HOLY CRAP, MY WIFE GAVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT!!!

Mike D

« on: 8 Jul 2004, 08:33 pm »
She said, "if I can have a yellow lab, you can have new speakers."  

Of course she was thinking speakers would be a few hundred dollars as opposed to $4,000!!!!  "I have a great system" I told her.  "It would take a lot of money to upgrade beyond my current speakers."  

As soon as I told her that I wanted Thiel CS 6 speakers used, which I may find for 4k or less after a year of shopping, she freaked out.  :-)

Yeah, she did not know what she was saying, but she said it.  I may consider a dog if I can get speakers of the Thiel CS 6 soundstage and depth.  It is GOING to happen.  heh heh heh

My amps are Rogue M150 monos.  What other speakers should I consider?  The Thiels would be less than great because they are so hard to drive.  My amps are usually in the triode mode which rates at around 85 watts per mono.

Here are some I'm considering: Ohm Walsh (low sensitivity, difficult load), Thiel 2.4 (low sens), Thiel CS 6 (low sens), Vandersteen 3a or 5 (low sens), Maggies (low sens).  What else is there out there with HUGEONGOUS soundstage and 90 to 96 efficiency?

Steve K,
When can I come over and bring my rogues for your Maggies?  I'm like a teacher in the summer time.....  no class.
 :wink:

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2004, 08:36 pm »
a line array from rick craig-selahaudio

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2004, 09:26 pm »
Cain and Cain BEN's!!!!!!!  

I like my boy's Excelarrays and all, but the BEN will make sawdust of those.   :o

Andrikos

Re: HOLY CRAP, MY WIFE GAVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT!!!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2004, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: Mike D
She said, "if I can have a yellow lab, you can have new speakers."  

Old Yelleeeeeer
Come back Yeller..
Best doggone dog in the world!

:)  :D  :lol:  :D  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2004, 10:20 pm »
VMPS RM 40's.  My guess is the Rogue amps should be able to drive them.

BTW, if you can find a pair of Vandy 5's for $4K BUY THEM IMMEDIATELY!!

I have never seen a pair go for that little.

You have an interesting mix of speakers on your list.  If you picked a handful of vendors out of a hat you couldn't get more different sounding speakers.  Just curious...where did you come up with your list?   :o

George

Bingenito

Someone ask for huge soundstage?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2004, 10:33 pm »
When is comes to a huge soundstage you cant do much better then a line array.

I second the Selah Audio recommendation. I would speak with Rick at Selah before buying anything.

I do not regret it  :D

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2004, 11:44 pm »
Dude, no offense but, I LOVE YOUR WIFE!!!  :o  :lol:

Now that I have that out of the way, enjoy it while it lasts because once the kids come, it's all over!! :(

But seriously folks, yeah, my wife says go ahead and have another GAS get together. Hell, we just had all the carpet cleaned today so what better reason to christen it with a little spilt beer, right??

We gotta do that big band, trumpet thing. I even picked up a mint copy of Whipped Cream recently. Mint cover that is  :wink:

Tell you what, in that price range, you can save yourself some money and get yerself a used pair of Maggie 3.6's. Those Rogues would eat them up.  I'd be happy to let you take a spin with my lowly MG12's though, that is with the Rogues. My guess is my VTL's are probably pretty close in sound although you've got more power.

I'll check with HQ and we'll get together on a time. The kids will love that ole yeller and the Nintendo will sound great on your system! Trust me, I know.

Why don't you stop by Blackmore's tomorrow?

steve

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2004, 01:51 am »
Lucky sod :mrgreen:

Since you are thinking about quasi ribbons you may want to think about electrostats too. Now I'm not talking about Quads but I am talking about Logans. Specifically the Statements.

Music for Pleasure (I think) has an older pair of Statements sitting on their floor. Back room actually. These are the short squatty ones that are about the same size as Quads (about 5'x5' square). These were a demo pair that I saw come back in about a year ago. I have no idea if they are still there but I'd bet they'd make one helluva deal on them.

You'd definately need to integrate a pair of subs under them with an active crossover. That would do a couple of things. First it would give you loads of headroom on your Rogues (the Martin Logans are between 89-91dB eff) which means you could run them in the ultra sexy triode mode. Second you could get slammin, deep bass with the right subs.

If you are interested in goin gover there to see whats there, give me a buzz I'll go with. It's been the best part of a year since I've been to MFP.

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2004, 11:16 am »
Quote from: Scott F.
...... I am talking about Logans. Specifically the Statements.

Minor correction :oops:

They are the CLS's rather than the statements. Here's a couple of links worthy of looking at;

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/650/
JA was a little luke warm about them but you'll find varying reviews out there. Most of them are positive and say that they do best with tube amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5708935562&rd=1
Heres a pair on eBay.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2004, 12:42 pm »
For HUGE soundstage, how about the 3rd Rethm from Rethm Audio?  They aren't the best at complex music or bass extension (they are based on a single modified Lowther driver), but if you want soundstage, these are among the best I've ever heard...and they are very easy to drive...

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2004, 02:03 pm »
Phil, how about the Focus 788?  I can't remember the asking for those ones.  They have quite a big soundstage, better than the Thiel's I have heard (although I haven't heard the CS6).  

RM40's are great, I'd recommend them but big soundstage isn't their strength.  Selah Audio arrays is probably a good suggestion.  Definitely check out Focus if you get a chance as these are killer speakers if you want soundstage and imaging!  Maybe check out the Gallo Reference IIIs.

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2004, 02:39 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Phil, how about the Focus 788?  I can't remember the asking for those ones.  They have quite a big soundstage, better than the Thiel's I have heard (although I haven't heard the CS6).  .

As an alternative to the Thiel CS6, I would definitely recommend the Focus FS-788.  But he did ask for suggestions of 90db-96db speakers, and the FS-788 is a 86db speaker (although I do think that his 85wpc triode tube amps would sound great with the FS-788!  Less than 60wpc, I might shy away..).

Here's a recent review of the FS788:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/focusaudio_fs788.htm