline how to correct this alignment?

Also, any recommendations for someone in the mid-Atlantic who has proven to be good with VPI tonearm setup?

Thanks.

Gene

Scottdazzle

Re: VPI JMW 9 setup - arm lift not positioned correctly.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:48 am »
Gene, I think I can help you. I would need to have the table and arm to do this. I wouldn't want to try to fix this via the written word. Send me a pm and we can set something up. Scott

J-Pak

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:11 am »
There should be a screw underneath the cueing mechanism platform (the crescent shaped piece you refer to). It can be awkward to reach given how little room there is between that screw and the plinth. But loosening that screw will allow you to move that piece forward and backward. That's how it was on my Scout. Not sure if there is a difference between the JMW-9 and JMW-9 Memorial.

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:22 am »
that's how it is on the Memorial too, a small Phillips screw.

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:11 pm »
The small screw in the middle?

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:38 pm »
I'm going on memory, but isn't this the screw here?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:31 pm »
I'm going on memory, but isn't this the screw here?

Next to the cueing lever on the side of the platform is what looks like an allen fitting.  Normally, that would be used to adjust the height of the cueing cylinder which could also be rotated when that fitting is loose.  At least that's how it works on most arms.
neo

etcarroll

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:13 pm »
Thanks men, it seems I have bigger issues as my entire arm is too low, so that with the cue lever engaged the stylus tip is a half inch below the level of the record. Not good.

I just ordered the Fremer setup dvd as one of the tables he addresses is a VPI Scout, so that will apply to my situation as well.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2013, 11:52 am »

Look at the side of that same platform that has the cuing height adjustment fitting.  There are 3 fittings there. The front one looks like it's for adjustment of the arm rest.  The middle one is for cuing cylinder adjustment.  The one in the rear is to secure the platform to the arm pillar (the vertical piece that goes through the armboard).  There probably is at least one other fitting that secures the platform to the pillar, look around the back and opposite side of the platform.  Loosen those fittings and the entire platform should be free to adjust the height.
neo

etcarroll

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm »
Thanks Neo, I think you're spot on.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2015, 05:38 pm »
Gene, if you still need help, send me a pm. I can probably sort this out for you.