Ahhhh, The Masters

carusoracer

Re: Ahhhh, The Masters
« Reply #60 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
Fun times watching the Masters. I only watch that tournament on TV. 

Great courses to walk and watch, really up close and personal are the TPC Sawgrass and the hometown Memorial Tournament. Players have a great respect for Nicholas. I've seen some great golfers over the years. Best day to really be up close and following the big players IMHO, is Thursday.

geezer

« Reply #61 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:58 am »
I'm glad Woods didn't win. If he had, I'd be wondering what the runner-up was thinking about the DQ question.

medium jim

« Reply #62 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »
I'm glad Woods didn't win. If he had, I'd be wondering what the runner-up was thinking about the DQ question.

I disagree, they would have thought they were fairly beaten by a guy who incurred a two shot penalty.  It is legal to go back as far as one wants in a direct path from the angle of where the ball entered the hazard.  It could be argued that Tiger did exactly that.

If it was any other player, we wouldn't be talking about it. 

Jim

vinyl_lady

« Reply #63 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:47 am »
It is legal to go back as far as one wants in a direct path from the angle of where the ball entered the hazard.  It could be argued that Tiger did exactly that.
Jim

That cannot be seriously argued in this case because that option requires the golfer to keep the point where it entered the hazzard between the golfer and the hole. Tiger did not choose that option because it would have given him a bad angle to the pin. Instead he chose the option to replay the shot from as near as possible to where the original shot was played. Two yards back is not as near as possible to where the original shot was played. The two stroke penalty was proper under rule 26 and under the revised rule 33, the rules committee had the right to waive disqualification for signing an incorrect scorecard. I just hope the committee would have made the same decision no matter who was involved.

medium jim

« Reply #64 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:21 am »
That cannot be seriously argued in this case because that option requires the golfer to keep the point where it entered the hazzard between the golfer and the hole. Tiger did not choose that option because it would have given him a bad angle to the pin. Instead he chose the option to replay the shot from as near as possible to where the original shot was played. Two yards back is not as near as possible to where the original shot was played. The two stroke penalty was proper under rule 26 and under the revised rule 33, the rules committee had the right to waive disqualification for signing an incorrect scorecard. I just hope the committee would have made the same decision no matter who was involved.

The rules committee initially ruled that the drop was legal.  It was only after Tiger honestly noted that he dropped 2 yards back that it came into question.  It sounds like Orwell's 1984 and Tiger was penalized for thought crimes.  He thought that by dropping the ball two yards back would be beneficial as he could hit the same shot he did before....he still had to hit the shot. 

How could what was ruled a legal drop become a rule violation...are you partially married, pregnant...if it was within the rules as it was initially ruled, it doesn't matter what Tiger's reasoning was for dropping it where he did. 

He was man enough not to contest it and sucked it up and played on.  I have no doubt that it affected his play and most likely would have won sans the incident.  This is not to take away from Adam Scott who played his ass off and deserved his Green Jacket, even though I was rooting for Cabrera.

It was totally wrong for Nick Faldo to say that Tiger should have DQ'd himself when Tiger played within the rules....I would feel the same no matter who the player was.

Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #65 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:54 am »
The rules committee initially ruled that the drop was legal.  It was only after Tiger honestly noted that he dropped 2 yards back that it came into question.  It sounds like Orwell's 1984 and Tiger was penalized for thought crimes.  He thought that by dropping the ball two yards back would be beneficial as he could hit the same shot he did before....he still had to hit the shot. 

How could what was ruled a legal drop become a rule violation...are you partially married, pregnant...if it was within the rules as it was initially ruled, it doesn't matter what Tiger's reasoning was for dropping it where he did. 

He was man enough not to contest it and sucked it up and played on.  I have no doubt that it affected his play and most likely would have won sans the incident.  This is not to take away from Adam Scott who played his ass off and deserved his Green Jacket, even though I was rooting for Cabrera.

It was totally wrong for Nick Faldo to say that Tiger should have DQ'd himself when Tiger played within the rules....I would feel the same no matter who the player was.

Jim
Tiger lost by 4 points not 2. It's purely speculation on your part that Tiger would've gone ahead and won. If it affected his play... well that's part of the game. Lot's of incidents can affect one's play. He had his chances on the last day and he didn't hit the shots when it counted. You're demeaning Adam Scott's performance. He was clutch and hit the big shots when it mattered. Don't just give him a left handed compliment. Tiger isn't as good as he used to be. There's a number of young players now who are getting better and Tiger will no longer dominate like he did in the past.

medium jim

« Reply #66 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:00 am »
Tiger lost by 4 points not 2. It's purely speculation on your part that Tiger would've gone ahead and won. If it affected his play... well that's part of the game. Lot's of incidents can affect one's play. He had his chances on the last day and he didn't hit the shots when it counted. You're demeaning Adam Scott's performance. He was clutch and hit the big shots when it mattered. Don't just give him a left handed compliment. Tiger isn't as good as he used to be. There's a number of young players now who are getting better and Tiger will no longer dominate like he did in the past.

You are entitled to your opinion and in no way did I demean Adam Scott.   Oh BTW, Tiger is the #1 rated Golfer in the World for a reason....

Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #67 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:23 am »
Isn't it true that Tiger has never won a major unless he was leading into the final day?

medium jim

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:36 am »
Isn't it true that Tiger has never won a major unless he was leading into the final day?

No, but there is always the first time :thumb: Makes it more amazing that he has won 14 majors and is only 2nd to the Golden Bear! 

Jim

mcgsxr

« Reply #69 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:54 am »
It was a great final stretch of holes that led to the playoff.

Adam missed about 4 putts through his round by inches, else he would have won by a lot.  Angel dumping his approach shot into the creek on the Par 5 also had a huge effect on his score.

Angel's approach shot on 18 after Adam birdied it was just fantastic.

I enjoyed the final round, even though I wanted Jason Day to win.

Congrats to the Aussies on getting their Masters.

jackman

« Reply #70 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm »
What a finish!  I didn't have a favorite between Cabrera and Scott, I like both golfers.  In these situations my only wish is that the winner doesn't win because the other guy hits a bad shot.  I want to see someone take it by hitting great shots.  Yesterday's finish was a great example of one guy hitting a great shot and the other following it up with an equal or better shot to win.  That putt Scott made to win it was awesome.  He earned it.

I watched Scott a few years ago on the practice range at Bayhill.  He didn't do well but was a monster on the range.  My golf enthusiast friend pointed him out to me and said he was a talented young guy.  We had a chance to speak with Darren Clarke and watch him practice chipping in the rain while smoking a huge cigar. At one point he hit about 7 or 8 chips in a row from pretty far away.  He filled the practice hole and was laughing and talking to his caddie and the crowd the whole time.  Good guy!

I've never been to the Masters but have been to several PGA matches and tournaments thriugh the years.  Seeing pro golf in person is a blast.  Most people have no idea how great these guys are, even on the practice green and range.  I watched Tiger and Fred couples on the range one time and when they pulled out the drivers, the sound of the club cutting through the air and impacting the ball was unlike anything I had heard before.   

Also, most pro golfers are pretty cool and will sign your hat or say hi on the range or in a practice round.  Phil is one if the nicest guys (and one of the most liked pros).  I've only seen one guy act like a complete dick, refusing to sign anything or even acknowledge a fan, John Dailey.  Ive seen that guy snub little kids and adoring fans several times.  It's funny because at the time, he had a reputation as a regular guy, a man of the people.  That could not have been further from the truth.  He was a chain smoking fat-ass punk. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #71 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:55 pm »

Jim

Well, at least there's two of us who understand this.  However he played mediocre in the last round and wouldn't have won all things being equal.  In fact he's been in contention and played only fairly good several times in the last few years at Augusta and other Majors.  Just doesn't have that charge anymore.

medium jim

« Reply #72 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:01 pm »
Well, at least there's two of us who understand this.  However he played mediocre in the last round and wouldn't have won all things being equal.  In fact he's been in contention and played only fairly good several times in the last few years at Augusta and other Majors.  Just doesn't have that charge anymore.

I have no doubt that the two stroke penalty affected his play, but it is what it is....Tiger is back and will win many more Majors.   He is the best of my lifetime. 

Jim

BobM

« Reply #73 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:15 pm »
What I found very interesting was how the rain affected everyone's play. They came up short on so many approach shots and putts and chips. The pro's just coudn't get their head around slower greens. I bet they'd have problems adjusting to the slow play and slow greens on my home course as well  :icon_lol: just like I have issues playing on fast greens and can;t hold them.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #74 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:46 am »
Tiger is back and will win many more Majors.   He is the best of my lifetime. 

Jim

Being a bit older I have that Nicholas fellow still in my memory.  Lucky to have at least two of the finest golfers to have every played listed in my experiences.  But Jack I only appreciated later in his career, my guy was Arnold Palmer and Jack was that fat kid who kept stealing Palmer's wins.  Palmer never had Jack's ability to adapt his swing to the changing game and his changing body, and never equaled Jack's success, but man he was sumpin' to see when he put on a charge.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #75 on: 16 Apr 2013, 06:43 am »
Being a bit older I have that Nicholas fellow still in my memory.  Lucky to have at least two of the finest golfers to have every played listed in my experiences.  But Jack I only appreciated later in his career, my guy was Arnold Palmer and Jack was that fat kid who kept stealing Palmer's wins.  Palmer never had Jack's ability to adapt his swing to the changing game and his changing body, and never equaled Jack's success, but man he was sumpin' to see when he put on a charge.

I was fortunate to see Arnie in 1960 at Cherry Hills. I was 12 and my parents took me to the U.S. Open. The club put a plaque on #1 commemorating Arnie driving the green and starting his famous charge to overtake Ben Hogan and some fat amateur out of Ohio named Jack to win the tournament. I had not held a golf club before that day, but that tournament made me a fan and gave me a desire to play. Yes indeed, Arnie was sumpin' when he put on a charge and did the gallery love him--Arnie's Army! Palmer did so much good for the game.

I also agree with you about appreciating Jack later in his career.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #76 on: 17 Apr 2013, 12:07 am »
I was fortunate to see Arnie in 1960 at Cherry Hills.

Of all the great moments in his career, that was the best day and the defining moment for him.  You were one very lucky young lady.  That day Hogan stepped down as the reigning King of the golfing world and Arnold took the crown, and Jack Nicklaus was introduced to the golfing public.

Funny, Tiger has never come from behind to win a major, and Arnold's trademark was the come from behind charge, yet in actuality, the 1960 Open was the only major he won by coming from behind at the 54 hole mark.   

Hit 'em straight and let 'em roll.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #77 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:07 am »
Of all the great moments in his career, that was the best day and the defining moment for him.  You were one very lucky young lady.  That day Hogan stepped down as the reigning King of the golfing world and Arnold took the crown, and Jack Nicklaus was introduced to the golfing public.

Funny, Tiger has never come from behind to win a major, and Arnold's trademark was the come from behind charge, yet in actuality, the 1960 Open was the only major he won by coming from behind at the 54 hole mark.   

Hit 'em straight and let 'em roll.

I was very lucky indeed. My parent's were Palmer fans and didn't like Jack, at least didn't want Jack to win. The Open was a 3-day tournament back then with 36 holes on the last day. I remember Hogan hit it into the moat around the 17th green and took off his shoes and socks and hit the ball in the shallow stream. That probably cost him the tournament. It was a great introduction to a great game. I was smitten by the little white ball that day.

Best wishes for many birdies.

jackman

« Reply #78 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:07 am »
While it is true Tiger has never come from behind in a major, until 2009, he never lost going into Sunday with the lead or share of the lead.  He was never a great chaser (except for Ho's) but he was the best closer to ever play. 

He's battled some major personal demons and serious injuries and looks pretty good. His swing is getting more consistent and I expect him to win more Majors in the near future.  In the end, I suspect he will go down in history as the greatest ever or at least top two if he doesn't break Jack's Major record.   Like him or hate him, he has done more to popularize the game in the modern era than anyone. 

Anyone who has ever been to a pro tournament can attest to his popularity.  He gallery following Woods is several times larger than any of the others.  It's really something to see.  I think it gives him an advantage because many golfers are uncomfortable performing under that spotlight.  Woods is used to it. 

Great Masters this year.   I was happy seeing the young Aussie win his fits green jacket and the first for Australia.  He also thanked Norman afterwards which I thought was classy.

Cheers

Jack

BobM

« Reply #79 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:22 pm »
I was happy seeing the young Aussie win his fits green jacket and the first for Australia.  He also thanked Norman afterwards which I thought was classy.

Yeah, but I was really hoping and thinking it was going to be the other Aussie  8)