Ahhhh, The Masters

medium jim

Re: Ahhhh, The Masters
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2013, 04:49 pm »
The bottom line is that Tiger Woods didn't break a rule that resulted in a disqualification and to judge him is just plain wrong.  Should have he disqualified himself voluntarily?  I don't think so, as the rule committee initially ruled that there was no rule infraction.  The two stroke penalty could have been appealed and there would be a good chance that Tiger would have won on appeal. 

The two shot penalty was a safe face one and Tiger was the victim. I'm sure this will stir the pot but so be it.  I hope Tiger wins!

Jim

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:29 pm »
Just a couple of technical points.  Masters tickets have been nearly impossible to obtain, both because of the exclusivity and because if the people you sell them to make any public gaffs the tickets are pulled, forever.  That guy yelling "Redonkulous" on every tee shot will not likely be there today, nor ever again.  Tickets haven't been available to the public since 1972 when a waiting list was opened, to be closed in 1978.  Again opened in 2000 it's closed now, no tickets were available during the later period, just the list. 

But there's been a very small change.  Every year a small number of tickets are turned in to Augusta National because of the death of ticket holders or other reasons.  Previously they were just cancelled by the Masters, but now there is a lottery every year to award those tickets, sold at face value.  There's no set number of tickets and the Masters won't reveal how many are available, but each and every one of us has the opportunity to win the lottery and get our tickets punched at Augusta National, see ya there.

To give you a small idea of what it costs to purchase a ticket today in the open market, in a Corporate package online, just the van or SUV rental for one day back and forth is $5,000.  (You used to be able to park in a big lot behind hole #5 at Gate 9, but now there's a shopping mall there and you have to park way up off Berckmans Road near Washington Road)  However when you do get there there's a huge surprize when you get to the concession stands, sandwiches are $1.50 - $3, sodas are $1.50, and beer is $3.  And you said they're gouging you, shame on you son.

Slow play.  Professionals are put on the clock all the time, but they know how to circumvent the rules.  They send their caddies up to the ball and get the yardage and wind calculated, pick the club, only then does the pro walk up to the ball, from when he has 50 seconds or something like that to play.  The kid obviously doesn't know these thing and got caught.  He'll know next time.

69, maybe 68, is about the best score one could hope for today.  Which means you'll need to be within 3 of the lead, and have the leaders stumble, or play to par, in order to win.  Which leaves us with only five players with a real chance at winning, the leaders Angel Cabrera and Brandt Snedeker, Adam Scott at -6, and Jason Day and Marc Leishman at -5.  You could throw in Matt Kuchar as a dark horse at -4.  All others would need some kind of miracle.

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:35 pm »
I hear that the Egg Salad Sandwiches are yummy!

Jim

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:38 pm »
Letitroll98, nice post.  I've been there often for practice rounds.

Mark

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2013, 06:07 pm »
What's it like watching golf in person?  I've watched a minor amount of golf on TV, for instance while getting dinner ready, but it's worse than watching baseball for me (which is really, really bad).  I can't imagine paying to see golf, but there must be some reason people flock to see it. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:15 pm »
IMO this is the most screwed up Masters I've seen:

Why/how did a 14 year old from China get in?  (To sell ads and make the "grown-ups" look more pathetic.)

Slow play (like Fredie implied, why start enforcing after 76 years)?  Again to turn it into a soap opera that can sell more ads.

How can Tiger and his caddie not know the rules???  (I wondered about the drop as soon as he made it.)  Obviously giving him a DQ would have cut into profits while relieving him of the on course stress (and a source for our entertainment as we watch him struggle).

Crazy expensive tickets (most expensive in all of sports) to be in the gallery (turns it into even more of an elitist exercise to watch this sadistic mental event than a game to enjoy).  The real "Masters" are the people in charge and those making money from it, not the players.  The whole thing has taken golf to an excessive degree of demented insanity (just a "civilized" version of the Roman "games" played in the Coliseum with the players being the slaves).

The whole thing stinks of a profit motivated plot.

Yes, I agree. It's relevant here that if you believe Woods was treated exceptionally, it makes you a 'hater' o a 'stupid little person'.  I don't understand that defensive attitude about a bogus action by a major player that knows better. You compare Wood's penalty for a serious infraction to the Chinese kids' penalty, on very shaky historic grounds, it doesn't add up. That makes me a stupid little hater.  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:25 pm »
Disagree , golf is fantastic tv watching. I can watch all day.
I'll take the last two hours of the Masters over a typical Superbowl.
There was 3 d offered a few years ago, didn't work for me.
I think that would be awesome though!!! :icon_lol:

medium jim

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:47 pm »
Going to be Cabrera...unless Tiger gets his head out of the sand and wakes up.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm »
Well, the 2 stroke penalty may have been enough to cost Tiger his 5th Green Jacket...Jason Day is showing plenty of grit and appears to be the winner with 4 holes to go.

Jim

stlrman

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm »
This is awesome!! 6 footer to tie on the 18!!! Cab does it!!
Playoff!! :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm »
And Scott hit like a25 footer for birdie on the 18th. So Cab needed a birdie on the 18th and hit the most beautiful approach shot to maybe 4 feet.wow!! :thumb: :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:09 pm »
I have seen a couple of PGA rounds during the last couple of Canadian Opens.  I enjoyed seeing them hit the ball, and it was cool to see what goes on off camera.  Not sure I'd spend my money to go, but when work sends me, I go!

Interested to see the end of this playoff.

I hope Oz gets their first jacket, but C is playing very well too.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #52 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm »
What's it like watching golf in person? 

Between TV golf and live golf it's about the most different than any sport I can think of except maybe Formula One or ski racing.  Live, you get the up close, visceral experience of seeing some shots and putts up close, but most of what happens occurs out of eyesight.  I've stood next to players like Tiger, Phil, Vijay and others when they've hit drives, the tee box being the closest you actually get to players, then not seen them for another 15 or 16 holes.  Following players is an option, unless it's Tiger.  His entourage of TV people, cameraman, police, security and 5-10,000 fans makes it impossible to keep up.  But for me the best strategy is pick a high vantage spot where you can see one green or tee box very good, and still have binocular eyesight to several others.  TV of course you see everything in HD quality. 

medium jim

« Reply #53 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm »
This is pretty good shit, even if the announcers are for Scott...

Jim

rodge827

« Reply #54 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:45 pm »
A classic win by a class A guy! 8)

Congrats to Adam Scott 2013 Masters Champion!  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #55 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:23 am »
Ok, congrats to Scott, not my favorite golfer by a long shot, but he deserved it today by making two clutch putts when he needed to.  I should say I don't have anything against him, just that I couldn't stand to watch another interview with him.  And I hate his putter, he won't win any more majors if the stupid long putter gets banned. 

I was rooting for Jason Day to win, but he made two of the most boneheaded decisions I've seen in awhile.  Putting from beyond the fringe on 16?  In soaking wet conditions?  He choked and was afraid to chip.  Then going with a shorter iron on 17?  In the pouring rain?  That's when you take an extra club, not go down.  I'm saddened to say that he deserved to lose, I really like the kid, but today he didn't deserve the win.   

stlrman

« Reply #56 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:33 am »
Great victory for Scott!! How do you not like this kid?
Class act it seems.

jhm731

« Reply #57 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:39 am »
TV of course you see everything in HD quality.

That's why I stopped driving up to Kapalua to watch The Hyundai Tournament of Champions.

The Sony Open at Waialae Golf Course is a lot better course to walk and follow your favorite players.

geezer

« Reply #58 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:51 am »
I've watched golf on TV hundreds of times, and seen it in person once. TV is better.

decal

« Reply #59 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:24 am »
Great victory for Scott!! How do you not like this kid?
Class act it seems.

I like Scott. I can't stand his caddy. BTW, I was pulling for Cabrera.